No announcement yet.

Das Beast: My E30 track / street build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, the paint adventure continues. Rob's comment: "I hate paint". :devil: Notice he never has anything to do with body work? He did help put the bumper on today, so I was impressed.

Apparently there are few paint shops in the USA that mix Glasurit. One of them is in Dallas. The base pigments (see above) they use to mix Glasurit 22 are almost totally used up. When they're gone, there is no more.

I'm going to print this out on high gloss heavy duty stock and have them try color matching it locally with a machine to PPG or other common brands.

Colors look right compared to this car. Red could be a bit darker.

Might go with this instead.

"And then we broke the car. Again." Mark Donohue, "The Unfair Advantage"

1987 E30 3L Turbo Stroker Das Beast
    2002 E39 M5

Comment

Originally posted by dvallis View Post
      Per NASA Racing safety specs "Installing a fuel cell that hangs significantly close to the ground or one that is mounted closest to the rear of the vehicle, even if the installation meets with these rules, may be deemed unsafe and therefore excluded from competition."

Dropping the cell through the floor means moving it aft of the diff, i.e. very close to the rear of the car. NASA tech inspector had a look and was not loving it. Failing tech would be an ignominious non-start for Das Beast racing career. Leaving fuel cell over the diff only gives us 3" - 4" of drop. Meh.

We'll see ........

NASA never has had an issue with any of the PRO3 cars running the fuel cell below the trunk floor. That's including the 25 Hours of Thunderhill. I still use the stock tank, because it's in a perfect location, and with dual pump setup, never have experienced starvation issues unless it's nearly empty..

I'll see if I can find some pics of the fuel cells in a few PRO3 cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
      2016 Ford Flex
      2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

Yeah, we did seriously consider keeping the stock tank. Some FIA spec racing orgs insist on a fuel cell, so we decided to be safe. Also the Beast is boosted so fuel starvation is instant death. Did not want our expensive engine blowing up.

Ultimately if we don't like the location it's easy to move. We've got the fab skills and tools.

2002 E39 M5

Comment

Last edited by apostate; 11-15-2017, 02:56 PM.

Comment

Have you ever built a race car, or driven one in door to door competition?

2002 E39 M5

Comment

I would think that if anything the tank would have the opposite effect. More likely to rotate when on the brakes at corner entry...

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

Wave, you are correct. Anyone who has actually driven a race car knows that. I learned on 911 with a giant hunk of engine waaayyy out back. Rule 1 - "Don't lift in corners or you WILL go ass end into the wall." Ask me how I know. :devil:

I just discovered the "Ignore List" feature. Ahhh. So peaceful now.

2002 E39 M5

Comment

Have you ever built a race car, or driven one in door to door competition?
                  I have, and I've seen hundreds, and the tank is out back behind the diff on 90% of them.
                  cars beep boop

Comment

in any case, 200 pounds of gas is a big compromise in basically any position. the stock location in an e30 is one of the best possible cases, but only so much fuel fits there and it's basically impossible to retrofit a cell into that location. pick your poison.

edit: yes, your tank is sized for sprint heats so it's less weight than an enduro cell would be. still, moment is moment.
                    cars beep boop

Comment

Correct Kronos. I ran years of sprint races at TWS in an ITS 240Z with fuel cell in the exact same position. It was not ass heavy and held the class track record set by previous owner. We'd typically run a 1/2 tank, so that's 47 lbs right over the diff. (not behind it) I found it actually gave better traction at the start of the race.

IMO entirely too much hysteria about this, especially from those who have never been there done that.

2002 E39 M5

Comment

Originally posted by Digitalwave View Post
                        I would think that if anything the tank would have the opposite effect. More likely to rotate when on the brakes at corner entry...
                        Not really. All the way up to corner entry point you're just braking and not cornering yet. It's hard braking up to this point. After that point is trail braking which eases the load on the front and transfers it to the rear.
                        After actually cornering is where you may find yourself in trouble and it usually happens near to the apex of the turn since this is where, especially in tight turns, the car changes its direction most abruptly. We are not talking long & beautiful high speed turns. They are not an issue even with a trailer pulling behind.

P.S.
                        It's funny that the OP behaves like an ass. Don't know what pissed him off with my posts in this thread, but I don't care any more.
                        I did like this thread and recently tried to give some useful input. Won't bother him any further, he seems to know everything.

Comment

Found a nice set of tail crack free early tail lights. Need some polishing but apparently feline approved.

2002 E39 M5

Comment

Frivolous friday

Yes, it's Frivolous Friday on Das Beast. Local shop had a lot of cool historic BMWs sitting around that I thought you'd appreciate. Some of these I'd never heard of before.

1967 BMW 1600. Sexy.

Bet you didn't notice the BMW M1 ProCar in the background? It's in the process of being restored. Glad they're saving a piece of history.

3.0 CSL. Terry's favorite. I love the roof spoiler. Das Beast might get one. :devil:

Authentic E21 Alpina B6 2.8

Another E21. Might be a parts donor for the Alpina. Noooooo.

Who can guess what this is? Digger, Varg or FF? It's an easy one.

Harder. What's this doing in a BMW?

This little guy is pretty weird. Shop used to race it for a laugh.

2002 E39 M5

Comment

Tail lights have some surface scuffs. Going to try mild polishing compound to buff them out by hand.

Before

This stuff

After. Wow. Works great. Looks like I'll be spending quality time in front of the TV polishing tail lights and watching F1 this weekend.

2002 E39 M5

Comment

Who can guess what this is? Digger, Varg or FF? It's an easy one.
                                2002ti

Comment

Working...
                                X