X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dvallis
    replied
    I like the overall shape so we're going with it

At the proper height. Needs a 2" air dam. Will fab it from lawn edging or something

This is bad. Splitter hitting oil pan

3.7 degree up angle, i.e. lift generator. Definitely don't want that.

Slight surgery to remove the offending piece

Good clearance now

0.28 down angle, same as garage floor

Frame is starting to shape up like this. Not totally sure what the final product will be, but it's getting there

There's room to make the tunnels 6" wider on each side. Would need different mounting points. I'm considering doing it.
    Last edited by dvallis; 06-05-2022, 03:55 PM.

Leave a comment:

• dvallis
    replied
    Yes. Going to fab them from 0.060" aluminum. We're out of sheet stock though. Metal shop opens Monday : - / Lowes only has 0.025" which is like tinfoil.

Leave a comment:

• moatilliatta
    replied
    Are you building your own splitter tunnels?

Leave a comment:

• dvallis
    replied
    Splitterama

Started with 1/2" oak plywood

Cut the sheet to 72x36 and started adding cutouts

Measured for fit to the IS valence. I had it upside down last time. Nobody noticed LoL

Planning the tunnels. Tire profile is black cross hatch bottom left

And finally done this phase. Good progress for an afternoon

Leave a comment:

• dvallis
    replied
    LoL. No aero penalties in NASA ST1/2/3. I can hang aero bits all over this thing. My crew chief just frowns and mutters "Drive faster ..."

Leave a comment:

• ForcedFirebird
    replied
    Diffuser is only 10 points in some racing classes. :p

Leave a comment:

• dvallis
    replied
    Tunnels make a big difference. See below, with and without. More blue, more downforce

Leave a comment:

• moatilliatta
    replied
    I like the splitter tunnels. :)

Leave a comment:

• dvallis
    replied
    Splitter CAD V2. Much better

Leave a comment:

• dvallis
    replied
    Friend of mine was lucky enough to have VIP access at the Reb Bull Racing UK facility. After researching splitter design all week, it's easy to see how these work now. Our splitters sit under the front of the car, theirs hang out in the breeze in front of it.

Lots of side aero going on as well.

Leave a comment:

• Digitalwave
    replied
    Looking good. I bet if you pick Johnny @ Nine Lives brain, he'd be glad to help out with the splitter design.

Leave a comment:

• dvallis
    replied
    Beginnings of a splitter. Rough dimensions, locations of supports etc. Tunnels are cross hatched. We'll use this to CAD a template with better symmetry. It's a start.

Leave a comment:

• dvallis
    replied
    Finally updated the diffuser to cover the full width of the car. Been wanting to do that for some time. Looks way better.

​​​​​​​
    ​​​​​​​
    ​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

​​​​​​​Also changed to lighter weight oil. We were running Molly 10W60 since I had it around for the E39 M5 but it's WAY too heavy. Oil pressure was 60 psi hot idle, 70 psi WOT.​​​​​​​ Switched to 30SAE VR1. Now we're 20 psi hot idle, 40 psi in turns, 60 psi WOT. Perfect

Leave a comment:

• dvallis
    replied
    Will do.

We're going to dial the ride height down from "F150" (to get out of our driveway) and down to race mode, see where we're at.

Leave a comment:

• Digitalwave
    replied
    Interested to see what you come up with for the splitter, I need to build one for my new car.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X