Das Beast: My E30 track / street build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dvallis View Post
    Remember this nice piece of work? I picked it up from an E30 guy on eBay. Using it to scope out the fuel rail situation. Obviously not using the stock rail. :devil: Might make my own.

Catching up on your work. It looks great! Keep going!
    I would look into a better plenum for the intake. This looks good but I think you will have some pretty big losses in the number 6 cylinder. It's a turbo so it won't be sooo bad, but I bet once you get it up and running, a new plenum will let it breathe a lot nicer.

Great job!

Comment

Hey Peterman. Flow should be similar to this. Yeah, it could be bigger at #6, but we'll see. Rob wants to learn TIG welding anyway, so we'll just make our own if this one sucks :devil:

Flow rates for above model

Slight differences but same theme for all the ones below

"And then we broke the car. Again." Mark Donohue, "The Unfair Advantage"

1987 E30 3L Turbo Stroker Das Beast
      2002 E39 M5

Comment

Hey Peterman. Flow should be similar to this. Yeah, it could be bigger at #6, but we'll see. Rob wants to learn TIG welding anyway, so we'll just make our own if this one sucks :devil:

If you are learning TIG welding - which I highly suggest you do its incredibly useful - you may want to spring for an AC/DC system so you can TIG aluminum too.
        I am looking into picking this one up in the near future.
        A long time standard in the Everlast lineup, the PowerTIG 200 models have been placed in all sorts of demanding conditions since 2009. It's a favorite among light and medium fabricators who want a simple interface, but still want to have upscale features. Undoubtedly, the newest version of the PowerTIG 200DV is the best yet. It is more efficient and power "sipping" than ever.

Side note:
        Glad you're doing a little flow analysis.
        However, it seems like you did a simultaneous flow which is not really indicative of the velocities and pressures in a 4 stroke motor. Without getting into it too much, you will need to set up a multi step simulation with variable pressure outlets (simulating vacuum caused by intake stroke of piston at a given RPM) with a boosted gage pressure at the inlet. The outlets will need to change from "pressure outlet" to a "wall" after their intake stroke has completed. The problem is a difficult one because you should never define inlet and outlet pressures in simulation - it makes convergence a real problem.
        It becomes a major pain in the butt.
        Or what you can do is let the flow develop for one cylinder, stop the simulation and use the final results as initial conditions for the next cylinder in the simulation. It won't be AS accurate but it will be closer.
        All this assuming you have the time and desire to do the simulation.

If you don't have the software you can check out www.Simscale.com
        They have free CFD software that is cloud based. It runs off of OpenFOAM (open source) which is arguably the most powerful CFD out there.

Comment

Hmmmm. I have a crypto currency rig that pulls 200 MH/s. Might need to repurpose it for CFD runs. That would be cool. Thanks for the simulation tips.

Wasn't there a guy on here by the name of DF Buttchug that has a flow bench? I could just have him test this instead of getting into all the simulation.

2002 E39 M5

Comment

Dash Beast

Got the new tails all polished and installed. One more thing down on the way to getting done.

Decided to tackle the dash today. It's sitting off center in the car. Left side needs to be trimmed.

After the surgery. Made room for out relay box under the switch console as well. If you'e never cut fiberglass before, don't do this indoors. The freaking dust gets EVERYWHERE.

New gauge template. This will get transferred to aluminum.

Here's the new layout. Big tach with programmable shift light, oil pressure, fuel pressure, water temp and fuel level (missing). I looked at a DTM style layout (smaller tach, two more gauges) but really, there's nothing else I want front and center when on the track.

Custom fabricated aluminum enclosure for relays, data acquisition etc. will go here.

Transfer worked out Ok. Called it a day since I don't have a 4-1/2" hole saw for the tach.

2002 E39 M5

Comment

oh man dash is going in! Are you planning on leaving it white? I think you should flock it. we recently flocked an e36 m3 dash for a canyon/track build and its quite lovely. A white dash also might be pretty harsh on the eyes...just some food for thought
              1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

I'm leaning towards flat black paint. Flocking looks like a major pain in the ass. :devil:

2002 E39 M5

Comment

I doubt you will get a 4.5 inch hole saw. You will need to use a knock out punch, but a 4.5" costs about 300 bucks. See if there's a fab shop around you that would have one or willing to throw it on their laser/plasma cutter for you - which is more likely.

That fiberglass dash looks awesome. I'll have to search backwards to see how you did it.

Comment

Y

Harder. What's this doing in a BMW?

Is this a 700? That's crazy that they have one if so.

Comment

Ye of little faith. Behold the 4-1/2" hole saw. $18 from Amazon with next day delivery. Freaking amazing how fast they deliver random stuff.

2002 E39 M5

Comment

Peterman, you're right. That was a BMW 700. Never even heard of it before, much less seen one. Very cool.

2002 E39 M5

Comment

I'm leaning towards flat black paint. Flocking looks like a major pain in the ass. :devil:

It takes about ten minutes. Did it last weekend. It’s just dusty is all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Looks messy. Obi Wan would have a stroke if we did this in the garage.

It does look nice, but seems like a hell of a dust catcher.

Video here. Since we can't embed youtube any more. (PAGING MODERATORS!!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2BnfI8LLAk

2002 E39 M5

Comment

Hmmmm. Flocking can look good on an E30 race dash.

2002 E39 M5

Comment

if you don't want to flock, use texture paint. you mostly want to break up big flat reflective areas, since they'll be shiny even with flat paint.
                                cars beep boop

Comment

Working...
                                X