Das Beast: My E30 track / street build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

stupid question

what block are you using. really dumb question i know but looking to build a 2.8 stroker build like this with a 86 es block and a 885 head.

Comment

stupid question 2

i guess my real question is are the m20b27 and m20b25 bare blocks the same. got an 86 es block for free. currently have a running 87 m20b25 and wanna use the E block to build a 2.8 turbo stroker on a bench while still driving in the m20b25

Comment

I'm using an M20B25 block, M52B28 crank, M20B27 rods, machined pistons and a built M20B25 head.
        "And then we broke the car. Again." Mark Donohue, "The Unfair Advantage"

1987 E30 3L Turbo Stroker Das Beast
        2002 E39 M5

Comment

Air Box ... Evolved

Did research on header and exhaust wraps this week. Should have done it months ago but it just wasn't top of mind. Based on what I read, decided against wrapping anything. Read this article and make your own decision. I was convinced ceramic coating is the way to go.

Fortunately there is a good ceramic coating shop relatively near by .. up in Leander TX. Enigma Coatings (No affiliation) They have great prices and their work looks good.

I had to break down the turbo before bringing it over to them. Exhaust housing and exhaust header are getting coated. Added bonus is they sand blast everything before coating so I don't have to worry about that rust on the exhaust housing.

More charge air bits came in this week. Throttle body was a larger diameter than charge tubing so I needed a different adapter. Worked out well.

Was missing a coupler on the intercooler outlet. That worked out as well.

Air filter showed up, along with the coupler and silicone charge tubing for it. Had to butcher both a bit.

"Everyone's got a plan until they get punched in the face." Hmmm. Need some mid course adjustment on the air box.

Air box ... evolved.

Turing cardboard into reality. I love the pan brake.

Getting there

It's a start. Good template for the rest of the design.

To be continued ....
          Last edited by dvallis; 08-03-2018, 06:14 PM. Reason: typo

2002 E39 M5

Comment

Love the 'CAD' design haha
            Simon
            Current Cars:
            -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Cardboard aided design.

LOL

[IMG]https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z.com-vbulletin/550x225/80-parkerbsig_5096690e71d912ec1addc4a84e99c374685fc03 8.jpg[/IMG

Comment

CAD = Cardboard Aided Design. Laughing my ass off at that one! :devil:

2002 E39 M5

Comment

You dont know project binky?

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
                  '89 325i OBD2 S52 BUILD THREAD
                  Shadetree30

Comment

Never heard of it. But even my wife cracked up over Cardboard Aided Design.

2002 E39 M5

Comment

Look it up on youtube. Thats the origin of the joke ;) and im sure you will enjoy the series, reminds me of this car and project

'89 325i OBD2 S52 BUILD THREAD
                      Shadetree30

Comment

CAD ... beatch!

Just need to add heat shielding and install.

2002 E39 M5

Comment

Originally posted by Sh3rpak!ng View Post
                          You dont know project binky?

Love that series.

Comment

Air box with final insulation and cover

Installed. There was a bit of "beat to fit" but not much

Moving on to the turbo charge pipes. Everything clamped down and solid except the turbo and throttle body connections. Turbo exhaust and manifold is still out getting ceramic coated.

Throttle body is shaping up. All the right pieces in place. I goofed on the wiring harness a bit and made the throttle position sensor lead too short. That's an easy fix though. We're working on the throttle cable bracket and attachment to the throttle body now. It was 80% there when I bought it. We improved the engineering somewhat.

2002 E39 M5

Comment

Just received this book, I look forward to reading it :)

Is that stuff on the airbox the fiberglass backed heatshield stuff? I just got some for my Datsuns' headers
                              Simon
                              Current Cars:
                              -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Unfair Advantage is my all time favorite auto racing book. Lots in there about fabrication, car development and especially race craft.

That's the same fiberglass backed DEI stuff I used on the firewall.

2002 E39 M5

Comment

Working...
                                X