Bottom rear View

Top front view

Top rear view

We'll paint it, then bolt it on.
    "And then we broke the car. Again." Mark Donohue, "The Unfair Advantage"

1987 E30 3L Turbo Stroker Das Beast
    2002 E39 M5

Comment

I remember when you started and you meticulously weighed everything that you stripped from the car and I’m curious if you’re weighing every individual thing that you put back on the car? Just wondering and what your total is so far since you’re close to having it built.
      My son has the 1987 325e, 2 door, 5speed
      I daily the 1989 325i, 4 door, 5speed

Comment

Are you still planning on using this car on the street?

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

Still going to use it on the street. Clearance for the diffuser is ok, but you wouldn't want to dive bomb over any speed bumps. Will be building scales, corner balancing and getting a final weight soon. Since we removed virtually everything from the car, my guess is we will still come in under 2000 lbs.

2002 E39 M5

Comment

I'm sure you have enough ground clearance, I was just curious since the car is so hardcore.

I'm guessing your weight is going to be more in the 2300-2400lb range, unless you have a lot of composite body panels + plastic windows that I missed. My 318iS slick top with an NA M20, carbon hood, carbon manual mirrors, half cage, essentially no interior (at least, less than you have), no sound deadening, and various other lightening methods is 2,400 even with 1/4 tank of gas. Your cage, engine bay w/ the turbo setup, dash setup with the HVAC system, brakes, etc. are all heavier than on my car. I'm definitely curious to see the outcome.
            Last edited by Digitalwave; 09-13-2018, 08:15 AM.

RISING EDGE

Comment

Don't have my spreadsheet handy but there were a lot of weight saving measures. Deleted entire interior, tire well, sunroof, headliner, metal bumpers, HVAC, AC, power steering, ABS, headers, mech fan, floor tar trunk tar, gas tank, under body heat shields.

Using fiberglass hood, elec fan, plastic bumpers, aluminum seats, lexan windows, lightweight exhaust, fiberglass dash, lightweight HVAC.

Added cage, turbo, intercooler, fuel cell, diffuser, big brakes. I'm guessing closer to 2K lbs. Will revisit the spreadsheet.

Will definitely be interesting to see the final number.
              Last edited by dvallis; 09-13-2018, 09:27 AM. Reason: Typo

2002 E39 M5

Comment

cages are heavy. our racer (early chassis, totally stripped, no trunk, no spare well, no back half of the roof or rear bulkhead, windshield only, all panel reinforcements cut from doors and hood) was 2470 with 24gal.
                cars beep boop

Comment

I have all the same lightening you have done, besides the plastic windows (they probably save 40-60lbs?) and I have power steering. I have less weight added back (your turbo, big brakes, full cage, fuel setup looks fairly heavy). I'd be surprised if it was under 2,400. The scales won't lie, so we'll find out soon enough.

RISING EDGE

Comment

bugg breakz are light tho
                    cars beep boop

Comment

Pulled the spreadsheet. Car weight was reduced by 822 lbs by removing things and/or substituting with lighter alternatives. We added about 275 lbs of turbo, fuel cell, cage and diffuser.

Looks like the curb weight will be about 2265. Plus me and some gas. LoL

2002 E39 M5

Comment

Diffuser fully installed. Perfect fit. You can't see it in this shot but floor of the diffuser is flush with the bottom of the diff. Upper diffuser vent intakes are in line with the rear axles.

We moved on to the front end. Rebuilt each headlight with LED dual beam outboard and air intakes inboard. Reforming each housing and rebuilding the aiming mechanisms was a cast iron beeech.

Turned out good though.

We made it this far and called it quits today. Das Beast is finally starting to look like a BMW again.

Last edited by dvallis; 09-16-2018, 10:42 AM. Reason: typo

2002 E39 M5

Comment

Very nice
                          https://www.facebook.com/Cry_77_IX-110483784967661
                          https://www.instagram.com/cry_77_ix/

Comment

Diffuser looks money. I spent a few hours reading through this thread again and man, your work is meticulous and impressive. Looks like the finish line is in sight and I can't wait to hear this bad boy start up finally

Comment

Kindred spirits

Here is a little something to fill in a lull in the action.

More wiring.

https://youtu.be/QBXT1sHP92w

Comment

??? Everything ok down there?
                                My son has the 1987 325e, 2 door, 5speed
                                I daily the 1989 325i, 4 door, 5speed

Comment

Working...
                                X