X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dvallis
    replied
    IVT: Involuntary Variable Timing

Amputated the Nuke gear. Confirmed we had slipped to 10 degrees retard. And was probably moving around under hard deceleration. Involuntary Variable Timing. Ugh.

The good news is no valves were bent. All cylinders compression checked to ~210 psi. Compression really improved after break-in.

-Pre break-in: 180 185 204 210 181 180
    Post break-in: 210 211 210 210 211 210

Went back to the solid cam gear 0/0 TDC

Re-installed the rad, re-loaded the Das Beast tune, burped the cooling system and drove around some. Ran perfect and felt strong. Ready for a real dyno tune

Leave a comment:

• JehTehsus
    replied
    I need to get down to the dyno soon, but I have a nuke gear and I am planning on spending some time/$$$ adjusting and characterizing different curves.

I have put a few thousand km on the car so far and the gear has not slipped.

Leave a comment:

• Nader393
    replied
    I don't think shifting the cam timing actually makes power, but instead moves it's location (including torque) vs. RPM on the dyno curve.

Leave a comment:

• dvallis
    replied
    So who is actually running any mechanical advance to make more power. With what cam? I'm running a 284/272.

Let's hear a roll call.

Leave a comment:

• Northern
    replied
    I like the nuke gear vs the old ebay ones and a lot of people run them without issues.
    I'd personally just fire some low/med strength loctite on the bolts and send it, but I also understand the urge to yeet the item that causes pain

Leave a comment:

• dvallis
    replied
    Cam gear threw a bolt and slipped. We were running 20 degrees retard. Nuke gear is getting deleted. We'll do a compression check to see if the valves were damaged. Deeper valve pockets may have saved us.

Better look at the timing marks

Leave a comment:

• dvallis
    replied
    Bolted to the hub dyno.

Last edited by dvallis; 10-05-2021, 04:42 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Northern
    replied
    That's promising news! looking forward to the dyno

Leave a comment:

• dvallis
    replied
    Dumped the 0W break in oil today. Had some metal particulate as expected but nothing out of the ordinary

10 new quarts of Moly 10W60

Oil pressure was GREAT after warm up. In long sweepers and under straight line throttle I'm seeing 60 psi. At a "bus stop" 90 degree turns I'm still getting 40 psi full on the brakes. The new baffled pan with 60 weight is doing exactly what we need.

Dyno tune on Tuesday

Leave a comment:

• dvallis
    replied
    Found our new tuner. We're taking it to Bardabe Performance here in Austin. He's got a Dynapack hub dyno and has a lot if experience using it.

We're changing out the break-in oil and filter this weekend for race oil, then off to the dyno on Tuesday.

Leave a comment:

• dvallis
    replied
    We put the rest of our 100 break-in miles on The Beast yesterday. This thing is really strong off boost. Co-pilot kept me at partial throttle and out of boost, LoL.

We data logged the whole thing. Here's a sample. You can see the boost controller doing its job, boost coming on until I got out of the throttle.

Going to swap out the break-in oil then see about getting this thing dyno tuned.

Leave a comment:

• dvallis
    replied
    Tightened up some water & boost hoses, tensioned the throttle cable and calibrated the TPS. It was reading -35% to 50% so ECU did not know WTF was going on. Response is even better now, even though I'm only driving at partial throttle <%30. Put 30 more miles on it. Will smoke test again this week.

Boost Logic shut down working on customer cars. It's R&D only now. Their tuner Roman moved to Dallas, opened his own shop with a four wheel dyno. Figuring out logistics on the tune next week.

Leave a comment:

• dvallis
    replied
    Simple really. Drive it in a wide variety of speeds, engine loads and RPM. No WOT since our compression is higher, want to avoid detonation. Stay out of boost. After a 100 miles or so, we'll bring it to Boost Logic for a dyno tune. THEN get on it like a sasquatch. : - )

Leave a comment:

• ADEN
    replied
    Originally posted by dvallis View Post
    Car is inspected, insured and street legal. Time to start putting on the break-in miles!
    Curious of the way of breaking in: grandma route or drive it like you stole it lol.

Leave a comment:

• dvallis
    replied
    Car is inspected, insured and street legal. Time to start putting on the break-in miles!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X