288 cam in a 2.8 stroker with stock inlet manifold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

288 cam in a 2.8 stroker with stock inlet manifold

So 3 of us here in Vancouver Canada all work at the same place, and we all have M20 stroker build plans.

I've already built a 2.8 stroker with a dbilas 276 cam years ago, and it went well. Still is as far as I know.

This time around, all 3 builds will be getting aftermarket pistons. Most probably from Top End as Steve has sold me pistons before, and is the dealer for JE. We all have m52B28 motors ready to strip down for the good bits (crank and rods).

As we can spec whatever compression ratio we want, and one of us (maybe me too) wants to run the schrick 288. Using Wallace racing dynamic compression calculator it looks like 11:1 compression is about right for the 288, 85mm bore with the 2.8 crank.

What would this be like as a street motor? Using the factory intake?

I know the limitations of the factory intake but going down the itb route is harder than actually building the engine lol. Plus, if the engine looks stock externally we can apply for collector plates and only pay $300 per year to insure/register the car.

Also, I have my eyes on a s52b32 US crank which could be used instead of the 2.8 crank.

So, thoughts? Experience with this cam or setup?

Would like your thoughts digger as you were a great help in building my last M20.
    Pulling my hair out with all these friggin BMW's:
    2000 M5 Winter beater
    1984 318i Coupe 2.5 S14 going in the car below.
    1988 M3 Lachssilber: I'm the second owner, currently recommissioning.

What powerband are you after ? Stock ecu ?
    89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Yes good question. Well if we are using the stock intake manifold the power band would be limited to max 6k, so I guess a 288 is not really worth it.

Stock ecu. Chipped or otherwise. I had good results from a chip from the UK via e30zone....
      2000 M5 Winter beater

Comment

Yeah just when it's starting to "come on " then it starts to get limited by intake.

I'd hate a 288 on motronic.
        89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

Comment

There should be a sticky on what cams NOT to get because of stuff
          i assume has already been proven on an m20. For the bigger the better type of guys.

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post

I'd hate a 288 on motronic.
            x9999

OP, your limit isn't the intake as much as your proposed tuning.
            ADAMS Autosport

Comment

Well on a friend's car, he ran a 2.8 stroker on the dyno with a Miller war chip and mag combo, and it fell over at under 6k rpm. Like mine did. He then fitted RHD itbs and carbon airbox, and ran the same tuning software, just remapped, and it kept making power up over 6k. So in that sense, the stock intake was the limiting factor.

But yes, a chipped motronic is not going to give the best results, but I did initially run my stroker on a chipped DME with AFM and it did go well for what it was. It was smooth and torquey, just not as perky as it was once I did Miller MAF.

It would be good to hear from someone who has run the 288 cam with a stock manifold... I just wonder what the idle was like, and how it was through the rev range. Provided the compression was enough for that cam...
              2000 M5 Winter beater

Comment

Originally posted by clarkson View Post
                Well on a friend's car, he ran a 2.8 stroker on the dyno with a Miller war chip and mag combo, and it fell over at under 6k rpm. Like mine did. He then fitted RHD itbs and carbon airbox, and ran the same tuning software, just remapped, and it kept making power up over 6k. So in that sense, the stock intake was the limiting factor.

But yes, a chipped motronic is not going to give the best results, but I did initially run my stroker on a chipped DME with AFM and it did go well for what it was. It was smooth and torquey, just not as perky as it was once I did Miller MAF.

It would be good to hear from someone who has run the 288 cam with a stock manifold... I just wonder what the idle was like, and how it was through the rev range. Provided the compression was enough for that cam...
                there was a 2.7/2.8L stroker with 312 dbilas cam that still fell over at 6k at the typical 200-220whp limit that most seem to find with the OE manifold. run it on a RHD kit it be peaking 7500+rpm and 250whp. on a 3L with 288 it will peak around 7000rpm with RHD kit

Comment

Working...
                X