Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hasa
    replied

310bhp N/A M20B29 on the video. Probably 400whp on a Dynocom scale ...lol.

Leave a comment:

• dvallis
    replied
    Updating the thread with new turbine numbers

Original: Precision Turbo T4 6262 0.7 A/R compressor, 62 mm inducer, 82 mm exducer, 0.84 A/R turbine, 2.5" inlet, 4" outlet

Updated: Same as above, changing turbine to 0.58 A/R

19 PSI

10 PSI

Leave a comment:

• SLEEPYDUB
    replied
    Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
    ^^^we had discussed you power a long time ago on this forum. Local made 518 @ 19psi, same turbo, but straight b25, same cam too - glad to see it's verified. One of the plots that aren't to be made public. :(
    Yea i was skeptical about that when you mentioned it! I am glad to see that its possible, and boy look at that curve, looks great for a single cam!

Leave a comment:

• SLEEPYDUB
    replied
    Updated with Video
    Watch till the end

Street Tuned Stock unknown mileage bottom end M20B27, 885 head w/ 280/274 cam and ARPs, T3 6266, Ethanol, MS3 Pro Evo, Sequential Fuel/Ignition, 2.85" exhaus...

Leave a comment:

• ForcedFirebird
    replied
    ^^^we had discussed you power a long time ago on this forum. Local made 518 @ 19psi, same turbo, but straight b25, same cam too - glad to see it's verified. One of the plots that aren't to be made public. :(

Leave a comment:

• SLEEPYDUB
    replied
    ​​​​​​Over the last few months we opened up a dyno tuning shop, DyNomad Mobile Tuning, here in North Louisiana. Since we have opened, I've had very little time to mess with my own M20 E30, but yesterday after installing our lift, we had a little free time to see what the ol girl puts down, and we were not disappointed. This car has been sitting for the last 6 months. The tank was still 1/8th full of old Ethanol, so of course we used it. The battery was dead and had to be jumped off to even get onto the rollers. Air filter was dirty and is small, but we left it on.

Here's the run down on the setup:
    Engine: Unknown Mileage STOCK B27 Short Block with borrowed #2 piston, rod, and bearings from a destroyed motor we had laying around.
    Head: STOCK head gasket with ARP Studs, 280/274 cam, HD Rockers and Springs, Welded Coolant Channels.
    Turbo Setup: RSI Manifold, Precision T3 Gen 1 6266 0.84, 2.85“ straight Exhaust (yes, not even 3"), dirty and small air filter, Precision 46mm wastegate, no BOV
    Fuel: ID1000, Walbro 450, STOCK feed and and return,
    STOCK fuel rail, STOCK FPR
    ECU: MS3 Pro Evo, Full Sequential Ignition and Fuel, LS coil packs, Mac 4 port boost controller, AEM wideband.

This is the first time this car has ever seen a dyno, as it is 100% street tuned. We figured it was making pretty good power, so before we tore it apart for the forged stroker swap, we decided to see what kind of power we had been making on this stock bottom end for the last few years.
    Wastegate pressure - ~13psi - 404whp/415tq
    High Boost ~21psi - 522whp/527tq

We honestly could keep going. Plenty of fuel left for more power, I think we could get close to 600whp if we wanted a glory run.
    We are going to work on a few small things before we remove the engine, maybe we will get it back on there for a glory run. We will see.

Watch till the end for a treat

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_156243.jpg
Views:	818
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	9957928 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_156245.jpg
Views:	765
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	9957929 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_156246.jpg
Views:	764
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	9957930 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_156247.jpg
Views:	758
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	9957931 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_156248.jpg
Views:	765
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	9957932
    Last edited by SLEEPYDUB; 10-28-2020, 07:23 AM.

Leave a comment:

• digger
    replied
    Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post

Those cars both have a 3.2mm thick HG as well
    goes down to ~9.3:1

Leave a comment:

• 2mAn
    replied
    I sent this to Jason Cammisa in the hopes that we can help his Touring make some more power lol

Leave a comment:

• AWDBOB
    replied
    Originally posted by digger View Post
    m54b30 pistons have CH 28.3

206.1-135-28.3-44.8 = -2.0 mm so pistons sits 2.0 mm above deck. if you machine 2mm off with a stock gasket that is like 10.5:1
    Those cars both have a 3.2mm thick HG as well

Leave a comment:

• digger
    replied
    m54b30 pistons have CH 28.3

206.1-135-28.3-44.8 = -2.0 mm so pistons sits 2.0 mm above deck. if you machine 2mm off with a stock gasket that is like 10.5:1

Leave a comment:

• AWDBOB
    replied
    Originally posted by digger View Post
    thanks for posting
    Of course! It is also worth noting that that my 3.1L started off as one of these 3L m20s. I never got to dyno the one that I had, so I'm happy to now have numbers to use for comparison once my engine is running.

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
    Right on Bobbie - strong motors. Been a bit since we dyno'd an m20. Built a few 24vs and am going next week for a 13b rotary MS/ITB conversion.

I have a hard time with the 12:1 and stock - or 272 cam for that matter. Might want to see about that information. With a stock cam and 9.4:1 we are seeing 200psi cranking compression, I would expect detonation in the mid range with pump fuel, and 225+ cranking compression with 12:1 and stock cam (another member here was having detonation issues with 11:1 and 272 cam).

It appears car #2 could use some fuel trimming, for sure. Car #1 also seems like a little less fuel at 5700 would help the peak.

We saw just the opposite. Our MS car did about 6 more whp over the stock ECU car, but was with headers, extruded intake and stock cam added.

Send me the files to John@m20guru.com, maybe I can overlay them. The scaling is different between the runs, might just have to scale everything.
    John- sent the files over.

Also, agreed regarding compression. I'm not sure the comp was ever fully calculated, so I suspect that number to be a "somewhere around there" type of figure. The cars didn't appear to detonate, so I assume the actual compression is lower than 12:1.

Dwights quote regarding compression from a BAT listing:

"The pistons were stock M54’s that had been shaved 2mm on the top and then they had 17 thousandths of ceramic coating. The compression ratio is about 12 to 1. Our metallurgist told us the pistons would withstand 12 to 1 compression ratio on pump gas. The cometic head gasket added 3.2mm to the block height which allowed for a high compression ratio."

Leave a comment:

• ForcedFirebird
    replied
    Right on Bobbie - strong motors. Been a bit since we dyno'd an m20. Built a few 24vs and am going next week for a 13b rotary MS/ITB conversion.

I have a hard time with the 12:1 and stock - or 272 cam for that matter. Might want to see about that information. With a stock cam and 9.4:1 we are seeing 200psi cranking compression, I would expect detonation in the mid range with pump fuel, and 225+ cranking compression with 12:1 and stock cam (another member here was having detonation issues with 11:1 and 272 cam).

It appears car #2 could use some fuel trimming, for sure. Car #1 also seems like a little less fuel at 5700 would help the peak.

We saw just the opposite. Our MS car did about 6 more whp over the stock ECU car, but was with headers, extruded intake and stock cam added.

Send me the files to John@m20guru.com, maybe I can overlay them. The scaling is different between the runs, might just have to scale everything.

Leave a comment:

• digger
    replied
    thanks for posting

Leave a comment:

• AWDBOB
    replied
    Figured I'd add to this thread- two 3L M20 cars built by Zionsville Autosport went on a local Dynojet today.

Both M20b30s were built using M54b30 internals, pistons shaved down 2mm and then had .0017 of ceramic coating added to the domes. Using a thicker MLS (not totally sure of exact size), compression is supposedly around 12:1. These aren't my claims, just the info I got from Dwight.

Car one was stock ecu, car two was Megasquirt. Stock ECU car had a 272 cam and a BBTB, but made less power than the car with Megasquirt.

Dwight and I had a bet on what the Megasquirt car would make, I guessed 185/210.

Anyway, onto the results. Also, to note, I tried to do an overlay in WinPep but couldn't get it to read right. I have the dyno files that I can send someone if they cared to do an overlay of cars 1&2.

Car #1:

Runs 1&2 are with stock chip in the stock ECU, runs 3&4 are with an SSSquid chip setup for this configuration of parts. You can see the curve smoothes out and AFRs also get much safer with the squid chip where the stock ECU was going lean.

Bolt ons:

-IE Billet 272 Cam
    -BBTB

MILLS by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr

Car #2:

This car has a PNP Megasquirt setup with a Miller MAF somehow configured in there. I don't know the details of the t00n, but the bottom end is the exact same as car #1.

This car has a stock cam, and otherwise doesn't have any mods outside of the standalone, but made much stronger numbers. The tune is crazy rich up until 5K, and falls off like crazy after 6K.

LILE by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr

Edit: Adding a photo of car #1 because it's a beautiful, extremely low mile Japanese MT2 car.

Untitled by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr
    Last edited by AWDBOB; 03-22-2021, 07:13 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ForcedFirebird
    replied
    Originally posted by LowR3V'in View Post
    have you seen any power from retarding the cam seeing as allot of people resurfaced/shaved heads but with no adjustable gear.
    Yes. Apparently the Schrick likes to be ~4° behind. In a racing series you may be docked points for using an adjustable gear, though....

Leave a comment:

Working...
X