No announcement yet.

ForcedFirebird's m20 dyno thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yup, the 84 would be perfect my main problem is availability where I live. Live on a little island

Comment

Get one sent to your little island. It will be worth it though getting the original crank you had planned is probably better as the bottom end and midrange torque will be a lot better
      89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post
        my guess is the differences are mostly breathing mods
        Originally posted by LowR3V'in View Post
        looks like that cam isn't doing shit

Swapped the diff out, it was smoked. I couldn't even turn the output flanges by hand once it was on the ground. If it was that stuck static, I could only imagine how much it was dragging at top speeds. I wondered why the graph kinda went flat from 5-6000rpm, then dipped, were m20's usually have a smooth curve that peaks at 6k.

Again, not sure that car will go back to the dyno anytime soon, but will see what I can do.
        john@m20guru.com
        Links:
        Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Originally posted by darvo View Post
          Yup, the 84 would be perfect my main problem is availability where I live. Live on a little island
          Originally posted by digger View Post
          Get one sent to your little island. It will be worth it though getting the original crank you had planned is probably better as the bottom end and midrange torque will be a lot better

I agree with Digger. Should be able to get one shipped from the states to PR.
          john@m20guru.com
          Links:

Comment

Thanks Guys! I'll keep an eye on a 84mm, aint 89.6mm bad for rod/stroke ratio?

Comment

Thanks Guys! I'll keep an eye on a 84mm, aint 89.6mm bad for rod/stroke ratio?
              I have an 89.6mm S52 crank for sale if you're interested. Can ship to your island if you pay for it. Crank was recently polished within spec, balanced, and even comes with the snout spacer you'll need for the M20. Message me if you're interested in it
              - AXIS POWERS - 2JZ E30 Build
              Current Project - 87 325is 2JZ Swapped with M4 DCT

Comment

Originally posted by SLEEPYDUB View Post
                I have an 89.6mm S52 crank for sale if you're interested. Can ship to your island if you pay for it. Crank was recently polished within spec, balanced, and even comes with the snout spacer you'll need for the M20. Message me if you're interested in it

He needs the 84mm and has the 89.6 (which is putting his pistons way out of the deck - hence the .100" gasket plan).
                john@m20guru.com
                Links:

Comment

Ah my bad
                  - AXIS POWERS - 2JZ E30 Build
                  Current Project - 87 325is 2JZ Swapped with M4 DCT

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
                    He needs the 84mm and has the 89.6 (which is putting his pistons way out of the deck - hence the .100" gasket plan).
                    His pistons are originally intended for 89.6 so he should get that but he'll need to get the 135 rods to go with it.
                    89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

Comment

The pistons are 12:1 for 89.6 and 135mm rods, but the m54 block disappeared after Hurricane María.

I only got a E block laying so, I was looking for 139mm rods to use with a 81mm to match the deck height but only found 138mm to use with the pistons.

The 0.100 gasket is to lower the compression to 11.2-11.5, I would like that CR with my current cam.

Comment

Originally posted by SLEEPYDUB View Post
                        Pmed for shipping quote

Comment

Nice Dyno #'s! I recently purchased a set of 12:1 85mm Vac 885 head pistons for a 89.6 and 135mm stroker build but the m54 block I had in mind was thrown away before I got to it.
                          The pistons are 12:1 for 89.6 and 135mm rods, but the m54 block disappeared after Hurricane María.
                          I might be missunderstanding what you are trying to say but you can't put an 885 head on a M54 block.

Comment

He was going to remove the rotating assembly from it

Comment

Again, not sure that car will go back to the dyno anytime soon, but will see what I can do.

Welp, it definitely won't be dyno'd again. Raced the cars last weekend and had a couple minor issues - but the 168hp car definitely pulled on the 180hp car in the straights - but the 180hp car ended up making better lap times due to it having coil overs - pretty sure the diff was causing some serious parasitic losses on the dyno.

After 315 laps on a 2.6mi course, I was driving the 168 hp car and it lost oil pressure in a high speed right hand sweeper with 5min left after 14hr of racing. I heard the noise/knock, looked down at the gauges and saw the oil pressure at 10psi and dropping fast (was at about 3500rpm). Got the car back to the trailer and pulled the dip stick, it was almost a quart low. Our fault. We hadn't checked the oil the entire race as we had a small couple small issues - fuel filter clogged from surface rust in the tank (it sits a lot), and later on in the race the crank sensor started acting up. We got so zoned in on these items, we never bothered to check oil level.

At the Road Atlanta circuit, the 168hp car was able to put down a 1:50 and the 180hp car put down a 1:48 - both on 200 rated street tires and mid-level drivers. Fastest e30 of the day put out a 1:45 in which I had the pleasure to lap with on my last stint, that car was just as quick on the straights, but they clearly had a much better driver (or suspension) as he was able to shake me in the corners.
                              john@m20guru.com
                              Links:

Comment

How valuable would an audible alarm be for oil pressure? Or is it too noisy to be heard in a racing environment?

Comment

Working...
                                X