No announcement yet.

ForcedFirebird's m20 dyno thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Funny timing, here is a recent project that might be relevant 8^)

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-3533 (Small).JPG
Views:	1284
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	9877181
    My M20 Frankenbuild(s)
    4 Sale - Fully Built TurnKey Megasquirt Plug and Play EMS

Comment

one tensioner on the timing belt is more than enough....
      89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post
        one tensioner on the timing belt is more than enough....
        I don't understand your statement?? There is only one
        My M20 Frankenbuild(s)

Comment

yes there is only one but i'm against incorporating additional idlers, tensioners into the Vee belt system for the additional cost, points of failure and maintenance.

it would make more sense on an M30 which needs the extra space
          89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

yes there is only one but i'm against incorporating additional idlers, tensioners into the Vee belt system for the additional cost, points of failure and maintenance.
            You threw me on the 'timing belt'. You could run without the tensioner and idler and just use the manual adjusters and would be 100% stock BMW non maintenance parts. it allows to run a newer damper and one that's tuned (if there is any real difference) for the 84mm crank that I am running. I also have a ATI damper for my S54 that I am seeing what I can do for a hub.

it would make more sense on an M30 which needs the extra space
            Or a supercharger setup 8^)

(ignore the alternator holding up the SC, that was just to hold it while checking the SC > plenum > throttles alignment)

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-3484 (Small).JPG Views:	0 Size:	92.6 KB ID:	9877254

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
            Only options ATM are using a 24v damper, which is larger in diameter and has the OlT mark at 2 o'clock vs 10 o'clock (easy fix), will require custom CPS bracket and either change to vee belt damper, or serpentine alternator other oprtion is totally a custom /adapted unit.
            Sorry for derailing your thread I though it was relevant to your post, I will make a new thread
            My M20 Frankenbuild(s)

Comment

'Bird this is a great thread. Will be sure to post my dyno run here.
              "And then we broke the car. Again." Mark Donohue, "The Unfair Advantage"

1987 E30 3L Turbo Stroker Das Beast
              2002 E39 M5

Comment

I'm not sweating it Keith, it's relevant. What did you do for the CPS?

Right on dvallis.

john@m20guru.com
                Links:
                Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Das Beast 2.8L turbo stroker M20

See Build Thread page 1 for specs

BLACK : 6 psi
                  RED : 10 psi
                  BLUE: 16 psi
                  GREEN: 19 psi

Click image for larger version

Name:	bq4KHCv.png
Views:	1025
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	9911863

2002 E39 M5

Comment

That's a curve I'd love to see in any of my cars. How does it drive, did you get a chance to test it?
                    '85 Alpine Weiß 2-door with m20b30 ground up build

Comment

It's really well behaved, drivable and fun. I'm getting 5-10 psi boost at partial throttle, so maybe 200-250 HP. At WOT 19 psi the boost comes on like Mike Tyson punching you in the face. Make sure you're pointed in a straight line, hold on and try not to scream like a little girl. :-)

2002 E39 M5

Comment

Thanks for that, dvallis. It is very rare that someone posts a dyno printout that good. Usually it's one or two runs just to brag about the peak hp number when the comparison is the real value of a dyno in the first place. I had a little fun with your numbers since I don't get to see this kind of comparison with turbo cars too often. Of course it's not gospel, just for comparison, and forcing linearity is only way to easily display what kind of power increase your build is seeing per added psi of boost (the slope of the line).

Click image for larger version  Name:	Annotation 2020-03-20 093833.png Views:	0 Size:	24.4 KB ID:	9912497
                        Last edited by varg; 03-20-2020, 01:35 PM.

IG @turbovarg
                        '91 318is, M20 turbo
                        [CoTM: 4-18]
                        '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                        - updated 1-26

Comment

Hey Varg, that's a good way to look at it. We've got a nice study of HP for M20 turbo stroker builds.

2002 E39 M5

Comment

This thread is great. Thanks to everyone who's contributed. After reading through it, I'm amazed that my engine (284/272) on a stock b25 has held up d/t my severe lack of knowledge with tolerances/clearances. Round 2 is going to be much better.

How many miles should a Schrick 284/272 cam last? I think I'm around 40k, regular oil changes Castrol GTX 20/50
                            09 BMW 328xi touring 6spd
                            05 Subaru Outback XT 5spd
                            87 BMW 325is
                            a few bicycles

Comment

Originally posted by LowR3V'in View Post
                              have you seen any power from retarding the cam seeing as allot of people resurfaced/shaved heads but with no adjustable gear.
                              Yes. Apparently the Schrick likes to be ~4° behind. In a racing series you may be docked points for using an adjustable gear, though....
                              john@m20guru.com
                              Links:
                              Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Figured I'd add to this thread- two 3L M20 cars built by Zionsville Autosport went on a local Dynojet today.

Both M20b30s were built using M54b30 internals, pistons shaved down 2mm and then had .0017 of ceramic coating added to the domes. Using a thicker MLS (not totally sure of exact size), compression is supposedly around 12:1. These aren't my claims, just the info I got from Dwight.

Car one was stock ecu, car two was Megasquirt. Stock ECU car had a 272 cam and a BBTB, but made less power than the car with Megasquirt.

Dwight and I had a bet on what the Megasquirt car would make, I guessed 185/210.

Anyway, onto the results. Also, to note, I tried to do an overlay in WinPep but couldn't get it to read right. I have the dyno files that I can send someone if they cared to do an overlay of cars 1&2.

Car #1:

Runs 1&2 are with stock chip in the stock ECU, runs 3&4 are with an SSSquid chip setup for this configuration of parts. You can see the curve smoothes out and AFRs also get much safer with the squid chip where the stock ECU was going lean.

Bolt ons:

-IE Billet 272 Cam
                                -BBTB

MILLS by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr

Car #2:

This car has a PNP Megasquirt setup with a Miller MAF somehow configured in there. I don't know the details of the t00n, but the bottom end is the exact same as car #1.

This car has a stock cam, and otherwise doesn't have any mods outside of the standalone, but made much stronger numbers. The tune is crazy rich up until 5K, and falls off like crazy after 6K.

LILE by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr

Edit: Adding a photo of car #1 because it's a beautiful, extremely low mile Japanese MT2 car.

Untitled by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr
                                Last edited by AWDBOB; 03-22-2021, 07:13 PM.
                                1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
                                1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Working...
                                X