• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• darvo
    replied
    Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
    Oh yea thats right.

I was thinking about my SuperETA block...

Im really curious what mine will make with the package I am expecting in a week ;)
    What will your setup be?

Leave a comment:

• 2mAn
    replied
    Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
    The added stroke is what bumps the compression - swept volume. The 2mm off the deck is because the crank is 6mm more (3mm up, 3mm down strokes), but the rods are 5mm shorter than b25. Taking the 2mm puts the pistons back up close to the head. If you didn't shave them, you would have an extremely large quench/squish (distance between the head and pistons at TDC).
    Oh yea thats right.

I was thinking about my SuperETA block...

Im really curious what mine will make with the package I am expecting in a week ;)

Leave a comment:

• ForcedFirebird
    replied
    Originally posted by LowR3V'in View Post
    Would it matter as much on an FI engine?

That's a whole 'nother conversation. When you pressurize a system, you are no longer relying on the atmosphere to "allow" the air charge to enter an engine, you are "forcing" it in.

I actually prefer to make an engine as strong as I can BEFORE adding above atmo. The old saying "lower the compression, add more boost" is moot in modern days - when generally, if you have a strong engine and add boost, the strong engine will always out perform a low compression over all - just keep in mind when you have a lot of added static compression and add boost, your tuning window gets extremely small - low compression/high boost engines are very forgiving on timing and fuel delivery, and fuel type becomes critical on high comp.

I am not afraid to boost 10:1 engines. The low compression gig is a fallacy IMO.

I like to say N/A all the way! Anyone can throw a big turbo on a car, not many people can pull big numbers from an N/A engine.

Leave a comment:

• digger
    replied
    50% more flow from making it a poofteenth bigger? yeah righto....they are also doing it wrong as you need a piece at the end to stop the edges of the exit being rounded over and screwing up the matching of the interface to the head

i had a manifold treated with a similar process (but not EH) the flow numbers improved and so did the balance but it made noticeably less power by 9whp...i got a spare one treated so it wasn't the same manifold. if it made the same power then i could say maybe th operator didn't pump enough shit down its throat, but to go backward maybe the polish isn't so good? the AFR were identical within 0.2AFR the entire run with no tune changes so probably moving the same amount of air but not making power from it so combustion efficiency and BSFC down the toilet. after that i got the MM pulse tune manifold and did a cam swap
    Last edited by digger; 02-01-2019, 07:38 PM.

Leave a comment:

• LowR3V'in
    replied
    on that extrude vid u linked
    i don't really know what those numbers really mean but just notice
    the very even distribution of the runners.
    Seems like a good thing but based on the number differences before/after
    is it worth the money vs power you are seeing? Would it matter as much on an FI engine?
    Last edited by LowR3V'in; 02-01-2019, 06:29 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ForcedFirebird
    replied
    Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
    How much of a difference do you think it is with and without that 2mm off the deck? Im guessing that bumps the CR from ~8.5:1 to ~9.5:1

The added stroke is what bumps the compression - swept volume. The 2mm off the deck is because the crank is 6mm more (3mm up, 3mm down strokes), but the rods are 5mm shorter than b25. Taking the 2mm puts the pistons back up close to the head. If you didn't shave them, you would have an extremely large quench/squish (distance between the head and pistons at TDC).

Leave a comment:

• 2mAn
    replied
    How much of a difference do you think it is with and without that 2mm off the deck? Im guessing that bumps the CR from ~8.5:1 to ~9.5:1

Leave a comment:

• ForcedFirebird
    replied
    Originally posted by LateFan View Post
    How is an "extrude hone" done in a curving intake runner like that? I'm trying to picture the hardware that does this. Is it just smoothing, or removing metal to enlarge the diameter?

Thanks -

I stopped by Extrude Hone to take a look at their AFM porting process and to get my 1993 Mustang Cobra / GT40 intake manifold ported. Extrude Hone created a ...

Leave a comment:

• LateFan
    replied
    How is an "extrude hone" done in a curving intake runner like that? I'm trying to picture the hardware that does this. Is it just smoothing, or removing metal to enlarge the diameter?

Thanks -

Leave a comment:

• ForcedFirebird
    replied
    Originally posted by digger View Post
    my guess is the differences are mostly breathing mods
    Originally posted by LowR3V'in View Post
    looks like that cam isn't doing shit

I just pushed the car into a spot to pull the diff, and something is dragging pretty hard. It's very easy to push backwards, but going forward is 2x the effort.

As far as the 2 engines and the cam, one added lift/duration for more flow with nothing upstream, and the stock cam car increased flow before/after combustion. I have dyno tested headers similar to these and they are worth 5-8whp/tq - but we are missing closer to 10.
    Last edited by ForcedFirebird; 02-01-2019, 12:58 PM.

Leave a comment:

• LowR3V'in
    replied
    looks like that cam isn't doing shit

Leave a comment:

• digger
    replied
    my guess is the differences are mostly breathing mods

Leave a comment:

• ForcedFirebird
    replied
    Originally posted by jeffnhiscars View Post
    Could the extruded intake have made that much difference and if I may ask what that costs ?

I have a feeling the diff is causing parasitic loss. Going to pull it out tomorrow anc check it out.

Originally posted by digger View Post
    It's amazing that both graphs are basically identical upto 5000rpm.

So the first has
    - standalone ecu
    - header
    - exrtrude hone
    - bbtb and fine style inlet
    - tighter squish clearance

But the second has a IE 272, is it regrind or Schrick knock off ?

New cam.

Two other differences are the first one has 3.73 final drive, second has 4.10 with oil pressure relief blocked (~80ish psi oil pressure max), and first had 10w40 conventional, second had 10w60 (~65 max oil pressure) - but don't believe the oil made the difference as they both were hot enough.

Leave a comment:

• digger
    replied
    It's amazing that both graphs are basically identical upto 5000rpm.

So the first has
    - standalone ecu
    - header
    - exrtrude hone
    - bbtb and fine style inlet
    - tighter squish clearance

But the second has a IE 272, is it regrind or Schrick knock off ?

Leave a comment:

• jeffnhiscars
    replied
    Could the extruded intake have made that much difference and if I may ask what that costs ?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X