M20 Timing..sputtering..uggh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M20 Timing..sputtering..uggh

OK....I changed my timing belt.....and have a sneaky suspicion that I am off one tooth...or have a DME Problem

Car runs fine...has a bit of a sputter at 5500rpm..which has me worried.

When replacing the belt...I aligned the lower crank pulley mark with the block and replaced timing belt exactly. I noticed that the cam timing mark was not exactly at the mark as the Bentley said...but..

I figured that I would merely replace exactly as it was...as I had a 350 mile trip immediately after the change...and didn't want to chance bending valves as it ran fine before (maybe not perfect..but motor would run)

History...bought this car...drove 15 miles..then changed the timing belt (which was dry-rot - about to break)...then drove 350 miles home to begin my Track Car Transformation.

The other item...car idles at 2000 rpm...but figure I have an ICV problem or something....probably unrelated.

Any insight as to the sputter as related to timing is greatly appreciated.

Ohh yeah...New Plugs, Wires, Dist Cap, Rotor on the car. And I never revved the car past 5500 during the 350 mile trip as I just wanted to get home...so I don't know if the sputter was present before or not.

Thanks in advance,
    Nitin G. Shanbhag
    BMWCCA #101510
    76 2002, 88 M3 Racecar, 88 M3 2.5, 95 M3 Slicktop, 96 E36 Trackbeater , 97 M3/4 Slicktop

Working...
X