Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Time to refresh and upgrade the M20. Looking for feedback on both.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• r-mm
    replied
    Yes you're right they're not taking action to balance them per se they're sending a before and after cleaning report and letting you decide if you replace injectors based on it. Here's what I got when I was building the 911
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• digger
    replied
    Originally posted by r-mm View Post
    Balancing is making sure each injector discharges the same qty of fuel at a given load.

IE sells new billet cams for 325 http://www.iemotorsport.com/bmw/item/m20cam272ie.html
    All they can do Is clean them and hope for the best. They can't adjust anything so they aren't really "balancing" them.

Leave a comment:

• r-mm
    replied
    Gotta love the M20. Test took all of 20 minutes and showing strong numbers, consistency for a luke warm more like cold motor with 118k.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3436.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	7200857Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3437.jpg
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	7200858Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3438.jpg
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	7200859Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3439.jpg
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	7200860Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3440.jpg
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	7200861

Leave a comment:

• retro89
    replied
    sub, in for the ride.

Leave a comment:

• jeffnhiscars
    replied
    The PO used unknown waterpump, belt tensioner and I believe one or both are contributing on an on/off squeak that new belts, tension can't cure. Are Geba and Ina "the good stuff" ? Listed as German made/OEM quality on FCP

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...11311469240kit
    Those are both good. INA is what comes with a conti kit

Leave a comment:

• r-mm
    replied
    The PO used unknown waterpump, belt tensioner and I believe one or both are contributing on an on/off squeak that new belts, tension can't cure. Are Geba and Ina "the good stuff" ? Listed as German made/OEM quality on FCP

Leave a comment:

• r-mm
    replied
    Balancing is making sure each injector discharges the same qty of fuel at a given load.

IE sells new billet cams for 325 http://www.iemotorsport.com/bmw/item/m20cam272ie.html

Leave a comment:

• Poorhouse
    replied
    I sent my injectors to southbay. $20 each for clean, reseal and test.

My cam was damaged so I had to do something. The I.E. was tempting but I didn't want a regrind. The Scrick was to expensive for a stock motor.

Exhaust manifolds I haven't checked closely yet. I would get a header if there was a good one at a semi reasonable price. Not familiar with the one you posted.

Leave a comment:

• digger
    replied
    oh ok thats why, it should cost about much less for a clean and o-rings. what is balancing lol

Leave a comment:

• r-mm
    replied
    Bosch parts, from Brazil. No idea how they compare to whats on the car. I paid $25 per for cleaning balancing orings when I had the injectors from the 911 done.

Leave a comment:

• digger
    replied
    Hey there - I saw and read your thread, thanks for responding.

I too was waffling on the cam. I don't know if a slightly longer/higher cam combined with the featherweight flywheel would lead to less than DD-smooth idle in all conditions. Did you replace your cam nonetheless because it was scored/pitted?

Good tip on the bimmerheads kit - will probably save me from ordering little bits I'd otherwise forget

Will be home powdercoating bits. I'm having trouble finding 'correct' pics of the '89 engine bay but believe intake and valve cover would be natural alum, sealed so I'll probably blast them then shoot them in clear or silver.

And yes to all the others - none are real budget busters. I had the 911 injectors tested/balanced; felt good but they were within 5% of perfect to begin with. Noted that new Bosch injectors are available for darn close to the cost of servicing older ones.

Did you end up replacing the exh manifolds?
    cheap new injectors could be knock offs

Leave a comment:

• r-mm
    replied
    I saw some reference to these on past posts - the spec is certainly nice, any experience?

Leave a comment:

• r-mm
    replied
    Hey there - I saw and read your thread, thanks for responding.

I too was waffling on the cam. I don't know if a slightly longer/higher cam combined with the featherweight flywheel would lead to less than DD-smooth idle in all conditions. Did you replace your cam nonetheless because it was scored/pitted?

Good tip on the bimmerheads kit - will probably save me from ordering little bits I'd otherwise forget

Will be home powdercoating bits. I'm having trouble finding 'correct' pics of the '89 engine bay but believe intake and valve cover would be natural alum, sealed so I'll probably blast them then shoot them in clear or silver.

And yes to all the others - none are real budget busters. I had the 911 injectors tested/balanced; felt good but they were within 5% of perfect to begin with. Noted that new Bosch injectors are available for darn close to the cost of servicing older ones.

Did you end up replacing the exh manifolds?

Leave a comment:

• Poorhouse
    replied
    I'm doing the same thing you are right now on the same car.

Basically the same parts list. I didn't see there was much gain with the 272 cam on a stock engine. Just moving the power band up the rpm scale. I got a stock Febi cam for $140.

I used the engine gasket kit from Bimmerheads. Their price was really good.

Make sure you've got tools to get the crank sprocket off. My impact got it but I've read some people struggled with it.

You might think about painting ot powder coating the valve cover and intake manifold while they are off.

I sent my injectors out for a rebuild and balance.
    Good time to replace the fuel lines, vac lines and coolant hoses.

Might want to clean the throttle body and do the single vac line mod.

Update your steering rack with the engine out?

Rebuild shift linkage?

It's a slippery slope..

Leave a comment:

• r-mm
    replied
    Yes concur with you both. I have a general purpose machine shop line in my budget.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X