waterpump belt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

waterpump belt

posted about how i have a mad belt squeal on my 325i e30, looked at the belts and the water pump belt was just not tight at all, how should i go by tightening the belts?

Stop making threads, and replace your belts if you haven't to start it off. Get back to us after if it still has issues, On this thread.

also looking at your other thread about the car shutting off and bogging at unuasual times have you replaced your timing belt?

Comment

Originally posted by Sonny View Post
      Stop making threads
      Something about the pot calling the kettle black.

The belt tightening mechanisms on these are a bit tricky compared to most. Find the adjustment mechanism above the alternator, there is Locking nut on the back of it, and you turn the nut on the front and it sort of runs along some teeth on the adjustment mechanism. Then once its tight you do the locking nut back up again. I made the mistake of trying to turn the front nut without loosening the locking nut on the rear and stripped the teeth the nut. Don't do what i did.

Its a pretty ingenious tightening mechanism but yer if you don't know what you are looking for easy to damage by mistake.
      Last edited by e30davie; 04-02-2019, 10:46 PM.

Comment

^^^ and do it soon.

I had a loose alternator / water pump belt on the cabrio that shredded itself and left me stranded 100 miles from my destination. That was one expensive lesson :(

The E30 collection:
        1987 325es M52 - Schwarz / Taurus Red Sport (son #2's)
        1987 325is - Delphin / Black Sport (son #3's)
        1987 325i Convertible - Triple Black
        1989 325iX Coupe - Diamondschwarz / Black Comfort
        1990 325iX Coupe - Sterling Silver / Grey Sport

1981 Fiat 124 Spider 2000 - Green / Tan
        1998 Volvo V70 GLT - White / Tan
        1998 Volvo S70 T5 manual - White / Taupe
        2001 Ford Windstar - Silver / Grey (parts hauler)
        2006 Lexus GX470 - White / Tan (tow rig)

Comment

Originally posted by e30davie View Post
          Something about the pot calling the kettle black.

The belt tightening mechanisms on these are a bit tricky compared to most. Find the adjustment mechanism above the alternator, there is Locking nut on the back of it, and you turn the nut on the front and it sort of runs along some teeth on the adjustment mechanism. Then once its tight you do the locking nut back up again. I made the mistake of trying to turn the front nut without loosening the locking nut on the rear and stripped the teeth the nut. Don't do what i did.

Its a pretty ingenious tightening mechanism but yer if you don't know what you are looking for easy to damage by mistake.
          I can call the original owner and ask him when he last did the timing belt, if it hasn't been replaced ill go by replacing everything but if its just as simple as it needs to be a little tighter than i don't want to go through the hassle of taking all those pulleys apart. also may have maybe been affected by temperature car used to be in Nashville and now its in canada in a cold garage.. i dont know just throwing what im thinkin.

thanks for all the help.

Comment

Originally posted by EbzyyE30 View Post
            I can call the original owner and ask him when he last did the timing belt, if it hasn't been replaced ill go by replacing everything but if its just as simple as it needs to be a little tighter than i don't want to go through the hassle of taking all those pulleys apart. also may have maybe been affected by temperature car used to be in Nashville and now its in canada in a cold garage.. i dont know just throwing what im thinkin.

thanks for all the help.
            Belts are stretched probably, change them out it's pennies. Do you have a Bentley manual?
            Order one it's a must

Blunttech.com, email them and ask for a tune up kit , the best in the business!
            Last edited by Sonny; 04-03-2019, 09:23 AM.

Comment

+1

It's probably worth reading through the whole thing, but start with steps 13-14, then 17-19:

https://classicbimmerbits.com/e30-ho...t-replacement/
              sigpic

ClassicBimmerBits.com

Garage:______________________________________
              -1989 Alpinweiss II 325i - Other Daily Driver
              -1989 Zinnoberrot 325i - Daily Driver
              -1974 2002 - Weekender
              -1989 325ix - Totalled :(
              -1981 320i - Sold
              -1986 Porsche 944 Turbo - Sold

Comment

Originally posted by Sonny View Post
                Belts are stretched probably, change them out it's pennies. Do you have a Bentley manual?
                Order one it's a must

Blunttech.com, email them and ask for a tune up kit , the best in the business!
                I do have the bentley manual previous owner seemed like he took care of it, i do think the belts are stretched, ill read the manual and see what it says.

Comment

Originally posted by EbzyyE30 View Post
                  I do have the bentley manual previous owner seemed like he took care of it, i do think the belts are stretched, ill read the manual and see what it says.
                  Called the previous owner he told me that he doesn't exactly remember exactly but he thought he did it at 180/184k miles the car now is at 189 but im unsure if its broken odo or not, either way i dont think the timing belt is bad i just think the serpentine belts are loose at this point.

Comment

Don't over complicate things mate.

Inspect the front belts (water pump, alternator, aircon, power steering), if they look a bit cracked and old get new ons. if they look alright tighten them up as my my instructions above.

timing belt - figue out of the odo is broken. if it is then id be looking to change it when you can. if its not broken then happy days, few miles left in it yet. I've had a timing belt break on me, complete destruction of engine. nothing salvageable. its pretty rare, but when it happens its engine in the bin time.

Comment

Don't over complicate things mate.

Inspect the front belts (water pump, alternator, aircon, power steering), if they look a bit cracked and old get new ons. if they look alright tighten them up as my my instructions above.

timing belt - figue out of the odo is broken. if it is then id be looking to change it when you can. if its not broken then happy days, few miles left in it yet. I've had a timing belt break on me, complete destruction of engine. nothing salvageable. its pretty rare, but when it happens its engine in the bin time.
                      Ok so its been a while, been working on the car and studying for finals, i ended up tightening the belts everything is well on that behalf! the Odo works ive taken the car out for gas and driven it on some backroads. there is still some problems however. I have a leaky clutch master cylinder it only leaks a bit and im looking to just replace it next winter when i cant drive the car anymore ill just keep fluids topped up. the last thing that bothers me the most is at high rpm or under load im not really sure when it happens. sometimes i can rev it up till 4k/4.5k in second and shift to third everything will be smooth but if i step on it in third the car kinda loses everything. i dont know if its fuel related or clutch related cuz im pretty sure i have a good clutch even had the old man look at it so i dont think its slipping but again im not sure.

Need some suggestions! maybe seafoam if the fuel system is gunked up?

[EDIT] Did some research just now and it has come down to a backfire? first time it happened i thought i blew the motor i jumped out the car and looked under. but why does the car lose all power?
                      [EDIT 2] did some more research, pretty sure the car is running lean and it is hesitating. previous owner installed headers and different air filter from Kamotors. should i tune the car/ can it be tuned on stock ECU.
                      Last edited by EbzyyE30; 04-25-2019, 04:08 PM.

Comment

3rd gear is the most glorious feeling when the engine is running well.

Maybe you should freshen up the fuel injection. New temp sensors, oxygen sensor, fuel pressure regulator, and pop out the fuel rail and check/clean up the injectors. Fuel filter too.

Check replace the distributor and rotor, spark plugs, throttle switch, and check that the AFM board isn’t worn through its swipe contact.
                        My son has the 1987 325e, 2 door, 5speed
                        I daily the 1989 325i, 4 door, 5speed

Comment

Originally posted by 325e '87 View Post
                          3rd gear is the most glorious feeling when the engine is running well.

Maybe you should freshen up the fuel injection. New temp sensors, oxygen sensor, fuel pressure regulator, and pop out the fuel rail and check/clean up the injectors. Fuel filter too.

Check replace the distributor and rotor, spark plugs, throttle switch, and check that the AFM board isn’t worn through its swipe contact.
                          Sounds about right, thats what i will do, which temp sensors should be changed? i know i have to change the coolant temp sensors would that mess with fuel injection? Thanks for your input as-well!

Comment

Blue temp sensor and O2 sensor are both great parts to replace when diagnosing a rough running engine. I would go Bosch on both and both can be had on Amazon or RockAuto for about $80-90 total.

Aftermarket headers and an intake won't have any real effect on air/fuel mixture. Definitely don't need to tune for them. But is there anything else that's been done to the engine?

Elaborate on "in 3rd gear the car loses everything". That gives us no details on the problem at all.
                            Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by the_eskimo_wonder View Post
                              Blue temp sensor and O2 sensor are both great parts to replace when diagnosing a rough running engine. I would go Bosch on both and both can be had on Amazon or RockAuto for about $80-90 total.

Aftermarket headers and an intake won't have any real effect on air/fuel mixture. Definitely don't need to tune for them. But is there anything else that's been done to the engine?

Elaborate on "in 3rd gear the car loses everything". That gives us no details on the problem at all.
                              Yea the blue one i bought was bosch but it was not 80$ i got it for 20$ so im quite happy bout that. also i thought that if u do aftermarket intake it takes a substantial amount of air in compared to stock, so there might be too much air for the mixture, resulting in a backfire. what happens in third gear is at 3500 rpm the car lurks and jumps forward and loses all power for a split second, feels awful. i took my dad for a spin and showed him what it was and he said theres no way its anything to do with clutch but he's just as confused as me.

Question: when starting your e30, does the stock fuel pump make noise like it's turning on?

thanks in advance.

Comment

Working...
                              X