X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sonny
    replied
    Originally posted by EbzyyE30 View Post
    I can call the original owner and ask him when he last did the timing belt, if it hasn't been replaced ill go by replacing everything but if its just as simple as it needs to be a little tighter than i don't want to go through the hassle of taking all those pulleys apart. also may have maybe been affected by temperature car used to be in Nashville and now its in canada in a cold garage.. i dont know just throwing what im thinkin.

thanks for all the help.
    Belts are stretched probably, change them out it's pennies. Do you have a Bentley manual?
    Order one it's a must

Blunttech.com, email them and ask for a tune up kit , the best in the business!
    Last edited by Sonny; 04-03-2019, 09:23 AM.

Leave a comment:

• EbzyyE30
    replied
    Originally posted by e30davie View Post
    Something about the pot calling the kettle black.

The belt tightening mechanisms on these are a bit tricky compared to most. Find the adjustment mechanism above the alternator, there is Locking nut on the back of it, and you turn the nut on the front and it sort of runs along some teeth on the adjustment mechanism. Then once its tight you do the locking nut back up again. I made the mistake of trying to turn the front nut without loosening the locking nut on the rear and stripped the teeth the nut. Don't do what i did.

Its a pretty ingenious tightening mechanism but yer if you don't know what you are looking for easy to damage by mistake.
    I can call the original owner and ask him when he last did the timing belt, if it hasn't been replaced ill go by replacing everything but if its just as simple as it needs to be a little tighter than i don't want to go through the hassle of taking all those pulleys apart. also may have maybe been affected by temperature car used to be in Nashville and now its in canada in a cold garage.. i dont know just throwing what im thinkin.

thanks for all the help.

Leave a comment:

replied
    ^^^ and do it soon.

I had a loose alternator / water pump belt on the cabrio that shredded itself and left me stranded 100 miles from my destination. That was one expensive lesson :(

Leave a comment:

• e30davie
    replied
    Originally posted by Sonny View Post
    Stop making threads
    Something about the pot calling the kettle black.

The belt tightening mechanisms on these are a bit tricky compared to most. Find the adjustment mechanism above the alternator, there is Locking nut on the back of it, and you turn the nut on the front and it sort of runs along some teeth on the adjustment mechanism. Then once its tight you do the locking nut back up again. I made the mistake of trying to turn the front nut without loosening the locking nut on the rear and stripped the teeth the nut. Don't do what i did.

Its a pretty ingenious tightening mechanism but yer if you don't know what you are looking for easy to damage by mistake.
    Last edited by e30davie; 04-02-2019, 10:46 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Sonny
    replied
    Stop making threads, and replace your belts if you haven't to start it off. Get back to us after if it still has issues, On this thread.

also looking at your other thread about the car shutting off and bogging at unuasual times have you replaced your timing belt?

Leave a comment:

• EbzyyE30
    started a topic waterpump belt

waterpump belt

posted about how i have a mad belt squeal on my 325i e30, looked at the belts and the water pump belt was just not tight at all, how should i go by tightening the belts?
Working...
X