Weird noise after Head replacement.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weird noise after Head replacement.

Just replaced my head, head gasket, timing belt, water pump and all accompanying seals. When the car is running there is somewhat of a whining noise. It’s not noticeable at idle but when the car is revved a little you can hear it. I removed the accessory belts and the noise is still there. Anybody have any idea what it could be? I really hope it’s not the timing belt.

The noise sounds like a belt rubbing or something similar.

Comment

Did you do the timing belt?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Yes I replaced it along with the tensioner and tensioner spring.

Comment

Could it be an intake leak?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Maybe but the car isn’t throwing a check engine light or anything.

Comment

I installed my timing belt too tight one time and it made the engine sound like it had a supercharger. It is possible to stretch that belt one tooth too many. Also, the preferred sequence on the belt tensioner is to install leaving the lockdown bolt loose so that the spring is doing all the work, rotate engine twice, then tighten the tensioner down. Sometimes rotating the engine with a free floating tensioner gets forgotten.

You should get a stethoscope. Make it easy to find whiny parts.
              My son has the 1987 325e, 2 door, 5speed
              I daily the 1989 325i, 4 door, 5speed

Comment

yeah I think it’s something wrong with the timing belt. I took a video yesterday and when I got close to the timing covers the noise got louder. I’ll have to try your method of tensioning it. I assume if my problem is fixed I should just get a new timing belt?

Comment

Originally posted by ErickEnriquez View Post
                  yeah I think it’s something wrong with the timing belt. I took a video yesterday and when I got close to the timing covers the noise got louder. I’ll have to try your method of tensioning it. I assume if my problem is fixed I should just get a new timing belt?
                  No, fix your problem and put back your old belt since you just replaced it. Check steering pump it does what described.

Comment

It makes the noise with all the accessory belts removed. The timing belt sits towards the front of the cam gear so i assume its rubbing on the timing cover. I cant figure out how to get the timing belt to sit center. Ive tried retensioning it 3 times now.

Comment

You might have a bad tensioner. The quality of them is getting worse and worse...

t
                      now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

I found the problem. I wasnt pushing the belt far enough on when i was tensioning it so it didnt want to sit in the proper place. I pushed the belt all the way on then tensioned it and my it now sits center. Even ran the starter to make sure it stayed in place.

Comment

Working...
                        X