87’ BMW 325e, Slight Stutter When Accelerating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

87’ BMW 325e, Slight Stutter When Accelerating

hello! this is my first post on r3v, (used reddit lol). before replacing the two clogged injectors and replacing the whole ecu (it needed it), the car would sometimes stutter ridiculously when accelerating, to the point where the car won’t go anywhere. (doesn’t stall) i found that the way to fix this issue is to just turn the car off and back on and she’d be on her way. after replacing the ecu/injectors, the acceleration stutter has decreased tremendously and almost seems to only happen when i’m below a quarter of a tank. when the tank is full, the car runs beautifully w/ full power (hot or cold). even though the car runs amazingly, there is still a very slight stutter sometimes after changing gears. (very small stutter) since i recently got the car back from the shop, the BIG stutter has only occurred once. (when below quarter of a tank)

the car does have some history sitting (unknown) as well as the fuel tank being rusted (soaked the whole fuel tank in apple cider vinegar twice) we replaced the fuel filter and both pumps (main).

*replaced all injectors before working on anything fuel related (two of em got clogged according to the shop)

any advice to what could be causing the car to do this would be greatly appreciated.

*update: changed fuel filter, car runs very well on a full tank, but still have slight acceleration stutter.

Originally posted by YoungEnthusiast View Post
    as well as the fuel tank being rusted (soaked the whole fuel tank in apple cider vinegar twice) we replaced the fuel filter and both pumps (main).
    When the tank is low on fuel, I would pull the in tank pump and see how much crud is in the tank. My guess is when the fuel gets low, there is enough crud in the tank to clog the sock on the pump pick up. When there is plenty of fuel, is is sloshing around enough to not clog the sock.

I think you will be better off replacing that fuel tank.
    2004 525i Manual - 1985 325E Coupe Manual

Comment

Yes, crud in the tank

I used a plastic suction pump to suck up the crud in my tank, them rags on the end of a long screwdriver to final clean,
      Sea Foam fuel additive is magic to our cars, I think they all run better on a full tank.

tom

Comment

Working...
      X