diy auto tune quad spark trouble shooting help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just installed my mega squirt and DIY auto tunes quad spark with their 6 plug distributor. I can't seem to get the thing started. Its getting fuel and spark but the timing seems to be off.

It's like my timing is so off that it literally doesn't even stutter. So I unplugged my fuel injectors and tried to clear out the flooded cylinders and the car started to fire.

1. I checked my power to the coil and its good, I checked my plugs and they are correct. 123456 is the firing order of the coil pack and I have mine linked up with 153624.

2. Checked the grounds

3. pulled cylinder one wire and its getting power

4. Mega squirt is set to wasted spark.

5. Just took out the radiator and double checked the timing(luckily I haven't put coolant in it yet from when I just replaced it.

Any other ideas on what could be wrong? I really don't want to have to undo all my wiring to the MS to make sure it's wired properly, but I feel like that's all I have left unless my mega squirt setting are wrong.
    Last edited by Yuri; 05-07-2019, 05:21 PM.

Here are my mega squirt settings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The first things that jump out are your required fuel seems very high. Like almost triple mine. I'm running a medium size turbo and 42lb hr injectors. The skip pulses looks off but I'd have to double check. And tooth 1 angle? Ill have to read up on getting that setting but I thought 87ish depending on if its in stock location.? Most Def look into the required fuel.

Comment

I'm running the TRE PNP 60lb Fuel injectors, the equation they told me to run is lb x 10.5 which equals 630cc. Just kinda left it at that after I did the calculation...

Comment

Just wanna ask. Are you using stock injectors?

Comment

Is this a standard M20? I dont belive 97 is correct for the trigger offset, even though that is what is on the DIY auto tune website.

I belive the correct value is 84. I confirmed 84 is the correct number on my engine using a timing light, and this thread from a few yrs ago a few others said it was 84 as well.

I would think even at 97 it should still cough, but change it to 84 and see what happens. Also get a timing light and see if your spark is in the ball park with the timing mark.

Comment

Ok. Cool. I saw the number and went hmmm. That's a lot of fuel. ... That explains it.

Comment

Ill have to open my tune when I get out of work. But I know its 80 something....

Comment

Originally posted by e30davie View Post
                  Is this a standard M20? I dont belive 97 is correct for the trigger offset, even though that is what is on the DIY auto tune website.

I belive the correct value is 84. I confirmed 84 is the correct number on my engine using a timing light, and this thread from a few yrs ago a few others said it was 84 as well.

I would think even at 97 it should still cough, but change it to 84 and see what happens. Also get a timing light and see if your spark is in the ball park with the timing mark.
                  yes it is a standard m20b25

Alright, I just changed it to 84 and gave it another shot. It didn't work; however, I unplugged the injectors again to get rid of the fuel and the car started and hobbled better than shut off about a second later. Do you think my fuel injectors are just dowsing my plugs?

Gunna run to AutoZone and grab a light quick... $45... wish harbor freight was still open.
                  Last edited by Yuri; 05-07-2019, 07:16 PM.

Comment

Double check your req fuel, it seems super high, 3x+ what it should be, flooding the engine high. Then pull the plug wires and go into test mode, fire each coil from test mode and make sure that the appropriate coil fires, this will confirm that your outputs are set correctly. The tooth angle is wrong, but if everything else was correct it would probably still start or at least try.

IG @turbovarg
                    '91 318is, M20 turbo
                    [CoTM: 4-18]
                    '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                    - updated 1-26

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post
                      Double check your req fuel, it seems super high, 3x+ what it should be, flooding the engine high. Then pull the plug wires and go into test mode, fire each coil from test mode and make sure that the appropriate coil fires, this will confirm that your outputs are set correctly. The tooth angle is wrong, but if everything else was correct it would probably still start or at least try.
                      The required fuel seems high but the math is correct. ? I can't put my finger on it. I believe my injectors are set to 440 cc and my required fuel is only 6.3. Just trying to help.

Comment

Just got a timing light and drew this picture to show how advanced the timing was. Looks to be about 18 degrees assuming each tooth is 6 degrees. I have it set at 10.

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post
                          I'll give that a shot, standby

Comment

Set it at 0 and see how close it is, it will start and run on 0 (not very well).

I just did teh required fuel on your setup on the calculator on this site:

EFI, Fuel Injection, Auto, automotive, car, TPI, computation, ECU, MegaSquirt, GPIO, MicroSquirt, Sequencer, stim, MegaShift, MShift, DIY, transmission, 4L60E, 4L80E, controller, shifter

about half way down the page.

152 cub inch
                            6 cylinders
                            6 injectors
                            2 number of squires
                            injectors 60 lb/hr
                            injector staging alternating
                            fuel type gasoline

Required fuel = 4.4ms.

which matches up to the comment above about 440cc being around 6ms.

try that number and see if it fires into life.

What sort of VE figure do you have around idle? mine is around 38ish. Something around there should get it going.

Also check you arent dumping copious amounts of fuel in with any corrections (temperature correct), there is a corrections summary box you can look at to see what its doing.

also setup the flood clear, so you can go above ~70% throttle and the injectors wont fire. Saves having to unplug them every time.

Comment

You’re spot on! So this was the problem.

Apparently when you change the values in tuner studios on the drawn X rather than "required fuel", the calculation gets all messed up. I clicked required fuel, re-entered my info and it correctly formulated to 4.4. So I went outside and after almost a year of collecting parts, my car started right up.

Thank you guys so much for all your help, really appreciate you guys!

Last edited by Yuri; 05-07-2019, 10:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X