Castrol GTX ok for these old engines?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Castrol GTX ok for these old engines?

Looking to see if Castrol GTX in either 10w40 or 20w50 (leaning more towards the latter, as 10w40 in conventional seems a little too "thin") is suitable for the design of these old engines. My understanding is that they need an oil with enough moly/zinc for the non-hydraulic lifter setup.

thanks in advance!
    If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

myself and the PO of my 325is ran Castrol GTX exclusively, 10w40 winter and 20w50 summer. After 300k (km) my rockers/cam lobes were beautiful (timing belt carnage aside)
    Originally posted by priapism
    My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
    Originally posted by shameson
    Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

I've always avoided due to what a mechanic once told me about a red color that seemed to "dye" the internals a strange reddish hue.

For that reason alone, I generally avoided Castrol products (nothing actually wrong with it per se, just not as "clean" as M1, or Rotella T etc.).
      Considering the infrequent use of this old car, I don't see the point in running syn anymore (and would rather change a conventional oil more frequently).

Comment

If you're concerned about Zinc content, Castrol GTX 20W50 has significantly lower Zinc content than many comparable oils. But Zinc content isn't everything.

source on the zinc content figures: https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/

IG @turbovarg
        '91 318is, M20 turbo
        [CoTM: 4-18]
        '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
        - updated 1-26

Comment

Don't trust anything in that link, the testing methodology is not going to representative of anything in an engine. It'll be a one arm bandit machine and head and shoulders out performs any engine oil. He used to be on speedtalk but refused to give test method because everyone called him out on bs data
          89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Completely irrelevant to the zinc content comment I made but thanks anyway. The zinc content analysis is not going to be some cooked up testing methodology, chemical analysis is pretty standardized.

His tone is off at times and he doesn't publish much about his testing apparatus, replication being important to validity of scientific results, but he outsources his oil analysis and the results of it fall in line with other stuff I've seen (in the rare case that it is available). I haven't found a more extensive list of zinc content. Beats combing through dozens of search results of "I think" or "should be" on BitOG forums.
            Last edited by varg; 07-04-2019, 07:35 PM.

IG @turbovarg
            '91 318is, M20 turbo
            - updated 1-26

Comment

I agree that there is more than one way to skin a cat other than using zinc based high pressure additives and also find it amusing that the m20 requires special oil compared to others because it's a flat tappet unlike all others that are roller followers (or not )
              Somethings don't give much credibility to the whole thing though, people need to be aware was my point....caveat emptor
              89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

True that if M20s were particularly sensitive to what oil you use it's doubtful there'd be so many on the road with considerable numbers of miles on them. Even being somewhat known particularly low idle oil pressure there don't seem to be too many that die of lubrication issues. Spring open pressure seems to be pretty low, and the design of the valvetrain itself loads the cam/rocker interface nice and gradually and is pretty easy on the oil film.

IG @turbovarg
                '91 318is, M20 turbo
                - updated 1-26

Comment

I've been running 5/30 mobil 1 for many years... 285k on the clock m20. purrs. zero problems or issues.
                  maybe I'm an idiot? but it's been 18 years in that comfort seat....

sent from hell using Tapatalk
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  '90 325i sedan daily driven
                  '85 325e coupe also a daily

Comment

Yes, the m20 uses extremely low spring pressures compared to domestic counterparts, but they are in fact "flat tappet" wear syndicates.

I prefer to use higher zinc oils, but more importantly the oil needs to be changed more often than a "roller" type engine.

True that many m20's have a lot of mile on them, but it makes me wonder just how many miles people/owners have put on them themselves to have any say about any longevity. I typically keep my vehicles for 200k+ miles that were put on them personally. I use nothing but AC Delco in my lsx, but it gets changed every 3,000 miles religiously since new, and has been for 230k miles (still can't believe how bad one of the lifter ticks, then goes away with a quart of trans fluid or MMO). My street e30's have been driven all over the states, one of them had the motor pulled at 480k miles (rings were sticky, burned a lot of oil) and replaced with another used m20 with 1/4 the miles. The race car used to get M1 15w50, now uses LM 20w60, but it's on the 4th or 5th motor since 2013 racing 4-5 14hr races per year - hard to say on that one.

I have, however seen wiped cam lobes on m20's at the shop (also elderly Ford/GM with flat tappets), so I err on the side of caution when it comes to zddp.
                    john@m20guru.com
                    Links:
                    Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

After doing more research, I think a conventional like Rotella T4 would suit my needs.
                      It offers the additional zddp for the M20 design, and is cheap enough to do frequent OCI's. Only reason why I was asking about GTX, was due to the clearance at a local parts store.

The Petroleum Quality Institute of America (PQIA) is an independent resource for information and insights on the quality of lubricants in the marketplace. Our mission is to serve the consumer of lubricants by randomly sampling and independently testing lubricants taken from the field. Test results are posted along with the brand names on the PQIA website.

The Petroleum Quality Institute of America (PQIA) is an independent resource for information and insights on the quality of lubricants in the marketplace. Our mission is to serve the consumer of lubricants by randomly sampling and independently testing lubricants taken from the field. Test results are posted along with the brand names on the PQIA website.

Comment

If you don't mind full synthetic, Walmart usually has Mobil 1 15w50 for about $26/5qt.
                        john@m20guru.com
                        Links:

Comment

LiquiMoly sent a rep over the other day and he was going off about this oil when he saw my e30..
                          Originally posted by wholepailofwater
                          Q
                          :devil:

WTB: Dove Grey e36 Front Door Panels (2 door)

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
                            If you don't mind full synthetic, Walmart usually has Mobil 1 15w50 for about $26/5qt.
                            We don't get M1 15w50 anymore at most retailers in Canada anymore.
                            Not since about 05ish.
                            Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post

LiquiMoly sent a rep over the other day and he was going off about this oil when he saw my e30..
                            Hmm, considering it's a mineral oil I'd be up to trying that as well.
                            But again, I have no idea where I'd find such a boutique oil.
                            Most LM retailers I've come across only seem to offer the full syn versions.

Comment

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post

We use LM 10w60 int he race cars.
                              john@m20guru.com
                              Links:

Comment

Working...
                              X