e30 runs intermittently pig rich

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

e30 runs intermittently pig rich

Hello, I am a long time follower but first time posting. This forum has been very helpful in the 6 month time period I have had my 1986 325e. My problem is that it will run a little rich, but normal besides that. Then it will randomly go into an absolute pig rich state where it is completely undrivable. The only thing that I have found that temporarily fixes my issue is that i can unplug my idle air control valve while it is running, let it cycle a few times in the default mode and then plug it back in. After that it goes back to slightly rich but fine for a couple minutes.

I have replaced the following parts
    blue top sensor
    two prong sensor
    brown top sensor(just because it was only $6)
    afm (i am guessing it's why it is slightly rich i haven't messed with the idle adjustment yet as it is capped)
    new oxygen sensor
    newly rebuilt injectors
    new fuel pressure regulator

I have tested all sensor inputs at the ecu plug and everything tests within Bentley specifications. I have cleaned the idle control valve. Verified proper fuel pressure.

I am beginning to think i might have an intermittently malfunctioning ecu or idle control unit since unplugging the idle air control valve and plugging it back in seems to put it back to normal. Unfortunately I don't have any spares to test it with. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Working...
X