Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've read several rumors circulating that for a SETA swap into an i car, you need to use the SETA wire harness. I've read this more than a couple times, and looked over this thread a few times

While it has a ton of information, it doesn't have enough; it doesn't include nearly enough information for i-swap guys as it does for people who have the SETA or eta cars already. The most it gives us is "don't do this, just buy custom pistons" heh, well thanks, but my engines blown so I need a little more information than that

I have a complete i car minus the head and block (because they are cracked/warped). If I bought a complete SETA long block (head+block) can I just slap all my working i components on it and call it a day? Do I need the 88 SETA harness?

As far as I know; you can put the i head directly on the SETA bottom end; the SETA bottom end is completely identical to the eta bottom minus the SETA piston heads: crank, rods, and block are the same; pistons are special
    Last edited by JinormusJ; 12-26-2013, 09:07 AM.

Comment

it's the same harness..
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
        it's the same harness..

Thank you.

Comment

So curious from those with experience what my dad may be into with his upgrades. I gave him two years ago my '88 SETA and he has tinkered quite a bit with it and it is very strong driving it in autox situations.

1) Cat back
          2) i ecu with Conforti chips
          3) i MAF
          4) i throttle body
          1987 325i LeChump: H&R Race springs, weight reduction and beat to hell

2005 Mazda RX8: Koni Yellows, Hotchkis FSB, 245 BFG Rivals RTR #11

2011 Mazda CX7 Sport: The family truckster

2001 Buick Park Ave: The DD grandpamobile

1991 Ford F150 XLT 302: camping/towing

Comment

Originally posted by imprttuner88 View Post
            So curious from those with experience what my dad may be into with his upgrades. I gave him two years ago my '88 SETA and he has tinkered quite a bit with it and it is very strong driving it in autox situations.

1) Cat back
            2) i ecu with Conforti chips
            3) i MAF
            4) i throttle body

Better get an i cam and dual valve springs. The singles can lead to valve float with the higher rev limit. The eta cam wouldn't take advantage of that either with it's smaller lobes.
            Swanny!
            SUCKERS.

Comment

Originally posted by kenika65 View Post
              1982-1986 325,e,es[/U]
              Notes For 1982-1985: Use this diagram to connect 1.1/1.3 Motronic harness to body harness. http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i2...85318iC101.jpg

Parts Needed:
              i intake manifold, i throttle body, i injectors, i AFM(air fuel module), i FPR(fuel pressure regulator 3.0bar), all i pulleys(fan, water pump, crankshaft), i belts, i thermostat housing, i 173ecu(computer in glove box), all 1.1/1.3 Motronic harness and sensors, spark plug wires

Optional Parts:
              i double valve springs, i valve cover, i duel exhaust, i radiator and expansion tank, i single fuel pump fuel tank and fuel lines, i flywheel, i transmission with drive-shaft(Must use original center support bearing), i differential(4.10 from ix), i brake booster, i 90amp alternator[U]
              I need to replace my spark plugs and spark plug wires on my 86 325es with 885 head. Do I use e/es plugs and wires or i?

Comment

I wires
                Swanny!
                SUCKERS.

Comment

Originally posted by Swanny View Post
                  I wires

Perfect. Just double checking, thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm collecting parts to put an i head on my 88 325e. So far I have an i head, intake manifold, throttle body, iac, intake boot, and afm. I'm aware that I need to replace the glovebox computer.

What else do I need for the swap? Since my car is an 88 with the seta motor I know things are a bit different (and I'm hoping simpler) for this swap.

Comment

just get the ECU and you're good to go!

Parts list for the 1988 super eta, seta

Parts Needed:
                      i intake manifold, i 173ecu(computer in glove box)

Optional Parts:
                      i cam, i double valve springs, i dual exhaust, i radiator and expansion tank, i single fuel pump fuel tank and fuel lines, i flywheel, i transmission with drive-shaft(Must use original center support bearing), i differential(4.10 from ix), i brake booster, i 90amp alternator
                      Last edited by squidmaster; 01-23-2014, 08:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by squidmaster View Post
                        just get the ECU and you're good to go!

Parts list for the 1988 super eta, seta

Parts Needed:
                        i intake manifold, i 173ecu(computer in glove box)

Optional Parts:
                        i cam, i double valve springs, i dual exhaust, i radiator and expansion tank, i single fuel pump fuel tank and fuel lines, i flywheel, i transmission with drive-shaft(Must use original center support bearing), i differential(4.10 from ix), i brake booster, i 90amp alternator
                        yes ECU. and i would highly recommend the I cam (or aftermarket since youll be saving money on all the parts you wont need to buy with the seta :) I exhaust I dual valve springs and differential. also make sure you read a bit more on the first page

Comment

I assumed he has a complete 885 head but good thing to mention. In my personal opinion, the valve springs and cam are not optional. I mean they are, but they're such necessary parts to really bring the build to fruition.

Comment

Originally posted by squidmaster View Post
                            I assumed he has a complete 885 head but good thing to mention. In my personal opinion, the valve springs and cam are not optional. I mean they are, but they're such necessary parts to really bring the build to fruition.
                            i agree. but IIRC the SETA doesnt come with I cam or dual valve springs it is just the head casting in 885 (intake exhaust port size) unless im mistaken on that.

Comment

You are correct
                              Swanny!
                              SUCKERS.

Comment

You're absolutely right

Comment

Working...
                                X