This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Read this!

The e crank is a 2.7 crank the i rods are 2.5 rods the super eta pistons match the i head but if you mix this combo the super eta pistons will come out of the block and possibly hit the head or a valve.

So the only way to use i rods is to have custom pistons, which is why I am suggesting getting a super eta bottom end and you will be happy.

1986 325es (69k) Garage Queen Buy It Now 10k;1986 325es (track rat) 2.7i How-To & 1.1/1.3Motronic UpGrade
    1991 318is (daily driver) 1991 318is M42 Maintenance How-To;1989 325i (parts car)

Comment

I hate to ask and look like I didn't read at all, but there's too much information for too many different engines in this thread.

I'm getting the bottom end of a 20k (yes, 20,000 mile) eta, and a 325i intake manifold and throttle body from a buddy of mine for parting out his car. I want to do the 2.7i using the eta bottom end, super eta pistons, and a 325i head. Is the combination of those 3 the correct way to go for doing a good NA 2.7i? Do I use the stock eta rods with the super eta pistons? Also, I'll be using the Motronic 1.3 ECU and harness.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Anderson View Post
        I hate to ask and look like I didn't read at all, but there's too much information for too many different engines in this thread.

I'm getting the bottom end of a 20k (yes, 20,000 mile) eta, and a 325i intake manifold and throttle body from a buddy of mine for parting out his car. I want to do the 2.7i using the eta bottom end, super eta pistons, and a 325i head. Is the combination of those 3 the correct way to go for doing a good NA 2.7i? Do I use the stock eta rods with the super eta pistons? Also, I'll be using the Motronic 1.3 ECU and harness.
        yes, and yes. seta and eta rods are the same thing.
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by EtaSport View Post
          You do not need to swap all of the parts listed in the first post. The coils are universal, (im still using my original fuel pumps even with my m50), the exhaust manifolds are almost identical. The only things you really need are:
          AFM
          TPS
          FPR
          thermostat housing with all sensors (only 2)
          crank position sensor with reluctor wheel (front crank pulley)
          spark plug wires for the pick-up on wire #6
          injectors
          ICV
          and thats about it if i remember.
          This list just about covers the rest of what I'll need too, right? He had a 325es, so I'm safe using the dual fuel pumps, since he said he's still using his.

My other question is about the flywheel. I won't know for sure until I pull it apart, but I'm 99% sure that my car has an early single mass, unlike most etas that had the dual mass. If that's the case, can I use it? Or with the little sensor doo-dad on the eta flywheel interfere with it's running in the motor?

Comment

if you swap to motronic 1.3, there will be no crank sensor on the flywheel, you can use it. It would be wise to cover up the holes in the transmission where the two sensors go though.
            Old and improved:

Comment

i know that etas put out more torque but how much i know they say the 2.7 stroker isnt worth the $'s for i guys but it seems to me you can get an eta bottom end for dirt fucking cheap.....im not soo sure on finding the seta pistons though now that i think about it

Comment

This list just about covers the rest of what I'll need too, right? He had a 325es, so I'm safe using the dual fuel pumps, since he said he's still using his.

My other question is about the flywheel. I won't know for sure until I pull it apart, but I'm 99% sure that my car has an early single mass, unlike most etas that had the dual mass. If that's the case, can I use it? Or with the little sensor doo-dad on the eta flywheel interfere with it's running in the motor?
                Think of it this way, you are taking an i car and putting a 88super eta bottom end in. So everything you would need for an i car you will need for the 2.7i. Your best bet is to get a i parts car. It took me 3 days to swap parts.

You don't have to use the single pump tank to run 1.3M. All e30 M3 use duel pump tanks.

I kept the sensors in my bell housing until I was ready to swap in the i transmission and just tied up the wires.

Originally posted by -limp- View Post
                i know that etas put out more torque but how much i know they say the 2.7 stroker isnt worth the $'s for i guys im not soo sure on finding the seta pistons though now that i think about it
                You dont have to get seta pistons, I am running my 86es flat top piston 9.0comp eta long block with all i add ons. So pretty much I put an eta in a i car, ha.

Or you could put the i head on the flat top piston eta bottom end and get this http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=97872
                Last edited by kenika65; 03-13-2008, 08:31 PM.

1986 325es (69k) Garage Queen Buy It Now 10k;1986 325es (track rat) 2.7i How-To & 1.1/1.3Motronic UpGrade
                1991 318is (daily driver) 1991 318is M42 Maintenance How-To;1989 325i (parts car)

Comment

now why wouldnt i just use my only car and swap a seta bottom end in i mean i already have everything else...getting an i parts car wouldnt make any sense

Comment

That setup is what was dynoed in this thread. He was running stand alone engine management but my buddy that works at the shop where he dynoed says he was running a pretty conservative ignition advance table, so I'd imagine that you should be able to achieve similar results with a 1.3 harness swap.

Comment

im not gonna lie that seems pretty healthy to me but thats just my 2 cents im not really sure if i wanna stroke or save up for an m30 swap mmmm choices

Comment

Wow. What a great link!

So what seems smart to me is to find a compatible 135mm rod for us "i" guys who want decent performance, N/A. Stock C/R, 2.7L.

Wonder what else has rods the same size, but 135mm in length?

Who the hell makes the BMW rods, anyway? I wonder if MBZ or Audi or Porsche or even VW use the same manufacturer. It would be sweet of it was like a damn rabbit or something cheap or something with a compatible spec.

Closing SOON!
                        "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
                          Wow. What a great link!

So what seems smart to me is to find a compatible 135mm rod for us "i" guys who want decent performance, N/A. Stock C/R, 2.7L.

Wonder what else has rods the same size, but 135mm in length?

Who the hell makes the BMW rods, anyway? I wonder if MBZ or Audi or Porsche or even VW use the same manufacturer. It would be sweet of it was like a damn rabbit or something cheap or something with a compatible spec.
                          The i has 135mm rods already.......
                          89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post
                            The i has 135mm rods already.......
                            oopsie, I fuk'dup...132mm rods is what that page inferred.

Closing SOON!

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
                              oopsie, I fuk'dup...132mm rods is what that page inferred.
                              it might be possible to get the rods redrilled and bushed???
                              89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post
                                it might be possible to get the rods redrilled and bushed???
                                Yeah, but this is R3V. We are supposed to be cheap, see?

Closing SOON!

Comment

Working...
                                X