DME not powering up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DME not powering up

I recently did a motronic 1.3 swap on my 86 eta. It always had a hard start when cold issue since did the swap. I began doing a once over on the usual stuff, vacuum leaks, fuel pressure test, coolant temp sensor. I couldn't figure it out and drove with the issue for a couple weeks. I was driving in traffic and the car died at a stop light, had it towed home. long story short the DME isn't powering up. I have power to the main relay and power at pin 27 and 18. When the relay is unplugged from the harness with the key is ACC I get a back feed of 5V on pin 86 of the main relay connector. I'm leaning toward a bad ECU but not sure.

Check all related fuses and replace them. Also check the in-line fusible link which powers the DME direct from the battery. Those fuses and link gets old and can break from old age.
    Owner - Bavarian Restoration
    BMW and European Electronics Repair and Restoration
    www.BavRest.com
    My Feedback Thread
    Our Facebook!
    Follow our Instagram!

Comment

When mine failed the underside of the DME got really hot to the touch. If it is getting power for sure, I would slide it out and feel it...

Comment

UPDATE: so long story short when retrofitting the motronic 1.3 to an early model there is no ground on the shock tower like the late models. Since I had to improvise a ground, the ground I had choose was no good. I changed ground points for the engine harness and it fires up every-time no issues.

Comment

Working...
        X