1215 code, what can cause it besides AFM, how to test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1215 code, what can cause it besides AFM, how to test

It used to be my car. Backstory is it was running fine, and the person I sold it to decided to replace the spark plug wires. He says that's all he touched, and when he put it back together now we have a 1215 code. idles fine, but runs really rich, and falls on its face when you rev it. I was not there when he did this work so I'm sorta playing detective.

The car is a 1991 535i 5 speed (not a swapped E30). So far we have tried two different AFMs, and against my advice the current owner decided to install the new Miller MAF conversion I provided with the car. So now it has a properly installed Miller MAF in it, and we still have the 1215 code. Different ECU too btw, since I had installed the Miller chip in the original ECU for the car and set it on a shelf, and run the car on an ECU I got in the jy. It ran fine on that ECU up until this problem. But now it has the original ECU in it, which was also fine when I last ran it with the stock chip, but now it has the Miller chip in it. There are no vacuum leaks that he could have created as far as I can see.

So what should we check next? I'm guessing that the problem is not in the ECU or the MAF lol.
    Last edited by strad; 12-02-2012, 08:17 PM.
    The current fleet:
    1992 325ic: 148k-171k miles
    1999 Chevrolet Tahoe LT 4WD, 114k-142k miles
    1984 MasterCraft Stars and Stripes Powerslot (not a car :D) PCM Ford 351W, 904 hours
Working...
X