X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oof. Thats a beaut
    1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

For the past month or so my cars idle has been a little less then smooth. Every few seconds it shudders and shakes the entire car.
      Last weekend my brother and I B35 swapped his 635csi and I was amazed at how smooth his resealed junkyard motor ran.
      My first thought was maybe my cam timing was off. So I checked it today.
      Still clean under the valve cover after 5k miles.

I made sure the balancer was at TDC and the cam gear dowel was in the lower R/H corner.(which is kinda hard to see with just the valve cover removed)
      The top bolt was dead in the center of the head indicating that the timing was spot on.

Then I started putting everything back together and noticed a cracked intake manifold gasket, eureka!

Why after only 5k miles did this gasket crack? I used a Victor Reinz upper and lower gasket set, which at the time I thought was a reputable brand. Perhaps I should of used some gasket sealer as well.
      At least I know what my problem is and it is a relatively easy fix.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Have never seen a gasket crack like that - maybe over tightening the manifold? Or just some dud gasket material?
        My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

Glad it was an easy fix!

Comment

Your dad has some of his throwing star covers on in the wrong direction.

I haven't heard good things about VR gaskets in general, especially headgaskets...

You have gone through a lot of work to refresh this car with a great attention to detail. When will you refresh the interior and suspension bits?
            http://www.Drive4Corners.com

Comment

Originally posted by tschultz View Post
              Your dad has some of his throwing star covers on in the wrong direction.

I haven't heard good things about VR gaskets in general, especially headgaskets...

You have gone through a lot of work to refresh this car with a great attention to detail. When will you refresh the interior and suspension bits?
              Originally posted by tschultz View Post

I am trying to keep this thread to mostly engine and drivetrain related info. I have done quite a lot more to the car than I post in this thread, maybe I should of posted this car in the project forum.
              Stay tuned for more M30 turbo content. I can't wait to make this ugly beater faster.

Comment

keep it looking like that i want people to think e30s were really fast stock

Comment

My Ebay history says it all.

I really was attracted to the holset turbos because I didn't have $800+ for a fancy precision turbo.
                  I wanted a HX35, but couldn't find one at a decent price. Used H1Cs are going for $100-$200. H1C it is.
                  I know the H1C has a giant turbine housing 21cm (or like a 1.6 A/R) which would result in a very late spool. Thankfully Turbo Lab makes a .82 A/R or 11cm turbine housing for the hx35 which is a bolt on for the H1C.
                  I might also upgrade the compressor wheel to a fancy 60mm.
                  So for $300 total I should have a pretty bitchin H1C that will easily make my 350whp goal and come into boost pretty early.

Comment

you say 350 now but.

Comment

^lol this thing is gonna rip! Stock mobbin is sick.
                      1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

I fixed the intake gaskets, ended up installing Victor Reinz gaskets with some anaerobic gasket sealer.
                        I had 2 gaskets completely broken.

Surprisingly this made no change in my idle. I even performed a valve adjustment and replaced the spark plugs with a .032" gap.
                        Don't get me wrong the engine runs fine, just the idle isn't as smooth as I like. The only thing I haven't replaced is the distributor cap and rotor. Car pulls like a train, it just has slight studder at idle.
                        Just for fun I did a compression check. The results were pretty awesome.

Definitely a healthy engine even with all the miles I estimate it had on it. (Remember, this engine had the timing chain break at some point)

This weekend I met up with R3V member wworm while he was in Florida. He got to test drive my beater-sauras. I think he enjoyed it.

Last edited by st.petebiodiesel; 05-28-2018, 09:28 PM.

Comment

Definitely pulls like a train! Very brute-ish. A turbo will totally transform this into a serious beast. Thanks again for letting me drive it!
                          1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

I should really change the title of this thread to shit Ron finds in the junkyard. Scored a 3.64 torsen from a Z3 my local LKQ for $66! Alot of people don't like torsens (like the meathead fucktards that think every e30 should be a 700hp drift missle burnout machine), but I think they are great for street cars.

I swapped the 3.64 for my 3.46 that was in the car. The 3.46 was great but a G240 has much lower ratios then a G260 in gears 1 to 3. Being able to redline 3rd gear at 107mph was pretty cool though. Car feels much faster with the 3.64 and at 80mph I'm at 3250rpm.

I also got my H1C off of Ebay. There was some shaft play as I expected, but I'm going to rebuild it anyways. None of the wheels had contacted the housings so I'd say it was in good shape.

The H1C I got came with a 21cm turbine housing, which is huge. I bought a 11cm or .82ar turbine housing. Here it is on my manifold.

Just for fun.

Obviously it would be alot lower, the old manifolds are still on.
                            I really want to run this as a top mount, but I'm going to have to fabricate some sort of angled riser to keep the turbo off of the valve cover. Hopefully it will all fit under the hood. Maybe I'll try to mock it up as a bottom mount first and see how I like it.
                            Using a m106 manifold on a b35 head requires longer and larger diameter exhaust studs. I really don't want to re tap the head for the larger studs so I'm just going to buy longer studs and make bushings to fit inside the manifold flange holes.
                            Almost a 1/2" OD.

And a 5/16" ID

Gonna be hard taking this thing off the road for a few weeks to make all this stuff fit. I love driving this car every day.

Last edited by st.petebiodiesel; 06-16-2018, 05:51 AM.

Comment

Spent this afternoon rebuilding the H1C. It was rather difficult removing the old turbine housing, but i got it off using a 3lbs sledge.
                              Here us everything apart and cleaned.

The Turbo Lab rebuild kit uses an updated thrust bearing.

New bearings

Putting it back together was really easy, it only took about 30 minutes. There are several really good videos online that walk you through the process.

Then I mounted it to the manifold in a bottom mounted config.

I was thinking about how I was going to plumb the oil return for the turbo. M106s used this boss in the block.

Which is present on my B35 block.

Comment

That is seriously going to come on boost nice and fast.
                                Thought about a turbo cam?

Comment

Working...
                                X