M30 with AC setups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M30 with AC setups

Wondering if anyone here wants to share pics of their AC set ups. I've been trying to read through build threads but they either die off before the finished product or there are no clear pictures/ descriptions.

I have a 14" spal pusher already installed against my radiator, but when I swap my M30 in I know I "can" use my E30 rad, but has anyone used it with AC? And if you had to swap to a smaller rad did you use the 535i rad or something else?

Do I need to run another smaller spal fan for the ac condenser? should I try to slip it into the core support where the old aux fan sat with the condenser? Any recommendations?

I'm running the M20 still but have ripped the AC parts out as my system never seemed to work and I figured the M30 swap warranted an R134a update.

Here is how the M30 current setup is.

85% of the time i have no idea what I'm doing

I never posted pictures of my setup, but here's what I did:
    -Replaced stock radiator with one from an e28 535i. This requires minor modifications to fit on an e30
    -Kept all of the stock e30 AC components in place
    -Ground down/filed the m30 AC bracket (less than 0.0625") to fit the e30 AC compressor on the m30 bracket
    -Removed stock e30 Aux fan, replaced with 16" Spal high flow pusher
    -Replaced stock e30 aux fan switch with a low temp switch
    -Placed some plastic between the radiator core support and the radiator (top and sides) to keep more of the fan's airflow going through the radiator

My AC worked great, but the engine got pretty warm in traffic on hot days with only the spal pusher fan. Some people put a small puller fan on the top drivers side on the engine compartment side of the radiator.
    sigpic
    1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
    1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
    1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

Originally posted by McGyver View Post
      I never posted pictures of my setup, but here's what I did:
      -Replaced stock radiator with one from an e28 535i. This requires minor modifications to fit on an e30
      -Kept all of the stock e30 AC components in place
      -Ground down/filed the m30 AC bracket (less than 0.0625") to fit the e30 AC compressor on the m30 bracket
      -Removed stock e30 Aux fan, replaced with 16" Spal high flow pusher
      -Replaced stock e30 aux fan switch with a low temp switch
      -Placed some plastic between the radiator core support and the radiator (top and sides) to keep more of the fan's airflow going through the radiator

My AC worked great, but the engine got pretty warm in traffic on hot days with only the spal pusher fan. Some people put a small puller fan on the top drivers side on the engine compartment side of the radiator.
      Gotcha, I was worried the SPAL wouldn't be enough for AC and the M30.
      If the E30 stuff worked with the M30 then I guess i"ll keep the compressor and order new drier and condenser.

Do you think a fan shroud would improve the cooling of the pusher enough to not need to run a smaller second fan?
      85% of the time i have no idea what I'm doing

Comment

Originally posted by Slybeanx View Post
        Do you think a fan shroud would improve the cooling of the pusher enough to not need to run a smaller second fan?
        My issue is that I had roughly 5mm between the radiator and the cap/rotor, so I would have to pull the radiator to change the cap/rotor. There wasn't enough room for a puller fan between the radiator and the engine. That's why I put a pusher on the front.

The issue with the pusher is that it was mounted flush to the AC condenser, which had an air gap before the front of the radiator. The air was forced through the condenser, but it was easier for the air to escape out the sides than to be forced through the radiator. This left me with relatively low airflow through the radiator from the fan alone. I don't think a fan shroud on the back of the radiator would help anything, it would probably make things worse.

That's why I had overheating issues on hot days in traffic. Putting some plastic in place to direct the air through the radiator helped significantly. This was effectively putting a shroud between the condenser and the radiator.

The engine would always sit a little less than halfway on the temp gauge when I was driving, due to the massive amount of air from highway speeds.
        sigpic
        1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
        1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
        1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

Working...
        X