Losing Oil

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • mattdk318i
    replied
    dont feel like reading, but sounds like a lower oil canister seal, or one of the front profile gaskets.

    Leave a comment:


  • Cobra Jet
    replied
    sounds like you have some gaskets that are in need of replacement - nothing really major based on what you posted above.

    The oil can housing to the block consists of (2) sealing parts - 1) rectangular paper gasket that goes between the block and the housing, and 2) a rubber o-ring which is secured to the underside of the housing. Both of these parts combined should cost you less than $10-$15 from the Dealer (or you can find them online for less).

    Sounds like you may need an oil pan gasket (lower oil pan), but if possible, try to do both oil pan gaskets (there are two).

    If there is oil near the rear of the motor (tranny to motor) - I would suspect a rear main seal leak - however, it's hard to really tell w/o really being under the car in person. The RMS is located between the tranny & engine, you have to pull the trans and clutch assembly (flywheel, clutch disc, clutch pressure plate) to replace it.


    Check your dipstick tube, see if any oil is coming from it (this is closest to the crank pulley too) - I think there is also an o-ring that is affixed to the tube assembly where it's pressed into the engine... If that o-ring is bad, oil could be pushing past it, which would lay on top (or under) the crank pulley area. If it's not that, then I would suspect the seal in the timing cover where the crank prtrudes through needs to be replaced.

    Leave a comment:


  • BraveUlysses
    replied
    Sounds some of the like the typical m42 leaks. Oil filter housing is common, as are leaks from both oil pans.

    I'd pull both oil pans, inspect the oil pump nuts (they fall out, yikes!), reinstall as necessary and put new gaskets on as needed.

    You can pull the oil pan without removing the front subframe...simply loosen the motor mounts and jack up on the transmission (make sure you don't block the removal of the oil pan) until you can wiggle the oil pan out over the subframe.

    Leave a comment:


  • juliea_1962
    replied
    OK...the Simple Green was amazing! Had tried a bike chain degreaser (only thing I had on hand) before, and it did not work. Simple Green got the engine very clean with very little effort.

    After cleaning, I ran it, and found oil in a couple of interesting places. The highest spot on the front of the engine was along the edge of the oil filter housing, where it attaches to the block. I also found a nice little collection of oil under the crank, but I'm wondering if it may have collected there after dripping down from the oil filter housing.

    I also found oil along the passenger side of the block where it attaches to the oil pan.

    Lastly, I found another nice collection where the engine attaches to the transmission.

    Sounds like I have multiple leaks....unless you all think there's some way they could all be traced back one. I didn't drive my car, just let it idle on ramps.

    Leave a comment:


  • DuHast
    replied
    the harmonic balancer is another word for the crank pulley. look for the big pulley at the bottom of the engine, that's the harmonic balancer. It's basically a reg. pulley with a counterweight (sometimes, not on all engines in all cars) which reduces the vibrations produced by the rotating assembly in the engine.

    Do yourself a favor and go to autozone (or whatever your local parts store is) and get TRACING POWDER. It's in a spray can. After you clean the whole engine down like said in a previous post, spray that whole side of the engine down with tracing powder. It will put a fine layer of white powder on the outside of the engine. Your oil leak should stick out like a sore thumb when encroaching on the white coating. There's ya leak!

    Leave a comment:


  • juliea_1962
    replied
    Thanks for the detailed post Phil. Where can I find the harmonic balancer?

    Leave a comment:


  • BraveUlysses
    replied
    Originally posted by BTP325ic
    i think ia m gonna switch to 10/90 cuz of the heat here in texas.
    wat

    Leave a comment:


  • BTP325ic
    replied
    i think all old ass e30s burn a lot of oil mines does all the time i think ia m gonna switch to 10/90 cuz of the heat here in texas.

    Leave a comment:


  • Cobra Jet
    replied
    The best thing to do is get either Brakleen, Carb Cleaner, Simple Green or Super Purple and spray down the entire engine bay, including all of the front of the engine and underside. Hose it all off, let it dry completely - then if possible, put the car SAFELY on ramps or a lift, start it in neutral w/ e-brake on and check to see if you can locate the leak itself...

    There's a number of spots it could be leaking from... if you say it's "spray", then my fist guess would be to check the camshaft positioning sensor at the very front of the head - this sensor is supposed to have a rubber o-ring which prevents an oil leak there...

    Check the valve cover on the passenger side

    check all around the front timing chain cover

    check your oil pan gaskets

    check the harmonic balancer seal to see if it's leaking - if that is leaking, you will get "spray" due to the pulley constantly spinning when the engine is running.

    If you cannot detect a leak w/ the car at idle, take it off the ramps or lift and go for a 2-5 mile drive, then once you come back, check again as you should be able to locate it at that point...

    post your findings

    Leave a comment:


  • juliea_1962
    replied
    Ok, went leak hunting this weekend, and found oil spray all over the front of the engine, and back along the passenger side of the engine. Can't really tell where it's originating from. Any ideas what could cause this?

    I'm planning on cleaning it up today and taking a closer look.

    Leave a comment:


  • learningcurve86
    replied
    i was burning that much, when i took the head off the engine you could move the pistons back and forth a lot. so much that my mechanic friend said "i didn't know they could do that!"

    :-/

    Leave a comment:


  • juliea_1962
    replied
    Oh yeah, I was using 10/40, but I switched recently to 20/50 to see if that helps matters. Haven't done enough driving with it to tell yet.

    Leave a comment:


  • juliea_1962
    replied
    Thanks for all of the posts!

    I'm not sure how many miles the engine has. It is a used motor from a junkyard that we just recently put in (about 6-7 wks ago). The engine compression tested well (Grade "A", whatever that means). It's an M42, and I've got it in a 1991 318is.

    I would say that I lose about a quart for around 200-250 miles of driving. If I am burning that much oil, shouldn't I be able to see blue smoke from the exhaust? (I don't regularly. I really have to slam on the gas to get it to show...I've maybe seen it twice or three times since I had the engine put in).

    Is it possible that there's a leak that only leaks when the engine is running? Where can I look to see if this is the case?

    Thanks!

    Leave a comment:


  • e30trooper
    replied
    btw how much do you add every 250 miles? my m10 leaks and burns about a qt. every 2 weeks . i work a oil change place so biggy for me so i just top off every week, but if you have no leaks then ur deff. burning crazy. Dont use 10/30 or 10/40. only 20/50.that should reduce the burning and at least make your oil last longer. also dont go over 3000 miles on that oil

    Leave a comment:


  • e30trooper
    replied
    your burning oil dude, use 20/w50 . thats what i tell most pre 98's and older bmw owners to use. and if your still burning , you may have a bad head gasket or rings

    Leave a comment:

Working...