No announcement yet.

Cheap/Basic M42 Mods.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fml. Shouldn't have bought that new fan clutch a few days ago, that alone cost the same as one of these :(

1991 BMW 318i (Old Shell RIP, Now Being Re-shelled & Reborn)
    1983 Peugeot 505 STI
    1992 Volvo 240 Wagon
    2009 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Sport 4WD

Comment

Originally posted by freeride53 View Post
      Hey guys, are there any write-ups on the volvo e-fan conversion? Searched and came up dry..
      How about the m44 fan?

Comment

Originally posted by Ryann View Post
        +1
        I grabbed one of these out of a 97 318is at my local yard for $45

Comment

this is why I like the volvo fans, nice clean tight fit

you will also want to run a different thermo switch, it kicks on cooler
          80°/88° Dual Temp Switch: 61-31-8-361-787
          and to be honest, this is not my set up, I am however running an idetical set up using the fan and shroud from a 960 volvo that i PAID $45 FOR. I am also running the cop kit like shown, no a/c and no p/s ( mine looks little different, I cut off the coil brackets, painted black valve cover and strut bar corss brace and skid shield, because of the skid shield in place it does not show the space contrast as nice as this picture did/does as instead of seeing the floor in this pic in mine you would see big black plate and mine is dissassmebled as I am wiating for timing chain parts)

when you use the stock wiring, and if you do the a/c delete you actually still have the wiring and if your sitting in traffic and you want to kick on the fan before the thermostat does, then yuo just hit the a/c button which would have normally turned on the fromt elec fan with the compressor, now it will just kick on the new fan, it also acts as a nice bypass if you suggest your temp sender not working
          Attached Files
          Last edited by 3bvert; 12-20-2011, 09:59 AM.

Comment

^The m44 fan does take up substantially more room up front, but pull the two plastic pins/unplug the harness connector and it easily lifts out for even MORE working space than you have there.

Comment

yep mine (the volvo style) is a bit more work, takes 4 screws and the stock harness plug and then lifts off
              but it does take a little more modify work at first install (more than the bmw one)

but they both look slick and get rid of that clutch and fan and I would install either style if I had to do it again.

so a lot depends on whats available and desired looks

Ryans write up on the BMW install is very good
              Last edited by 3bvert; 12-20-2011, 11:03 PM.

Comment

also, Id like to point out, that the bmw housing will actually allow more air to flow (in my opinion) as the volvo one sits tight and actually has a small sectin of flat plastic against the radiator that blocks air flow where as the bmw allows air flow over the whole radiator and acts as a big funnel
                plus it is "BMW"

but Im not gonna pull my volvo one untill its dead

one last thing, the bmw ones are newer, the volvo ones that fit best are getting harder to find due to age

again, nice write up on ryans

Comment

Originally posted by ThaiRacer View Post
                  Man I never knew my M42 was pretty quick. I beat a 87 325 last night and had 2 extra passengers with me. And then I raced a acura RSX and was behind by half a car the whole way. dam i was surprised
                  Who were the drivers? Lol
                  "Do what you love, and love what you do" -Ray Bradbury

Comment

not sure if this has been said cause I dont want to read 12 pages but cam timing is adjustable. I tweaked my exhaust side to get a little more bottom.

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
                    Ig:ryno_pzk
                    I like the tuna here.
                    Originally posted by lambo
                    Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

Originally posted by E30ruben View Post
                      Who were the drivers? Lol
                      I really like my m42 318 but Id have to call bull on that
                      not asking who the drivers were but the post related

Comment

Bump. Cos I just read all 12 pages and the last post was from 2011, so yeah...
                        diamantschwarz 1991 318is

Comment

Word is bond word is bond one love one love

1991 BMW 318i (Old Shell RIP, Now Being Re-shelled & Reborn)
                          1983 Peugeot 505 STI
                          1992 Volvo 240 Wagon
                          2009 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Sport 4WD

Comment

"CATCH CAN"

Comment

pretty sure it does nothing but throttle body heater delete ?

Comment

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X