Cheap/Basic M42 Mods.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fiftytakedowns View Post
    DK hows the PS loss? Im getting sick of it . but Im wondering about the safety (like hydroplaning, spinning out ETC.
    Ha, ditch the PS-- if you are considering getting rid of it then you don't need it. I drove my M20 car without it for years. Then bumped up to an S52 and still ran it like that. With the M42, being much much lighter than the engines I've had lately, you won't even barely notice. Well you'll notice, but it will be good.

Why are you worried about safety?? Plenty of E30's in Europe came without PS from the factory. Mine uses a non-PS rack now. For what it's worth, I ran the stock rack with no PS pump for years with no issues.

Comment

I'm not running p/s with my p/s rack right now and it's fine. Actually, I think the steering feels very light when the car is moving at all - it's only hard to turn when the car is dead still (and you really should try to avoid doing that anyway).
      1997 540i/6 - stock
      1985 325 - M50NV - Getrag 250 - 2.79 LSD - MS2/e -LC-1 - 750cc injectors - Blunttech Manifold - HX35 - AEM UEGO
      1991 318i - M50NV - Getrag 240 - 4.10 open - e36 rack - Smileys - 55w 5000k HIDs

Comment

LEgit, Ill think Ill do that then!
        [/url]

Team USA Wrestling 67KG
        Team USA Wrestling Strength And Conditioning Coach

Comment

I did a full depower on my E36 rack as per the flying miata guide, love it!
          - Chris
          Project M42 - 255 @ 19 psi

Comment

I did ps delete and Im happy, better gas mileage FTW
            [/url]

Team USA Wrestling 67KG

Comment

Coil On Plug Kit

http://www.hqautosport.com

Comment

Originally posted by Cyrix2k View Post
                fixed. The m42 has its place, but overall, it's near the top of its game barring expensive mods and even afterwards is largely gutless. I'd much rather have a torquey motor than a high revving one. In race applications, I can see a built M42 being nice. For the street... I'll take an I6.

Oh, and I own an M44 powered e36. It sounds like a lawn mower and just never idles as well as the I6s. I *much* prefer the M20 or M5x, neither of which are all that expensive to swap in and yield much more usable power.
                nobody in this thread was asking about a swap. there's an entire subforum for that.

having owned both m20 and m42 e30's, i'd rather have one that corners better and has to be kept in the powerband than a nose-heavy pig with enough torque to make up for errors *cough*540i*cough*.

anyone who's trying to get more power out of an m42 is obviously thinking along the same lines. if you don't have anything valuable to contribute to that discussion, then save it.

edit: in the interest of contributing something to the thread- here's a page i found containing (theoretical) cam-tuning results on a twin-cam 4-banger. anyone who wants to delve a little deeper than taking the basic advice of "advance the intake and leave the exhaust alone" can look at the results yielded and make their own decisions:

past:
                1989 325is (learner shitbox)
                1986 325e (turbo dorito)
                1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
                1985 323i baur
                current:
                1995 M3 (suspension, 17x9/255-40, borla)

Comment

Originally posted by fiftytakedowns View Post
                  I did ps delete and Im happy, better gas mileage FTW
                  I knew you would see the light eventually :up:

Comment

Originally posted by tjts1 View Post
                    I knew you would see the light eventually :up:
                    yeah, but not I want CAMS and ITBs. that or m50.... The gas mileage wnts to keep me at the M42 though...
                    [/url]

Team USA Wrestling 67KG

Comment

turbo turbo turbo turbo

Comment

Originally posted by dk View Post
                        nobody in this thread was asking about a swap. there's an entire subforum for that.

having owned both m20 and m42 e30's, i'd rather have one that corners better and has to be kept in the powerband than a nose-heavy pig with enough torque to make up for errors *cough*540i*cough*.

anyone who's trying to get more power out of an m42 is obviously thinking along the same lines. if you don't have anything valuable to contribute to that discussion, then save it.

edit: in the interest of contributing something to the thread- here's a page i found containing (theoretical) cam-tuning results on a twin-cam 4-banger. anyone who wants to delve a little deeper than taking the basic advice of "advance the intake and leave the exhaust alone" can look at the results yielded and make their own decisions:

http://www.billzilla.org/engvariable.html
                        I'll chalk that up to personal preference. I've driven m42 e30s too. The same argument applies to the 540 vs an e46 m3 - I much prefer the 540 as a daily driver. Hell, if you really want a decent I4 powered e30, get the m3 or swap in an f20c.
                        1997 540i/6 - stock
                        1985 325 - M50NV - Getrag 250 - 2.79 LSD - MS2/e -LC-1 - 750cc injectors - Blunttech Manifold - HX35 - AEM UEGO
                        1991 318i - M50NV - Getrag 240 - 4.10 open - e36 rack - Smileys - 55w 5000k HIDs

Comment

Originally posted by tjts1 View Post
                          turbo turbo turbo turbo
                          Unfortunately this isn't cheap or basic :(
                          - Chris
                          Project M42 - 255 @ 19 psi

Comment

Originally posted by Cyrix2k View Post
                            I'll chalk that up to personal preference. I've driven m42 e30s too. The same argument applies to the 540 vs an e46 m3 - I much prefer the 540 as a daily driver. Hell, if you really want a decent I4 powered e30, get the m3 or swap in an f20c.
                            as the above poster said, swapping S14/F20C is not "cheap" or "basic" either. neither were my ITBs, which is why i haven't brought them up here.

so yeah, you're still off-topic.
                            past:
                            1989 325is (learner shitbox)
                            1986 325e (turbo dorito)
                            1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
                            1985 323i baur
                            current:
                            1995 M3 (suspension, 17x9/255-40, borla)

Comment

what do you guys recommend for exhaust besides supersprint? My exhaust is on the way out, so I wanna upgrade.

I've heard dynomax super turbo's? I want something deep, NO RASP

Sold.......again.

Comment

order a magnaflow, take it to a quality shop that has bending capabilities (not complete crush bends) but can do a decent pulled bend and have them do a custom job...there should be minimal bending anyways...

Comment

Working...
                                X