Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

m42 Upper oil pan removal, stuck on these bolts. HALP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

m42 Upper oil pan removal, stuck on these bolts. HALP!

so got the lower pan off, undid motor mounts, took the 2 long bolts out of the bell housing, jacked the motor up, got all the 10mm bolts out of the upper pan and then ran into these SOBs in the picture. they go from the bell housing into the back of the upper pan. They are regular bolt and are toruqe or something, so went to autozone and got there little kit, they dont seem to fit right at all just keep sliding off. these things wont budge for anything. tried spray the stuff on it to break up the grime but to no avail. how can i get these things off cuz now my e30 is just sitting on jack stands with just the 3 bolts stopping from changing my gasket.
    Attached Files

those are torx, and op it looks like you dun fuked em up by using the wrong socket and your rounded the heads off.

Now you must find a metric 5 point socket that you can hammer over the rounded head, hope and pray for enough grip and crack those things loose.

try 8mm for the smaller bolts

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
    Ig:ryno_pzk
    I like the tuna here.
    Originally posted by lambo
    Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

that was with the torx socket from autozone

Comment

are you sure its the right size?

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
        Ig:ryno_pzk
        I like the tuna here.
        Originally posted by lambo
        Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

to clarify i did use the inverted torx and it didnt pop off. that was done from pushing down trying to turn, making no progess then taking it off and seeing it messed up. every bolt to this point had been pretty loose

Comment

it fits snug on it. thats why its confusing

Comment

Yea you have to be careful with those. Even if you use the right socket you have to make sure the socket stays on flush or it'll round. Like chug said get another slightly smaller socket and hammer it on. Take it off SLOWLY with a breaker bar
              DENY IGNORANCE!
              Schwarz 325-totaled
              brilliantrot 318i-daily

Originally posted by mkcman17
              don't think your hamster wheels are fast now. you will still have to give up when trying to pass that V6 odyssey to make your offramp.

Comment

Gotta love the E-torx heads. I usually use a 3/8" drive with 12" extension on those to make sure that I can keep the socket as aligned with the head as possible. Without the extension the ratchet hits the bellhousing and doesn't sit quite straight.

As mentioned above, either hammer on a socket, or go to Sears and get a bolt extractor set. That should be able to bite into the remaining head enough to get it going. Before ANY of that, get a small can of PB Blaster and soak those suckers down.

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

Get one of those stripped bolt/nut socket remover if a smaller socket don't do the trick.
                  sigpic
                  HyperWerkz

89 mtech2, s50, AR Kit, borgwarner s362, e-85, 15psi... 592whp
                  " enjoy the show "

Comment

These bolts suck ass

I blazed through this project up until the point I hit these insane torxish star bolts. They have shoulders that keep you from putting a wrench all the way on.

I have been chiseling, torching, clamping and grinding them for hours. They just wont budge. Tomorrow morning I am going to grind off the heads and attempt to pull the pan forward off of these accursed bolts.

Anyone have any advice not already tried.

Comment

When I did this, I sprayed PB blaster generously and then let it sit for 2 days in my 100 degree garage (thanks FL!). Then, I used the right torx socket, it was a snug fit, and a short breaker bar, worked perfect.

Your bolt looks marred so it is going to be gonna be a pain to remove the bolts...

Comment

Bolts are out.. pan is out

For anyone else stuck on these star bolts... just grind off the heads and the upper pan comes right off. I am not reinstalling stock bolts where these were... looking for something that fits with a larger head so this never happens again. The problem is that the heads on the bolts are so small that you cant get enough torque to break them loose.

Comment

Working...
                        X