X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gloff
    replied
    Originally posted by JonsE30 View Post
    Worked like a charm! Took the 4 13mm bolts out the top left one was hard to get leverage but finally broke them free. Next i gotta tackle the guibo bolts, then pull the ecu and wiring through the firewall, and i think i should be ready to pull block and transmission out!

Slowly (very) but surely....
    I found it easier to fold the wiring up on the windshield after removing the intakes. It gave me really good access to the rear lift point on the block for the cherry picker.

Leave a comment:

• JonsE30
    replied
    Worked like a charm! Took the 4 13mm bolts out the top left one was hard to get leverage but finally broke them free. Next i gotta tackle the guibo bolts, then pull the ecu and wiring through the firewall, and i think i should be ready to pull block and transmission out!

Slowly (very) but surely....

Leave a comment:

• JonsE30
    replied
    i'll give that a shot. thank you all so much for the guidance!

Leave a comment:

• roguetoaster
    replied
    Yes, unbolt it and leave it in the bay. Depending on the angle of the engine extraction you may have to hold it aside.

Leave a comment:

• JonsE30
    replied
    You mean I would be able to unbolt the a/c compressor from the block without having to mess with any of the a/c lines and support it so it’s not just dangling?

I’d rather do that if it’s not too difficult so I don’t have to tow it to a shop just for the evacuation.

Leave a comment:

• roguetoaster
    replied
    You can leave the compressor or compressor+bracket hanging in the engine bay. Clearly you should try to support it as best you can.

If you really wanted to evacuate the system you can do that without the car being operable, so long as you can get/borrow the equipment, and yes, it is illegal to vent refrigerant to atmosphere intentionally.

Leave a comment:

• JonsE30
    replied
    Need advice from experience for an M42 rebuild

my neighbor has a hoist with a load lever that we can use. so i'll get to work on disconnect drive shaft and other sensors and hoses and such.

my main concern is do i need to disconnect any a/c components prior to lifting it out? if so i read that it's illegal to do this yourself, so since the car is not able to running in its current state, do i have to tow it to/from a shop just for this step?

Last edited by JonsE30; 06-23-2019, 04:21 PM.

Leave a comment:

• roguetoaster
    replied
    Totally agree with varg, as one unit is much easier, and that's a solid suggestion on the head bolts.

Leave a comment:

• varg
    replied
    If you have a way to control the tilt of the motor then take it out with the transmission attached, it's easier than uninstalling and reinstalling the transmission in car. Put head bolts in through the links of the chain, with washers if the chain links are too large. You can't reuse them anyway so no worries about bending them, and a tightened head bolt is under thousands of pounds of tension so it's not like you're going to hurt the threads in the block doing that.

Leave a comment:

• JonsE30
    replied
    thanks roguetoaster! as far as removing the block to get it to the machine shop, would you recommend taking it out with the transmission, or remove just the block. is there away to use the engine hoist without the cylinder head on it?

Leave a comment:

• roguetoaster
    replied
    Congrats on the new little one.

As to the cams, work slowly when removing the nuts and maybe utilize a pattern, although I am not aware of an official one. Don't forget lube on the cam bearings before you put the caps on.

Leave a comment:

• JonsE30
    replied
    Need advice from experience for an M42 rebuild

Back from the dead! Life happens especially now I have a new kid. But I wanted to get some progress going so I didn’t feel like a total failure. I got the head off finally since I only had a few steps to go.

For safe measure I was recommended to take the block to a shop to have it inspected because of the supposed high mileage it had. Since I already got the head redone. I now how to take out the cams from the old head and transfer to the revalved head. Any tips?

Leave a comment:

• bmwman91
    replied
    Yeah, taking the hood off prior to hoisting the engine out helps! I am sure someone here has done it without removing the hood lol, but I wouldn't. Also, if you plan to leave the transmission attached, you will need a load leveler for the hoist. You can take the engine+tranny out as a single unit if you are able to adjust the tilt/angle of it all as you lift it out.

Leave a comment:

• downforce22
    replied
    Its pretty simple, might want to take off the hood from the start to help give you some more room.

Leave a comment:

• JonsE30
    replied
    I just picked one up at harbor freight. I figure I'd use it more than a few times. It was on sale and there was an additional labor day coupon.

I found this thread on bimmerforums that I was gonna follow:

Bimmerforums is the preferred online BMW Forum and community for BMW owners. At Bimmerforums, you will find technical how-to information maintenance specifics audio advice wheel and tire combinations and model specific details not found anywhere else. Our professionals are here to help make sure you find the answers you need to your questions and our community is here to help other brainstorm ideas for the future.

Is this pretty much all of it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

Working...
X