M42 coil pack harness retainer clip modification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M42 coil pack harness retainer clip modification

I posted this in my journal, but I thought it might be at home in the M42 forum as well. This is simple and straight forward, but I've seen a few threads/questions about M42 coil packs and the wiring harness clip orientation.

As many of you probably know, the M42 coil packs (even from BMW) now come with the harness clips in a different orientation than they did from the factory. It can be a bit of a pain getting new coil packs in with the clips upside down (it was for me at least).

Modifying the clips is easy enough. You need to bend the retainer tabs straights, slide the retainer clip out, trim a piece of the retainer clip, and then reinsert in the proper E30 orientation. You can use them as-is, but it makes reinstalling the harness a pain.

Step 1 - Bend retainer clip tabs straight to remove retainer clip.

Step 2 - Trim tab (before and after)

Step 3 - Reinsert retainer clip in E30 orientation (the one on the left is correct)

Step 4 - All done!

Modifying the retainer clips is very easy and takes about a minute per clip. In fact it's so easy my 4.5 year old did 3 of them. She rocks.

Removing the coil pack assembly is easy. Unclip the wiring harness and remove 4 8mm nuts. The whole assembly comes out.

Take pictures for the next couple steps. There are a series of thin and thick washers, nuts, various length spaces and bolts. It seemed like a bit of a puzzle at first, but disassembly and reassembly only takes a few minutes. I had my daughter tighten all the bolts after I had the majority of it together.

Drop it back in the car. Clip in the harness. Tighten down the 4 8mm nuts.

Reinstall the plastic cover. Plug in the spark plug wires.

All done!
Working...
X