Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

M42 exhaust options?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    M42 exhaust options?

    I have a 1992 318ic with straight pipe, headers to generic resonator to magnaflow muffler. IT SUCKS!!!!!!!! Super loud and annoying droning 2k rpm and up. I have heard great things about both Stromung and Supersprint. I have heard however that Stromung can drone without a cat on it. Called Scott from Stromung and he said that it might be best with the "quieter" muffler he can make for that engine. Does anyone else have experience with either of these exhausts?(I have tried to find clips on the forums but any that I did find didn't work) Even better if anyone has sound clips for both exhausts! (catless exhaust clips a +++++) I have only been able to find one clip with supersprint on an M42 in an E36 with the dual tips and it sounded nice and throaty. (Supersprint is also SUPER expensive at $952 for dual tip muffler+tax+tariffs :( ) Thanks everybody!

    #2
    I have the super sprint and absolutely love it. Wait until black friday deals this year and see if Turner has a 50% off sale on them again this year. I got mine last year for 50% off with their black friday deal.

    The super sprint sounds awesome, mounts up well and looks great. I know that they state they can make the super sprint with dual tips, but I've never actually see one for the 318i's / M42's...plus you'd have to cut your valence open to fit the tips I'm guessing.

    If I didn't get the discount, I was going to get the Stromung through the group buy. There hasn't been a group buy in a few months, so maybe you could set up another one now for it?

    Here is a video of my super sprint right after install. Not the best clip but the best I could get on my phone.
    Steve • Toronto
    1991 318is • Brillantrot
    Build Thread

    Comment


      #3
      Thank you for all the info! Quick question, what is your exhaust set-up? Are you running a cat and/or resonator?

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by Bimmerfan84 View Post
        Thank you for all the info! Quick question, what is your exhaust set-up? Are you running a cat and/or resonator?
        I'm running from the cat back and thats it. It was a direct bolt on kit, no welding or anything needed. Just the OEM mounting rubber donuts and metal straps for e30 exhausts. Everything from header manifold back to after the cat is OEM stock.

        Here is a pic of how it came when I bought it.

        Steve • Toronto
        1991 318is • Brillantrot
        Build Thread

        Comment


          #5
          It all depends on personal preference, I like an exhaust to be quiet, with no drone, when cruising and loud when I'm on it. The Supersprint (stock cat, no resonator) I had sounded pretty good but looked goofy, as I thought the exhaust tip was too large. The Stromung I now have looks much better (with a smaller size non-perforated tip per request) sounds decent, but is drony on the highway (stock car, no resonator), far more than I'd like. The Stromung also never fit properly to the cat section, and I had to find an exhaust donut that fit the opening, which is an issue as they don't seem to last there.

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
            It all depends on personal preference, I like an exhaust to be quiet, with no drone, when cruising and loud when I'm on it.
            Same here. When I'm cruising the highway at 75mph with the top down, my low geared convertible is taching close to 4000 rpm. The crazy loud drone really kills the cruise fun. Plus I tend to scare the crap out of people not paying attention when I pass them. Does this mean I'm old now? Damn kids with their mumble rap and fart mufflers.

            Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
            The Supersprint (stock cat, no resonator) I had sounded pretty good but looked goofy, as I thought the exhaust tip was too large. The Stromung I now have looks much better (with a smaller size non-perforated tip per request) sounds decent, but is drony on the highway (stock car, no resonator), far more than I'd like. The Stromung also never fit properly to the cat section, and I had to find an exhaust donut that fit the opening, which is an issue as they don't seem to last there.
            I'm not really concerned with fit and polish as I work in the auto industry and have access to an exhaust shop that can perform custom work for me fairly inexpensively. I really like the look of the Supersprint for the E30 M42 with the single inlet/dual exit but can not really find good evidence of sound. I have heard plenty of the E36 M42 Y-pipe Dual inlet/exit and they sound awesome, very throaty. Wonder if it could be fabricated in. HmmmmmmmmmÂ…Â…..

            Comment


              #7
              Try a HushPower HP 2 resonator. The shitty bottle resonators on the market aren't going to help a small displacement 4-banger sound much different than the the kid with a civic.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by cunninglinguist View Post
                Try a HushPower HP 2 resonator. The shitty bottle resonators on the market aren't going to help a small displacement 4-banger sound much different than the the kid with a civic.
                That sounds like something I need to look at, do you have a part number? I see they are made by Flowmaster. I tried to look them up and they all seem to call them mufflers and there are several part numbers.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Here's the one I used 12412400

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Funny, I have an older Supersprint on my 1991 318is, it's black with polished tip and is very quiet which is fine for me. Just a tiny growl when revved up. Nothing worse then sounding like some rice rocket weed wacker crapola.

                    dlm ny country

                    Comment


                      #11
                      I have a stromung on my 318is. It sounds great but as roguetoaster mentioned, it can get drony on the highway. also my exhaust tip rubs against my bumper. it needs to hang lower by 1/4".

                      Comment


                        #12
                        I picked up the DynoMax Super Turbo muffler and Im really not impressed. Its missing that muted euro sound and sounds borderline Honda racer boy. I paired it with a 14" resonator. It wasnt too terribly expensive but I think Ill be chopping it out in less than a year.

                        https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by Powling View Post
                          I'm running from the cat back and thats it. It was a direct bolt on kit, no welding or anything needed. Just the OEM mounting rubber donuts and metal straps for e30 exhausts. Everything from header manifold back to after the cat is OEM stock.

                          Here is a pic of how it came when I bought it.

                          where you buy it from?
                          91 318is "under construction"
                          2007 328i - daily
                          sigpic

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by cunninglinguist View Post
                            Here's the one I used 12412400
                            Any chance you have a sound clip?

                            Thanks.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by sketchkid View Post
                              where you buy it from?
                              From Turner online last year during their Black Friday sale. They had all Supersprint's in stock on sale for 50% off.
                              Steve • Toronto
                              1991 318is • Brillantrot
                              Build Thread

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X