Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bmwman91
    replied
    The M44 timing case has one major difference from the M42 timing case. It does not have the mounting bracket for the crank position sensor, so you would need a custom machined bracket for that, and it would need to be properly designed to ensure correct ignition timing. You can use the timing case from a 1994-1995 M42 engine without this issue, and it uses the plastic guide rail instead of the deflector sprocket (which is the main advantage).

Leave a comment:

• jaredmac11
    replied
    For the M44 timing case upgrade, Youll want to ditch the timing sprocket (e30) for a guide. There are other improvements but this is most key. Getting those (likely) brittle chain guides out is most key. There are other improvements for the M44, but you can get a decent upgrade with the e36 M42 (1992-1995). The e36 M42 ditched that timing sprocket for a guide.

Prepare to spend a pretty penny here.. at least $200-400.

Leave a comment:

• Diake
    replied
    Yea, I was definitely considering those. What about the m44 timing case upgrade?

Leave a comment:

• jrobie79
    replied
    are you taking the head off? valve stem seals, profile gasket, timing case gaskets, upgrading to the m44 timing case (with different timing case gasket)...

Leave a comment:

• Diake
    replied
    Today I washed the block to eliminate the dirt and started removing all the accessories and engine mounts.

The plan is to:
    - Change oil and water pump, making sure the oil pickup bolts are secured with Loctite
    - Upgrade oil pressure relief valve to plastic one (less prone to get stuck)
    - Change timing gears, chain, tensioner and guides (upgrading to plastic ones)
    - Changing seals and gaskets
    - Changing head bolts to ARP (Future turbo project, but at the moment I want to run it NA)
    - Control bearings and trust bearing (consider upgrade to 360° trust bearing and block bearings)
    - Check valve conditions and change valve oil seals.
    - Upgrade oil pan to low profile Motorsport one
    - Remove viscous fan to instal electric one

Any suggestion on other parts to change/upgrade?
    Last edited by Diake; 11-04-2018, 01:36 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Diake
    started a topic M42 rebuild

M42 rebuild

Hello everybody,
    I'm new in r3vlimited.com. I wanted to write a thread to document, step by step and precisely, the rebuild of my M42. I will not be fast or constantly updating it since it a free time project. The aim is to create a sort of guide (not a proper since I'm not a mechanic) which might be helpful to somebody in the future.

I start with the picture of the engine in the original condition!

Congratulation for the nice forum and thanks for the support!

Luca from Italy
Working...
X