First time oil change on an M42

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • daniel
    replied
    i ran 5w-50 syn in my m42 until my motor blew up/out.

    Leave a comment:


  • EN318isPDX
    replied
    Originally posted by kansas-ix
    i use 10-40 mobil 1 and mahle filters. 5k intervals.



    sounds like front main seal bearing $300 done, or crazy cheap if you have the tools.
    I'm pretty sure its leaking out of the timing case and most of its leaking out the lower oil pain due to someone stripping out 75% of the holes. I saw someone change the oil pan into studs, that might be the answer to my problem.

    Leave a comment:


  • Magnetraction
    replied
    I use 10-40 full synth and have some front engine leak/seeping. not very much tho, and no problems yet

    Leave a comment:


  • kansas-ix
    replied
    i use 10-40 mobil 1 and mahle filters. 5k intervals.

    Originally posted by EN318isPDX
    lol....

    I use regular 10-40 oil but that's because mine leaks out of the front of the motor.. I would recommend Synthetic if you dont leak oil, i recommend a 40 weight.
    sounds like front main seal bearing $300 done, or crazy cheap if you have the tools.

    Leave a comment:


  • adam12hicks
    replied
    Yeah I use Mobil 1 10w40 in mine. It's not cheap, but it's a LOT cheaper than the Castrol Racing 10w60 in my M Roadster ($11 a quart x 8 :( )

    Adam

    Leave a comment:


  • gearheadE30
    replied
    I prefer 10w40. 10w30 is too light for the M42; the lifters will make a lot of noise. 5w40 would work too, but it can be tough to find.

    I run full synthetic in my motor, with few leaks and no burning. If your motor leaks badly, though, I'd stick with dino oil.

    Leave a comment:


  • E30 Motorsports
    replied
    Whatever you decide, I work for E30 Motorsports, and will do my best to get you a deal. We carry the full line of Amsoil products. Id recommend the 5w-40 European Blend. Let me know.

    -Andre
    E30 Motorsports

    Leave a comment:


  • Farbin Kaiber
    replied
    Thanks Fred-K

    Leave a comment:


  • Fred-k
    replied
    I work at a Lube shop.


    what temperature and Heght are you at?

    I would recomend 10w40 or a 15w40 full synthetic

    Leave a comment:


  • submwar
    replied
    you're a JiffyNoob

    Leave a comment:


  • Farbin Kaiber
    replied
    It may be the m44 I'm thinking of.

    Leave a comment:


  • EN318isPDX
    replied
    Originally posted by Farbin Kaiber
    Don't they require castrol 10/30 or am I on crack? I thought thats what the cap says.

    Hmm my cap doesnt say anything on it.. maybe its time to go synthetic this oil change

    Leave a comment:


  • Farbin Kaiber
    replied
    Don't they require castrol 10/30 or am I on crack? I thought thats what the cap says.

    Leave a comment:


  • EN318isPDX
    replied
    Originally posted by tjts1
    Extra virgin olive oil.
    lol....

    I use regular 10-40 oil but that's because mine leaks out of the front of the motor.. I would recommend Synthetic if you dont leak oil, i recommend a 40 weight.

    Leave a comment:


  • tjts1
    replied
    Extra virgin olive oil.

    Leave a comment:

Working...