No more r3vtard assist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deleted
    Last edited by Wanganstyle; 09-09-2020, 03:11 PM.
    OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

Originally posted by Wanganstyle View Post
      You just stated: I don’t auto cross or circuit drive.

Bmw m division makes the ULTIMATE STREET CAR.

The first Bmw I ever drove was an e30 m3 back in 1999

The first Bmw I owned was a 1997 e36m3

And yes, both are perfection for a street car. The Bmw motorsports setting of the Oem zf diff is part of the equation.

If the unit is worn out the Bmw dealership will sell you a new complete unit

If you need a better setup footwork or alignment it won’t be changed by messing with the diff.

Diy is fun but sometimes it’s stupid; I don’t see anyone making a replica e30 chassis from
      Bare sheet metal because you can just buy an e30 used that Bmw made.
      Oh maybe you misunderstood? My main use for the car is autocross and track days. I just don't professionally compete. The factory LSD (it's actually an e36 LSD) has been in the car for a few years now as I've been autocrossing, tracking, suspension tuning, playing with tire compounds etc... that's why I feel like it's ready for a change. Another friend and I are planning a serious autocross car which is where this diff will finally end up.

You're right though, as a street car I wouldn't do anything more than a stock factory LSD. I have a fresh 3.23 in my 328 daily driver. It's great.
      '89 325i OBD2 S52 BUILD THREAD
      Shadetree30

Comment

Deleted
        Last edited by Wanganstyle; 09-09-2020, 03:10 PM.

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

You posted about a coating, and say the ring and pinion look different. Then you post a photo of a ring gear that sure looks just like any other with no pinion for comparison.

If it was at on time coated, it could have been phosphate, chromate or even just cosmoline for corrosion resistance.

Comment

Deleted
            Last edited by Wanganstyle; 09-09-2020, 03:10 PM.

Comment

After the delta wheel speed to overcome the spring force chosen (16-0 spring pairs installed) the ramps will expand and lock the plates.
              Let's be careful with wording. Wheel speed differences only cause preload torque in a viscous diff, like the E30 325iX rear (and the E46 M3 unit we've discussed previously in this thread). Both torsen/quaife and clutch pack LSDs require throughput torque from the engine in order to generate preload torque.

Comment

Not sure; perhaps consult with a materials engineer? Or ask ZF directly? I have a friend in the steering/knuckle department perhaps he can forward the query to a colleague -

Pinion doesn't seem to be coated
                Ring is coated;

here is a bmw 3,91 Motorsports gear set (newest 2016 version).

Finish is very different between the pinion and ring

Looks like a basic phosphate or oxide coating for corrosion resistance. Is REM polishing an option?

Comment

Deleted
                  Last edited by Wanganstyle; 09-09-2020, 03:09 PM.

Comment

deleted
                    Last edited by Wanganstyle; 09-09-2020, 05:07 PM.

Comment

Not all lsd units have preload in them.

If there is no delta between wheels the ramp section has no reason to expand.

Obviously there must be input from the drivetrain (either positive or negative) otherwise the differential just rolls

If there's no positive or negative driveline torque, then the axle-to-axle torque is limited to the preload produced by the diaphragm/marcel springs as they squeeze the clutch packs. Driveline torque is what drives the pin in between the ramps.

Comment

Deleted
                        Last edited by Wanganstyle; 09-08-2020, 02:53 AM.

Comment

Racing the E30 in PRO3, the Torsen doesn't seem to work so well.
                          Whether that's partially due to setup, I do not know, as I have never tried one.

The cars with OSGiken diffs DO hook up very well. They also tend to have other
                          very nice parts as well.

t
                          just watching the front of the pack...
                          now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Deleted
                            Last edited by Wanganstyle; 09-08-2020, 02:53 AM.

Comment

Question based on a sort of non-ideal situation..

E28 3.25 2-clutch diff - If I simply disassemble the thing, pull the spacer, add 3rd clutch/dog ear, replace the original clutches/dog ears, reassemble.. what am I gaining?

Car is an M52 w/Schrick cams swapped E30, going to be a pure track car. Looking to maximize corner exit grip, reduced oversteer on exit.

Comment

Deleted Winning spec data will never be shared for free.
                                Last edited by Wanganstyle; 09-08-2020, 02:52 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X