No more r3vtard assist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deleted
    Last edited by Wanganstyle; 09-08-2020, 02:48 AM.
    OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

Deleted
      Last edited by Wanganstyle; 09-08-2020, 02:48 AM.

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

Originally posted by Wanganstyle View Post
        168- small
        188- medium
        210- large.

If you wanted 75% locking you would need to run a custom ramp angle center section with 4 clutch discs and steels.

To compare bmw uses 4 Xlutch discs and steels for the Motorsports LSD unit but lock up is set at 40% accel and 25% deccel.

75% both ways is very high locking, pretty extreme Setup. My guys on the king of Europe pro drift circuit run something in this range (proprietary)

Also uping the Number of clutch disc Sets to 5 pairs with custom Case setup can make lockup in the 75% + range. .

The centers cannot be machined, they need to be precision ground.

Stock ramp angles are 45 degrees, with 4 disc pairs they yield 60% locking.

Do you have enough power to power over a 60% locking high lock diff? With two way action this will understeer dramatically compared to the stock setting by bmw for the car.

Are you setting up a drift car?
        basically im building a car for some fun. i want to be able to drift it shall i feel the urge. i also want it to be track driven. and the odd drag day. the car will be street driven also. so a solid all rounder. and the power will be 300-350hp. turbo m20b25

Comment

Deleted
          Last edited by Wanganstyle; 09-08-2020, 02:49 AM.

Comment

this thread is dope.

so u said something about most 3.73's are time bombs.
            i want my lsd to just lock up nicely so what can i do to refreshen it or if it has to be opened up make it lock up more. add another clutch?
            m20 is plenty. im simply a drifter.
            build thread -- http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=206510

Comment

is it possible to calculate max lockup torque?
              '84 318i M10B18 147- Safari Beige
              NA: 93whp/90ftlbs, MS2E w/ LC, 2-Step
              Turbo: 221whp/214ftlbs, MS3x flex @ 17psi

Comment

Most e30's are running around on melted time bombs for diffs. All the 3.25 ratios are for example, almost all 3.73 units as well.
                What exactly do you mean by this?

Comment

Deleted
                  Last edited by Wanganstyle; 09-09-2020, 04:21 PM.

Comment

Tear it apart and see how worn the clutch discs and steels are. Order thicker to make up for case wear.
                    Oh, you were just talking about normal wear and tear.

Originally posted by Jaxx_ View Post
                    is it possible to calculate max lockup torque?
                    you can build a jig to hold the pinion flange and a side axel flange fixed and make a fixture to measure breakaway torque. or you can block wheels in the air and jack up the rear to test it field style as they do for Spec e30
                    Well... Wouldn't that just measure the spring preload torque? The ramps allow the torque applied to the driveline to increase the torque the clutch packs can take... Meaning that as you apply more torque from the engine, the "lockup" torque increases. This leads to the rating of diffs by "% lock", meaning that the combo of ramp angle and number of clutch disks would result in the torque the clutch packs could apply being 25% of the torque applied *to* the unit. So if you end up with 2000 ftlbs at the axle in first gear (Engine torque * trans ratio * diff ratio), the unit would be capable of biasing that torque by up to 500 ftlbs difference left to right.

Comment

Deleted
                      Last edited by Wanganstyle; 09-09-2020, 04:21 PM.

Comment

the sider gears slide on these ramps, the stub axels are mated into the spiders with splines.
                        Referencing the diagrams in your TIS link:

The square lugs on the sides of #9 components are driven by channels on the inside of #12. As they are driven, they push on the cross-shafts which cause the spider gears to push on the side gears... the same way an open diff works.
                        However, because of that power path, the torque through the unit controls how hard the #9 components are squeezing the clutch packs. Since the normal force on the clutch pack is proportional to the torque applied to the unit, the "lockup torque" of the unit is a fixed fraction of the torque being put through the unit.
                        If you all the coefficients of friction, you can calculate what this fraction is.
                        But a rating like "max lockup torque of 500 ftlbs" can not be applied because that torque varies with how much torque is applied to the unit.

A Torsen is a bit different in that the max torque in can bias to the wheel with more grip is a fixed ratio times the torque that the wheel with less grip can deal with.

Comment

Still rocking your diff! I do need new ratio though lol :)
                          Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Deleted
                            Last edited by Wanganstyle; 09-09-2020, 04:22 PM.

Comment

You have an amazing mind I wish to pick in the future, when I've got more money to rebuild my differential...until then, keep being awesome.

Comment

I just came back from watkins glen and running pilot sport cups my 140k 3.94 LSD was failing hard in tighter turns.

what's the best value home rebuilding that will refresh and upgrade while keeping costs down?

It's basically a drive once a week for fun + track day car.
                                1997 BMW 328ic 5spd sport Moreagrun Metallic
                                1989 BMW 325is 5spd with a M50 swap
                                2006 Audi A3 6spd DSG sport with APR stg 2

Comment

Working...
                                X