Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Official Transmission Thread

* MODS Can we make this a sticky in this subforum?*

I've noticed through my adventure of replacing my transmission on my 88 325ic that the g260 interchange thread had some pretty incorrect information in it. So I figured I would go ahead and make my own to clear these things up. I will be using the basic layout from that thread but with corrections. I updated that thread but doesn't seem anyone paid attention.

Identify which trans you have early 'eta', late 'eta', or 'i':

1. early 'eta' trans (9/83-4/86)
    1. 260.0.1270.90 is on the side of the 'eta' trans
    2. shifter mounting about the output flange is only 2xM10 holes for the 84,85,86 style plate mount shifter
    3. shallow bellhousing: Slave cylinder mounting flange = 6 1/2
    4. 2 drilled holes for crank position sensors
    5. smaller output flange
    6. you can use part #25112225369 with M8X140 bolts to use the later style shift arms on the early transmissions.

b) late 'eta' trans (5/86-6/88 )
    1. 260.0.1270.90 is on the side of the 'eta' trans
    2. shifter mounting about the output flange has 2xM10 holes for the late style shifter and the top ears for the later shift arm.
    3. deep bellhousing: Slave cylinder mounting flange = 6 7/8
    4. cast boss for 2 drilled holes for crank position sensors, may or may not be drilled
    5. larger output flange- can be swapped out with the smaller one with an impact wrench, a deep thin walled 30mm socket. you will need a gear puller to remove it. use red loctite when reinstalling the nut.
    6. if you get this one for a 325i, you need part number 21511204525, it is the euro 323i throw out bearing and will make up the difference in the flywheel gap. pelicanparts.com has it for $75

c) 'i' trans
    1. 260.0.1346.90 is on the side of the 'i' trans
    2. top boss for the aluminum bracket of the 87-91 style shifting mechanism.
    3. shallow bellhousing: Slave cylinder mounting flange = 6 1/2
    4. no cast boss in bellhousing for reference sensors
    5. smaller output flange

If you find your 'eta' 260 trans has the deeper bellhousing, you can correct for it by using a thicker throw-out bearing. Sachs P/N 21511204525 is a 30mm bearing and will make up the difference.

If you use the driveshaft/guibo that came with the transmission you'll be fine, the differential end of the driveshaft is the same on all the 6cyl E30s. Or, as stated above, swap out the output flanges on the transmission.

A note on the flywheels:

9/83-4/86 etas: SINGLE MASS Bellhousing depth- 6 1/2
    5/86-6/88 etas: DUAL/TWIN MASS Bellhousing depth- 6 7/8
    325i: SINGLE MASS Bellhousing depth- 6 1/2
    318is m42: dual
    And i believe the m10 318's have single.

If you have a transmission from a twin mass flywheel car going on a single mass flywheel car (ie a 5/86+ g260 or a g240 going on a early eta or a 325i) use the 323i throw out bearing.

Also, the 325i bent style shift arm will work fine with the later eta transmission. The eta straight arm will be too long.
    If you're thinking about putting a g240 on an m20, it will sit at an angle and be too short to use your 325i parts. You will need a custom driveshift and some sort of shift kit to set off the angle. It will mate up to the engine but be sure to use a dual mass flywheel or the euro throw out bearing.

I will update with the m5x/s5x engines and trans for the swap users later.

I thought I read earlier the e36s etc came with 15mm pilot bearings where e30s came with 12mm? Can anyone confirm?

also, here is a great picture for anyone looking at this to see. the far left is the 323i, middle is 318i, and far right is 325i. notice where the tabs are on each (not my pic):

my 323 t/o bearing wasn't silver when i got it from pelican but it sure as hell was a lot thicker than my brand new 325i one.

this thread here is for an m42 but it gives you the idea on dual mass vs single mass and what transmission or throwout bearing to use: http://www.m42club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2063

also, i searched the part number for the euro 323i throw out bearing in google and looked for bmw forum threads and found some good info on tranny swaps and dual mass to single mass flywheel swaps which had a lot of relevance to this. i may go through it and paste the links here...or for the time being you can search google.

*i dont mean to offend Jgood or the guy who he got his info from. It was a good start and had some good info in it, but it just wasn't accurate. I felt the need to make this post to use this basic outline of information that Jgood found and correct it with what I just found while doing my transmission swap in July 2011 on my 88 325i using a 88 325(e)/super eta transmission.

--if you feel like you don't like my information, look at one of the most trusted parts sites we use, pelicanparts. here is the link:

(look at the clutch kits and the pressure plates)
    Last edited by jw 325ic; 08-10-2011, 08:12 PM.

I see that you have your ETA transmission bellhousing types switched up between the early and late ETA. Early is deep, late is shallow.

If I'm wrong let me know and I'll edit my post to remove my comment. I was referred to this post in another thread and got completely confused when I read that and found that I might have had the wrong parts to swap into my E30.

EDIT: OK, I've read a few of your other posts and you seem to have confirmed that you're write-up is correct. I'm going to have to measure myself for good measure.
    Last edited by Pennyw1se; 08-05-2011, 01:25 PM.

Comment

Are you referring to the same T/O bearing when you say:

1)... Sachs P/N 21511204525 is a 30mm bearing
      2)...use the 323i throw out bearing.
      3)...or the euro throw out bearing.

Thanks
      Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
      The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Pennyw1se View Post
        I see that you have your ETA transmission bellhousing types switched up between the early and late ETA. Early is deep, late is shallow.

If I'm wrong let me know and I'll edit my post to remove my comment. I was referred to this post in another thread and got completely confused when I read that and found that I might have had the wrong parts to swap into my E30.

EDIT: OK, I've read a few of your other posts and you seem to have confirmed that you're write-up is correct. I'm going to have to measure myself for good measure.
        You are wrong and I am 100% positive that my 88 super eta transmission was the deep bellhousing. My proof? well... i measured it and it came out to 6 7/8 where as my 325i is 6 1/2. i had my friend measure and take a second look also because i couldn't believe it. also, i had to wait a damn week for the euro 323i throw out bearing (longer length to make up the gap) to get in so i could put it together and drive it. the clutch would not engage with the rest of my I parts. This is also the whole reason i wasted my important time out of my meaningless life making this oh so important thread for people like you so you wouldn't waste time like i had to with buying parts you never thought you needed. be thankful and stop asking questions. i keed i keed.

go here and look at the flywheels and see which ones have dual mass:

also, go here, to the OEM parts list website and tell me what year dual mass pops up at: www.realoem.com

the one with a dual mass will have a deeper bellhousing to compensate the space. the single mass will be shorter.

but most importantly, take off your transmission before you go to the junkyard/sellers house or shop and measure it. make sure it's the right size. if it's got the deeper bell housing, use the 323i throw out. if your originial has the deeper bellhousing, you need to get another deep housing trans or source a cheap single mass flywheel/pressure plate kit.

if i come off rude at all it's because i had my car on jackstands for 3 weeks and had to get RIDES to work like a little kid because everyone on these e30 forums went off of data from some dude back in 2006 who just posted up and had a picture or 2 for reference. i can take pics of my transmission but it doesn't give you the same data that part number from bmw will give you and actual experience. i'm not on here to waste my time. i love e30s and appreciate other people who take their time to buy parts and keep their classics on the road. i'm just here to help you guys out. go to a junkyard, have them pull a tranny from an early eta and a late eta. bring a tape measure if you're being lazy about it and don't trust me. keep in mind though that i just put an 88 eta (had the late model front and rear valance etc) transmission on my 88 325i. the shifter lined up great, but the throw out/flywheel gap is where you get screwed with this one. now, if you have a 325i and you buy a 325i g260, disregard this thread. But if you have a 325i and are planning on buying an eta trans because they are plentiful at every single junkyard, then read this thread carefully. print it out and take it with you.
        Last edited by jw 325ic; 08-12-2011, 08:41 PM. Reason: beer

Comment

Originally posted by LJ851 View Post
          Are you referring to the same T/O bearing when you say:

1)... Sachs P/N 21511204525 is a 30mm bearing
          2)...use the 323i throw out bearing.
          3)...or the euro throw out bearing.

Thanks
          yes.

the t/o bearing ending with 525 is the 30mm bearing that came on the 323i and is often referred to as the euro throw out bearing. check out the pic i added above to see the difference in size.
          Last edited by jw 325ic; 08-05-2011, 11:55 PM.

Comment

I definitely appreciate someone correcting incorrect information. Truth be told most of my confusion comes from the fact that I have a mish mash of already available parts.
            Im starting with an auto 88 seta, a late eta tranny, 89 ds, and swapping out the seta with a 2.5 out of an 87 is. Yeah, not the cleanest or easiest way to do it but its what i have to work with so seeing years old information being disproven was a shocker.... and left me with more questions than i already had because of the parts I have.

Comment

No worries man. From my experience, my late eta transmission had the larger output shaft and the 89 ds will be smaller. i bought the 30mm output flange socket from bavauto for about $50 after shipping and whipped the output flange off with an impact wrench and then a gear puller. this is important if you don't buy the drive shaft with the transmission. so if your original driveshaft is in great shape, do this as you will end up spending the $50 on the driveshaft to fit anyways but the u-joints may be in bad shape. junkyard driveshafts are hit or miss.
              Last edited by jw 325ic; 08-10-2011, 08:14 PM.

Comment

on your first pic of the throw out bearings, can u give the distance from the matting/ bearing face to the fork tabs? please. I got a sach bearing for a 5spd swap and the part # are wacked.Just wanna know if the correct thickness for an i trans. Thanks
                Now with 2.7i power!!!

Comment

Apparently I either have the holy grail of eta transmissions, or a frankenstine piece. I have a 6 1/2" deep slave mount, tabs for the aluminum shift carriers, and a small output shaft. It’s an 86 casting date too...
                  sigpic

A man chooses, a slave obeys... Would you kindly?

Comment

Originally posted by pantelones View Post
                    Apparently I either have the holy grail of eta transmissions, or a frankenstine piece. I have a 6 1/2" deep slave mount, tabs for the aluminum shift carriers, and a small output shaft. It’s an 86 casting date too...
                    sounds like you have an early 86 eta trans.

AlphaE, sorry for the long wait on the reply but i cant remember exactly as its been a few months since ive researched this, but check that link with m42club or whatever. if that doesn't list it then just search google...i did that for about an hour until i felt confident enough with the facts i had to try my setup. search euro 323i throwout bearing and a lot of forum results should pop up with discussions about the measurements.

Comment

2/86 build date Canadian eta-

large output flange, dual mass flywheel...

... and OEM parts, no bolt buggering, etc, so I'm pretty sure it's the way
                      it was when it rolled off the boat.

t
                      now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

I posted in the other Transmission thread (http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=109919) how I had the deep bellhousing but didn't want to buy a new throwout bearing so I fabricated a plate that fit between the throwout bearing tabs and the release fork, moving the bearing forward. I think it will work but I can't test it till I finish off some other things on the car.
                        sigpic'87 325is, S50, Lightened Flywheel, Ground Control suspension, Strut Tower Braces, Roll Bar, Five point Harness, lots of little go fast things.

Comment

good luck to you on that, maybe post details and pics if it works great and lasts you awhile with no issues. thing about factory parts is i know i don't really have to worry about them for a good 10 years or more now

Comment

Agreed. I did this because I don't even know if the new transmission works, I really want to get the car off the lift, the car isn't a daily driver (track days and autocross), and I can always get the bearing later. Doesn't hurt that I have access to a machine shop.

I'm not too worried about wear. The part is mainly in compression and only when you shift it. The part is made from 6061T6 aluminum so should out last the car. My biggest concern is galvanic action between the steel and the aluminum.
                            sigpic'87 325is, S50, Lightened Flywheel, Ground Control suspension, Strut Tower Braces, Roll Bar, Five point Harness, lots of little go fast things.

Comment

I got an 87' 325e 5spd I'm trying to put into my 1987 325i. I have the late eta trans.

therefore i have to get the euro 323i throwout bearing, plug the crank sensors, and use the dual mass flywheel? Do i have that right?

Comment

Working...
                              X