Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bmw Oem part avail to mount zf6 speed transmission (2005+) into e30

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #46
    Question regarding this item from zionsville.

    Is this for 2008.5+ compatibility with E36 style flywheels, or for all newer ZF6 wanting to run an e36 flywheel?

    There is a local 2007 328i 6 speed for sale, I'm looking to run with my M52B28/aftermarket single mass 240mm flywheel.
    Originally posted by priapism
    My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
    Originally posted by shameson
    Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

    Comment


      #47
      anyone have a list of ratios for the ZF 6 speed that will fit the m20 in place of the G260?

      im assuming there is more than 1 set of ratios?
      Last edited by digger; 01-04-2015, 04:07 PM.
      89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

      new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

      Comment


        #48
        Originally posted by Northern View Post
        Question regarding this item from zionsville.

        Is this for 2008.5+ compatibility with E36 style flywheels, or for all newer ZF6 wanting to run an e36 flywheel?

        There is a local 2007 328i 6 speed for sale, I'm looking to run with my M52B28/aftermarket single mass 240mm flywheel.
        IF you wish to run an aftermarket flywheel; just purchase one for e46 330i zhp or z4 3.0 6mt use. BEST use of time/effort; sell the flywheel not designed for ZF 6 speed.

        I actually have never seen that item; its discontinued and I would likely be scared of it causing vibrations.

        the 2008.5+ ZF 6 speed gearboxes have the pilot bearing INSIDE the input shaft; - ***YES INSIDE***; its pretty insane. no pilot bearing in the engine or flywheel

        Originally posted by digger View Post
        anyone have a list of ratios for the ZF 6 speed that will fit the m20 in place of the G260?

        im assuming there is more than 1 set of ratios?

        you only have 2 options really; to match the angle of the M20 engine you need a DIESEL 6 speed unit

        E46 320D late model 2005/6 gearbox (earlier had 5 speed)

        OR

        e90 320D

        Both will have short 1/2 gears and 3/4/5/5 spaced pretty close for turbo
        OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

        Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30



        Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

        Comment


          #49
          Thanks H, I just bought this ZF320 flywheel/clutch setup and new OEM bearings, slave, etc. Too much money to start again right now, maybe in the future.

          I found one mention of that zionsville piece vibrating loose... lots of potential to damage things there.
          Originally posted by priapism
          My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
          Originally posted by shameson
          Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

          Comment


            #50
            Originally posted by Northern View Post
            Thanks H, I just bought this ZF320 flywheel/clutch setup and new OEM bearings, slave, etc. Too much money to start again right now, maybe in the future.

            I found one mention of that zionsville piece vibrating loose... lots of potential to damage things there.
            Zionsville piece should be ok; I'd use loctite on the screws.
            if it were to fail or vibrate loose it would be UGLY.


            the e90 part seems to fit the e36 auto trans x member pretty well; someone has a good thread on BFC with this (also from the great land of canada)

            If you have a new zf 320 setup you could fit a e36M3 euro 6mt on it and use the garagestatic v8 6mt trans mounting items:

            http://store.garagistic.com/e30-v8-6-speed-bracket?
            OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

            Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30



            Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

            Comment


              #51
              The figures in this chart are with a 3.15 diff. It is possible the GS637DZ has different ratios to the GS637BZ. I am finding 1st gear so low on this box I am just using 2nd gear from a dig with the M50B28 turbo vanos motor. I'm running a 3.25 LSD diff at the moment.

              -----------------
              89 M50B28 turbo
              LINKY
              -----------------

              Comment


                #52
                I have the zf gs6-37 transmission from an E46 330ci I believe. installing it into my E30 that has S52 w/ g260


                Just ordered my 22 spline clutch disc w/ e36 m3 pressure plate from UUC,

                I got the pilot bearing adapter from TC Kline (i think. zionsville has no interest in selling it anymore individually)


                Ordered the double sheer shifter carrier, and factory selector rod.


                now im going to order the part mentioned in the OP, looks great thanks for sharing! too bad its not $20 anymore haha.


                Now I'm wondering, should I just fabricate something together for the bottom piece / cross member or is there an OEM piece I can buy that gets pretty close?

                Do i use the E90 automatic one or the E46 6 speed one.

                I currently have a white325is brace.

                Comment


                  #53
                  Originally posted by bmwe30s52SC View Post
                  I have the zf gs6-37 transmission from an E46 330ci I believe. installing it into my E30 that has S52 w/ g260


                  Just ordered my 22 spline clutch disc w/ e36 m3 pressure plate from UUC,

                  I got the pilot bearing adapter from TC Kline (i think. zionsville has no interest in selling it anymore individually)


                  Ordered the double sheer shifter carrier, and factory selector rod.


                  now im going to order the part mentioned in the OP, looks great thanks for sharing! too bad its not $20 anymore haha.


                  Now I'm wondering, should I just fabricate something together for the bottom piece / cross member or is there an OEM piece I can buy that gets pretty close?

                  Do i use the E90 automatic one or the E46 6 speed one.

                  I currently have a white325is brace.
                  I can't find that adaptor on the tc Kline website. Do you have a part number?
                  S52-Powered 1987
                  sigpic

                  Comment


                    #54
                    Use a 330i FW. What FW do you have (if any) right now?
                    -----------------
                    89 M50B28 turbo
                    LINKY
                    -----------------

                    Comment


                      #55
                      Just bought a used g260 and sold my 3.25 lsd. Fail x2. Great info though. Thanks!

                      Comment


                        #56
                        Originally posted by Nutzy View Post
                        Use a 330i FW. What FW do you have (if any) right now?
                        I have the e36 M3 one that matches my e36 M3 trans. I have an e46 M3 6-speed that I'm going to install this fall and I just want to get the pieces together. Trying to figure out if I need a new flywheel and that adaptor or just a new disk.
                        S52-Powered 1987
                        sigpic

                        Comment


                          #57
                          Bump for any more new info out there

                          Comment


                            #58
                            Originally posted by Curt Hayes View Post
                            I have the e36 M3 one that matches my e36 M3 trans. I have an e46 M3 6-speed that I'm going to install this fall and I just want to get the pieces together. Trying to figure out if I need a new flywheel and that adaptor or just a new disk.
                            1. s52 flywheel bolts happily to S54 (and obviously s52) and works with 5 or 6 speed.

                            2. pressure plate must match flywheel.

                            3. friction disc must match transmission;

                            1/2/3 must also be compatible physically.



                            A. S52 engine S52 flywheel+ 6mt Getrag 420 friction disc + s52 pressure plate + 6mt g420 getrag transmission is proven compatible.

                            B. S54 engine + s52 flywheel+ 5mt ZF320 with s52 friction disc+s52 pressure plate was my own choice.
                            Last edited by Wanganstyle; 05-27-2015, 03:41 PM.
                            OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

                            Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30



                            Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

                            Comment


                              #59
                              Originally posted by Wanganstyle View Post
                              A. S52 engine S52 flywheel+ 6mt Getrag 420 friction disc + s54 pressure plate + 6mt g420 getrag transmission is proven compatible.
                              Did you mean S52 or S54 pressure plate?
                              I'd heard that the G420 has a short input shaft and the pilot bearing is in the flywheel? That's why I'm asking. Just trying to plan ahead so I'm not air-freighting heavy parts around trying to get my car back on the road in minimum time.
                              S52-Powered 1987
                              sigpic

                              Comment


                                #60
                                Look at photos on the interwebs.

                                Dont ask for spoons to feed on
                                OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

                                Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30



                                Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X