Drive line problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drive line problem?

I have just bought an 88 325 super eta. It is doing the strangest thing I have seen. If you drive car do not give it lots of throttle it runs just fine. If you floor it in 1st gear (manual tranny) it will flat get. The clutch does not slip.

The strange part is that SOMETIMES in any of the gears but 1st it acts like the tranny is popping out of gear. There is a klunk that can be felt as well as heard, if you keep your foot on the gas it will just rev like it is in neutral. Let off of the gas and there will be a klunk again and you will be back in gear. The shifter never moves, you can (again sometimes) make all this happen with just playing with the throttle.

An Example, on the highway 60mph 5th gear you go to pull past someone, you floor it and the car will start to pull, then it will hit 4000rpm, perhaps 4500rpm and it will be like you popped the car out of gear, you hear and feel the klunk, take your foot off the gas, you will feel the klunk again, you are back in gear now, and off you can go. This cycle might or might not happen again.

I thaught it might be the clutch, but it does not act like it. I am thinking perhaps tranny, but what in there could cause this kind of thing. I had a old VW Bug that would pop out of gear, but that is not happening. It is the strangest thing I have seen.

Sorry for the long post for my first post.
    Thanks for your help.
Working...
X