Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

grinding noise coming from transmission

hey guys,

I am in a bit of a predicament and I was hoping someone can help me out.
    My e30 has been making a weird grinding sound from the gearbox that comes randomly

It started off very faint and progressively got louder and louder, not loud enough to sound like a drastic problem, but loud enough to be noticable

The first few days the sound began, I put in some transmission fluid hoping that would extinguish the problem, which it did for a week or so. After that the sound returned. When it came back I thought that maybe a full flush would make the sound disappear instead of just topping the fluid off.

I did the flush and I even put in fluid into the differential just incase there was a slight possibility that the noise was coming from the differential. The sound got less noisy but is still there at times.

Things to know about the sound

1) It comes randomly but I've noticed it usually comes up around 3rd gear and up

2) The sound still continues even if I put pressure on the clutch pedal

3) The sound continues if I shift into neutral but eventually goes away as the car slows down.

Hopefully someone here can help me pinpoint and figure out the problem as soon as possible. thanks!
Working...
X