sound diagnosis help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sound diagnosis help

basically im having a sound in synchronization with engine rpm but i dont believe that it is the timing chain.

EXAMPLE: im cruising second and im hearing like a light ticking/maybe chain sounding noise but if i push the clutch and toss it in neutral the revs fall and i dont hear the noise in synchronization with the same rpms as if it was in gear.

i recently did my valve cover gasket and had a look at the timing components and it looks great, no backfires no reving issues flies to 7100 rpm, i dont hear any chain noise on cold start up (did the tensioner as well) but i here some noise which is coming from what seems like the glovebox area and sometimes i feel like its coming from the transmission. the sound is most prominent around 2300-3000 maybe however only when the transmission is engaged. I took a "stethoscope" (screwdriver) to the timing cover and i dont hear any scarping or anything just the good mechanical wurrring. IM not too worried it still rev the piss out of it, but

i have a 318is so im sure i have a getrag 240. are these trannys known for giving out some weird noise? is it the cat ?

anyone?
Working...
X