Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TobyB
    replied
    So, the E46 3 liter cars all got a rear CV- having dicked around with mine recently, it isn't cut for 'plunge'
    like the outside cv on a front wheel driver is.
    So it is basically a fixed- length joint.
    A cv doesn't have to have the ability to adjust for length- it's just that it can, if made that way.
    A tripod joint (wheels rather than balls) is often used for plunge in higher- torque applications.

I don't know if this is true of all rear BMW driveshaft cv's, but it is on the E46 3L non- m's.

t

Leave a comment:

• BeirBrennerE30
    replied
    Originally posted by kronus View Post
    Heyo.

It was the top. If you used the 12mm raised bushings (and diff spacers), the top would clear. However, I am not sure if the bottom would, and I did not take measurements of the clearance there. However, I need to be in the rear end of my touring as soon as ECS figures out how to escape its own ass, in which it's trapped, and ships me the rear end rebuild stuff I ordered in mid-september. So. I can take some measurements for you.
    Thank you. I appreciate that.

Leave a comment:

• kronus
    replied
    Heyo.

It was the top. If you used the 12mm raised bushings (and diff spacers), the top would clear. However, I am not sure if the bottom would, and I did not take measurements of the clearance there. However, I need to be in the rear end of my touring as soon as ECS figures out how to escape its own ass, in which it's trapped, and ships me the rear end rebuild stuff I ordered in mid-september. So. I can take some measurements for you.

Leave a comment:

• BeirBrennerE30
    replied
    yes, then 26 11 1 226 881 is the right one.

you won't have 3mm of radius to play with in the subframe hole. I had to trim the CV boot's shield to clear the subframe without rubbing.
    Kronus,

Resurrecting this thread. Where did the CV hit the subframe? Was it the top of the subframe pass through? If you used subframe raising bushings would it still hit? that would give another 10-15mm on clearance to the top.

Leave a comment:

• kronus
    replied
    yes, then 26 11 1 226 881 is the right one.

you won't have 3mm of radius to play with in the subframe hole. I had to trim the CV boot's shield to clear the subframe without rubbing.

Leave a comment:

• BeirBrennerE30
    replied
    I don't *remember* it, because that would be ridiculous. I did take a photo, though -
    Lol you don't keep a spreadsheet with parts used?

For a pre 9/90 525i it looks like you would have been using: 26 11 1 226 881, 80mm bolt circle with 8mm bolts, 24tooth spline. That fits flange "B" from the photo above. The e30ix touring apparently has the same bolt pattern but you cant buy the CV separately it seems.

Post 9/90 the e34 525 switched to 26 11 1 229 075, 86mm bolt circle with 10mm bolts, 25tooth spline. that fits flange "A" from the photo above. This is the same CV from the e36 M3, and I think the same bolt pattern but different CV part number from the e46 M3 (32tooth spline).

I think there is only a 3-4mm radius difference between the 2.
    Last edited by BeirBrennerE30; 04-17-2019, 01:15 PM.

Leave a comment:

• kronus
    replied
    Originally posted by BeirBrennerE30 View Post
    Do you remember the part number for that e34 CV? 26 11 1 226 881??
    I don't *remember* it, because that would be ridiculous. I did take a photo, though -

that appears to be a Lobro number though, not BMW. it came out of an 89 535i, if that helps.

Leave a comment:

• BeirBrennerE30
    replied
    The larger flange uses a larger diameter CV that will not fit into the subframe hole. The smaller E34 CV just barely fits through the subframe as-is.

Its internal spline went straight onto my E30 iX touring rear driveshaft, but it came *off* a typical E34 driveshaft. If you are piecing together a driveshaft, you can use an E34 rear section for the spline drive since E30 touring driveshafts are not exactly growing on trees.
    Do you remember the part number for that e34 CV? 26 11 1 226 881??

Leave a comment:

• The Dark Side of Will
    replied
    Originally posted by BeirBrennerE30 View Post
    So thats an e34 CV on an e30ix driveshaft in the link you sent?
    E30 iX Touring *ONLY*. The iX sedans/coupes have a four bolt flange and a u-joint.

Its internal spline went straight onto my E30 iX touring rear driveshaft, but it came *off* a typical E34 driveshaft. If you are piecing together a driveshaft, you can use an E34 rear section for the spline drive since E30 touring driveshafts are not exactly growing on trees.
    Interesting bit of trivia... good on BMW for keeping common splines.

Leave a comment:

• kronus
    replied
    there is more information in a couple of posts earlier in the thread I linked - see #56 onward

Leave a comment:

• kronus
    replied
    The larger flange uses a larger diameter CV that will not fit into the subframe hole. The smaller E34 CV just barely fits through the subframe as-is.

Leave a comment:

• BeirBrennerE30
    replied
    I have an E30 iX touring with the CV as well. It is a similar CV to the E34 unit, but it is stepped down to clear the subframe.

With either a tiny bit of spacer or some modifications to the CV boot, you can run an E34 CV and it'll clear. Info here - https://r3vlimited.com/board/showpos...&postcount=106

edit: you'll want diff input flange B
    So thats an e34 CV on an e30ix driveshaft in the link you sent? the B input flage is on the right below:

The difference be tween the diameters of A and B flanges is 6mm so just 3mm radius. Do you think that would clip the subframe? The e46m3 CV looks like it wouldnt extend outside of the lip of the input flange. Also the larger input is slightly longer so maybe it would stick through the subframe more, not sure if that would help or hurt:

Last edited by BeirBrennerE30; 04-16-2019, 03:10 PM.

Leave a comment:

• kronus
    replied
    I have an E30 iX touring with the CV as well. It is a similar CV to the E34 unit, but it is stepped down to clear the subframe.

With either a tiny bit of spacer or some modifications to the CV boot, you can run an E34 CV and it'll clear. Info here - https://r3vlimited.com/board/showpos...&postcount=106

edit: you'll want diff input flange B

Leave a comment:

• BeirBrennerE30
    replied
    Originally posted by The Dark Side of Will View Post

I think OP was looking for a way to use an E36 driveshaft whole instead of having to frankenstein one together from E30 & E36 parts.
    Actually no. I was thinking of getting a custom s54/e30 carbon fiber one-piece driveshaft made. Since there is like 0 interest of anyone else, doing this group buys for e30/s54 carbon driveshafts are out the window. Hopefully I can use an e36/e46 M3 CV joint at the diff input I can ask one of the e46 M3 carbon driveshaft suppliers to build me a e46 M3 drive shaft but with a X.XX" shorter tube.

In the e46 swapping steel for carbon and slightly increasing the diameter seems to be enough to push the critical speed higher for a 1-piece since everyone on M3forum seems to have positive reviews of their carbon 1-piece. With the e30/s54 shaft being even shorter it should be even better. Ultimately I am leaving it up to the experts designing the thing to tell me if it wont work because of diameter or length, but its up to me to make sure it will fit.

Interesting that the ix uses a CV. I know the e34 does too. I think the correct input is available:

A in the above image. All of these are inputs for a medium case diff. Swapping the input is no issue though I am concerned that the slightly larger in diameter input is going to interfere with the subframe, or if the shaft itself will interfere with the subframe where it passes through it.

Leave a comment:

• The Dark Side of Will
    replied
    BMW used a two piece driveshaft to increase the critical speed of the driveshaft above the RPM it would see during extended driving at maximum speed on the autobahn. A one piece driveshaft *of the same diameter* would have too low a critical speed and resonate.

In order to be stiff enough to push the critical speed higher, a one piece driveshaft would have to be larger in diameter, which makes it harder to fit in the tunnel with exhaust and everything else.

I think OP was looking for a way to use an E36 driveshaft whole instead of having to frankenstein one together from E30 & E36 parts.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X