Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dual Mass Flywheel to Single Mass Flywheel [early model trans to late model m20]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dual Mass Flywheel to Single Mass Flywheel [early model trans to late model m20]

Hello everyone!

I'm in the process of converting my 91 325i auto to a manual. I pulled the transmission out of a donor car (87 325e) and was looking for advice as to what exact parts would be needed when I install this into my 91 in regards to converting it to a Single mass flywheel.

Just FYI, the main reason I want to convert is because of the cost. The flywheel pulled from the donor looks to be original and definitely needs to be replaced (and I read can't be resurfaced) but the cost of the dual mass flywheel is quite more expensive than the single setup so I figured it'd be a good time to convert it.

I'm looking to buy a new clutch kit as well as single mass flywheel but I read that I may need to get a larger throw out bearing to make up for the space of the dual when switching to single seeing as the bell housing is extended for the dual setup. I've read a bunch about scenarios where you are just converting flywheels (needing new starter, etc.) but not so much when converting and installing it with a later model m20.

Here are the main points that I need help with....

- What clutch kit do I get? (what year/model should I be searching for when shopping? I heard some say 86 325e because it had a single mass?...some say late model.... I'm confused??)

- What Flywheel do I get? (What year/model should I be searching for when shopping? I assume the same as the previous answer but just want to double check.)

- Will the throw out bearing that comes with the above kit be the proper size or do I need to purchase a separate longer throw out bearing?

- What size flywheel bolts will I need with the single flywheel setup?

- Are there any other parts/things to consider to accomplish this?

If pictures of the donor transmission,flywheel,etc. help with determining what is needed, let me know and I can post pictures as well.

Thank you in advance for your help/advice!!!
    Last edited by eight-0-eight; 09-22-2020, 01:20 PM.
Working...
X