ls1 cooling hoses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ls1 cooling hoses

I've followed some of you guys advice and used a stock front drive pulleys and stock water pump for the ls1. I then used an aftermarket radiator, the largest I could find, for an e36. The radiator fits perfectly but I am having a though time finding the right combination of radiator hoses that work.
    Anybody that has a similar set up, would you guys kindly share how you did it?
    Also how did you get your intake setup to fit? I bought a 4 to 3.5 90* reducer but I'm going to have to trim it like crazy to get it to fit.
    It's the last thing I need to get my swap working, i'm very excited!!! :D:D

Thanks for the help
    LS1 91 325i - BC Coils, e46 m3 brakes,style 32 17x9, Red Plastidip, H/C/I

If its like mine, I took two 90's the right length And joined them with the correct size pcv pipe. As to the intake, I had to make a bubble on the front of my hood to accommodate the maf and filter.

Comment

I havent done it yet but I was gonna build a copper hard line for the upper so that it can go under the intake without resting on the radiator and for the lower i was gonna use this http://www.jegs.com/i/Gates/465/25474/10002/-1 No idea if its gonna work, just seems a lot easier and more clean that splicing.
      Worlds 1st LS powered e30 cabby.
      Cab
      billac: 92 Lagunengrün cabriolet + cadillac LQ9 + Nitrous + rotiform SJC

Raphael: 88 Lagunengrün IX + Hella 500's + Red ACS type 1's

Shaggin Wagon
      : 01 325xiT 5 speed

91 MR2 GT3076TS + E85 = 505whp + antilag = wheelies
      88 CRX OEM+ 42mpg DD.

Comment

As far as an intake good luck... I am still struggling to get mine to work. Im using a "cobra head" 4" 90 that I got to fit in between the tb and radiator however I am forced to run it towards the drivers side because of the damn pulley on the pass side. 4'' charge pipe + MAF + 4" filter + ABS pump = intake nightmare.

Im debating getting something custom made that goes from a 4" to an oblong oval that will fit in between the radiator and pulley to a 4" and then run that through the place hole where the AC condenser sat. That way the filter would be out of the hot engine compartment and get fresh air directly from the passenger side brake duct.
        Cab

Shaggin Wagon

88 CRX OEM+ 42mpg DD.

Comment

for cooling i think for the upper i'm going to get two 90 deg hose and join them with a coupler I found at O'rellys. For the lower i have no idea, it's like a super tight S shaped, i'm probably going to try to find a hose that does a 180 deg turn and then back.

As far as intake, as BMK said, i have no way of going to the driver side because my master cylinder and booster are right next to the ABS pump and right close to the power steering pump. The other way there is the tensioner pulley.

I was thinking of making a fiberglass or carbon fiber piece that could go from the 4 to 3.5 in 90 deg silicone reducer I have to the MAF. I'm going to try design a piece, might do some flow analysis (college should be useful for something right?), and see if it fits. Technically if I keep the same area the flow should not be restricted.
          ll keep you guys updated if I make a piece.

Comment

Think Corvette. It uses a squashed duct up and over the radiator. That would be challenging on the E30 but the principle is the same going to the side.

Comment

apiazza2010 Did you figure out what worked for the lower radiator hose? Im still having kinking issues with me :/
              Cab

Shaggin Wagon

88 CRX OEM+ 42mpg DD.

Comment

For the lower radiator I ended up using 3 section of lower coolant hose from the Camaro. I don't like it and I'm trying to find something more reliable.
                I used joints that Orellys sells btw.

Comment

So I realized what I did earlier was garbage and found a solution that does not involve welding a angled fitting on the radiator.
                  This was done using a 1.5" U bend, a 90 silicone and a straight silicone, all 1.5", make sure the bend has a tight radius of 2.5 or 3", or it won't fit. I got them from your favorite silicone intakes store.

Comment

Working...
                  X