Project: Spielereien. AKA "The dumpster fire"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by delamaize View Post
    I know you guys are probably getting sick of the little BS updates, but I like making them, so Onward.
    No way keep them coming! Looking back at your thread after you get this swap finished up you are going to appreciate the little updates that you wrote.

Valve covers look good!

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
    Transaction feedback
    - jpod999

Comment

Mishimoto Z3M radiator ordered, O2 sensors ordered, Plan is in place to make a new MAF housing, and I'm planning on going out and getting the square tube tomorrow to finish the radiator support....
      Dumpster Fire Pilot

Comment

Parts came.....

the expected issue...

X5 oil filter housing and hoses on order...
        its getting there
        Last edited by delamaize; 07-09-2017, 09:34 PM.
        Dumpster Fire Pilot

Comment

X5 oil filter housing and hoses arrived, won't be able to do anything with it until tomorrow, At a fire Investigator conference. Hopefully I will be able to get the radiator core support done in the next few days. We are on par for a potential first start at the end of the month....
          Dumpster Fire Pilot

Comment

Plan for X5 filter has been established, Removeable core support 90% done, top radiator mounts finished. Closer and closer we get....
            Dumpster Fire Pilot

Comment

Removable Radiator support is all mocked up, and just needs a few more bolts to be finished. We did things a little different, and made a few mistakes, but I'm ok with how it turned out, and someday is going to be replaced with a square tube custom job. So for now, it will work. Also, I got the upper radiator brackets mocked up, I got some shaping and painting to do, but it will work. I got the 540i oil filter housing removed. I need to find someone to braise some AN fittings on the existing fittings, so I can place the X5 housing in the old condenser location. I also desperately need to clean the new X5 housing, it looks like the motor it came from had a catastrophic failure, as it is full of sludge and aluminum shavings. Progress is moving pretty well, Hopefully I can get the harness back on it in the next few days, and maybe get it all sorted out. E30 picnic is approaching quickly, I already signed up, and payed my entry fee. I'd love to be able to drive it, but if it has to come on a trailer, so be it.

Last edited by delamaize; 07-09-2017, 09:34 PM.
              Dumpster Fire Pilot

Comment

Looks good in there!

Would it not have been easier to move the rad hose? Like cut the stub off and reweld on at a different angle?
                -Christian

'02 ///M3 CarbonSchwartz 6MT daily beast
                08/91 Mtechnic II 325IC alpine/lotus
                318iS, slow build/garage queen...
                '37 Chevy pickup, the über project
                Originally posted by roguetoaster
                Be sure to remind them that the M42 is one of the best engines ever made, but be sure to not mention where it actually falls on that list.

Comment

Originally posted by DER E30 View Post
                  Looks good in there!

Would it not have been easier to move the rad hose? Like cut the stub off and reweld on at a different angle?
                  I had literally no room, I thought about it, and I even assessed moving it to the left side. The other idea was to move the 540i housing to the left, but that would require some crazy bends to make it work. This way, I will be able to use standard 540i hoses, just cut down.
                  Dumpster Fire Pilot

Comment

Ah, I getcha, that'll be easier whenever you need to replace parts anyway to have bolt in parts
                    -Christian

'02 ///M3 CarbonSchwartz 6MT daily beast
                    08/91 Mtechnic II 325IC alpine/lotus
                    318iS, slow build/garage queen...
                    '37 Chevy pickup, the über project
                    Originally posted by roguetoaster
                    Be sure to remind them that the M42 is one of the best engines ever made, but be sure to not mention where it actually falls on that list.

Comment

More progress tonight, I got my bastard removable radiator support finished. This was really an Exercise in unfucking a fuck up, but overall I'm happy. I got the oil filter housing location worked out, got the hole for it cut bigger, and made a mount. I also got the wiring harness put back on also. I just might make the picnic yet.

Last edited by delamaize; 07-09-2017, 09:36 PM.
                      Dumpster Fire Pilot

Comment

I needed to sweep the garage today, so I put her on the ground, and shoved her outside for a bit. I got the X5 oil filter housing cleaned up, The poor engine that this thing came off of was abused badly. The filter that was in it was jet black, caked with sludge, and metal shavings. I used up 3 cans of brake clean getting it cleaned up. No signs of it's past abuse left now. I also got a start on getting the clutch bled, I need a 2nd person to help me, or I need to buy a vacuum pump.

Last edited by delamaize; 07-09-2017, 09:37 PM.
                        Dumpster Fire Pilot

Comment

HOLY SHIT! IT LIVES!
                          It don't idle, but it lives!
                          Hopefully video tomorrow.....
                          Dumpster Fire Pilot

Comment

awesome. congrats!
                            sigpic
                            Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
                            92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
                            88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
                            88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
                            87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
                            12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Originally posted by delamaize View Post
                              HOLY SHIT! IT LIVES!
                              It don't idle, but it lives!
                              Hopefully video tomorrow.....
                              Congrats!!

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
                              Transaction feedback
                              - jpod999

Comment

Congrats!