M60 remote filter question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M60 remote filter question

If anybody is running a remote oil filter on your m60 swap, what filter and filter mount did you use? Does it matter as long as it's a filter? Thanks for the input.

Originally posted by NateE30 View Post
    If anybody is running a remote oil filter on your m60 swap, what filter and filter mount did you use? Does it matter as long as it's a filter? Thanks for the input.
    Don't do it, Justin and I had so many problems with the remote filter setup that we both just removed ours and used the factory housing with longer lines. We kept getting pin holes in our filters even if they were covered from road debris. Neither of us ever figured out what was the root cause of the pinholes.

Comment

Yeah, don't do the aftermarket universal filter crap. That setup cost me so much time/money in the long run it's not even funny. Find a spot for the stock oil filter housing. I put mine where the A/C drier used to be.

85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
      e30 restoration and V8 swap
      24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

Holes in the filters?!? That's crazy. Ok how did you adapt the factory housing to AN fittings? I do like the idea of using the factory filter.

Comment

I cut the stock oil pipes and had a local shop braze steel AN10 fittings on them. Been leak free for at least 15k miles now.

Knowing what I know now, I would have just used JIC fittings for the hoses, with normal hydraulic hose. This AN shit is outrageously priced. The difference between AN and 37* JIC spec is negligible for this application (mainly just thread tolerance), and the weight savings can't be more then 5 pounds.

Comment

Also, the e38/e39 filter housing is smaller than the e34/e32 housing, and has nice horizontal mounting holes, so it should be easier to mount.

Comment

Hey thanks. I suppose I can still run it thru my cooler on it's way back to the motor. I work at AG store so we have all kinds of hyd fittings so that part should be easy.

Comment

I looked for some pictures of my latest set up but I didn't have any on my phone. If I think of it I'll snap a few.

Comment

Thanks for the help.

Comment

Originally posted by JGood View Post
                    Yeah, don't do the aftermarket universal filter crap. That setup cost me so much time/money in the long run it's not even funny. Find a spot for the stock oil filter housing. I put mine where the A/C drier used to be.

Hi JGood,

I'm having to look for a spot to mount my filter also as my radiator top hose runs straight into it. I like where you've put yours. How does it go when you have to do a filter change? Has it drained enough once you've drained the sump that it does'nt overflow?

Comment

Originally posted by E30Bug View Post
                      Hi JGood,

I'm having to look for a spot to mount my filter also as my radiator top hose runs straight into it. I like where you've put yours. How does it go when you have to do a filter change? Has it drained enough once you've drained the sump that it does'nt overflow?

It's actually higher than the sump, so the oil will fully drain out of the filter housing even without draining the oil pan.

Just make sure you build a beefy bracket, and tie it into the frame rail as well. There's a lot of twisting force when you loosen the cap.

Comment

Probably not practical for most due to location but I'm going to run it like this on my project unless there is a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Mykk540i/6 View Post
                          Probably not practical for most due to location but I'm going to run it like this on my project unless there is a problem.
                          youre a madman!
                          We're in deep now boys
                          1988 325i SETA - Daily driver
                          1988 340iL - Track car
                          My M60 V8 swap thread here
                          [oo==OO==oo]

Comment

Working...
                          X