No announcement yet.

Project Overly Ambitious

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All this weekend and most of next week I will be on the East Coast meeting my newest nephew. Beforehand, I wanted to make sure that I got the rear subframe cleaned, strengthened, and painted.

The welds don't look super pretty but I got plenty of penetration, so they should hold up nicely. Chose blue because why the hell not?

I got the strengthening plates from Garagistic: http://store.garagistic.com/e30-rear...l-reinforcment

When we return I have to reseal the new rear diff and then reassemble the rear end to go back in the car.

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
    Transaction feedback
    - jpod999

Comment

This post is heavily non-v8 E30 swap but, as this is more of a build thread than just specifically a V8 swap thread, I think it's OK.

Got back yesterday from the East Coast, I couldn't believe how hot it was over the Memorial Day weekend- the humidity kills me! On this trip I got another chance to expand my E30 tourism and meet someone I've known through the forums for a long time.

I posted on IG saying I was going to be in New York and Galen (bataangpinoy here on r3v/e30tech) got in touch to tell me about a big "cars and coffee" like event that happens every Wednesday night during the summer at Bear Mountain State Park about 45 minutes north of NYC. Luckily my Wife, Mother-in-law, and I were heading into the city Wednesday night to visit with more family and kill time before we caught our flight out of JFK early Thursday morning, so convincing them to swing by the show wasn't too difficult.

The show turned out to be an awesome event with all sorts of cars and not a whole lot of show boating that tends to happen at events like this (eg Mustangs wrecking on their way out of the show). There was a wide range of cars, everything from old and new European, American, and Japanese cars, to trucks and even a few semis. Here are some of the pictures I took from the event:

I'll start with Galen's touring; super clean and with a really well put together S50 swap, it looks like it came from the factory this way!

Old Police Dodge in mint

Beautifully rebuilt Willys

Alfa in perfect condition

SO MUCH TRACTION

Out of all the BMWs there was only one car that had Apex wheels! I was surprised because I see them all the time here on the West Coast.

I'm not entirely sure why but this CRV made me smile

I was really impressed with how clean this LS1 swap was; from looking at the seats it appears he was going for a modern GTO kinda thing

Cleeaaaan E24

I've always liked modified semis, it's awesome that they were representing themselves at this event

The venue for this show was spectacular with the Hudson on one side and forested mountains on the other. There was delicious looking BBQ going that you could smell from the parking lot, as well as classic car show music like Sweet Home Alabama playing through the PA system. They even had a raffle going at one point! If I lived in the area, I would definitely be there every week.

Thanks for the invite Galen, it was great to finally meet you after 10ish years of knowing each other through the forums! Hit me up if you are ever out in the Bay Area!

Now that I am back home I'm going to try and start reassembling the rear end this weekend. First I need to tear down the diff and reseal it, and then do the same with all four calipers. I'm also trying to decide what to do about new half shafts. I know O'Reilly's has cheap Cardone (I think that's who makes them) rebuilt units but I have heard really mixed reviews about these. I emailed Raxles to see whether or not they have E30 axles as I have only ever heard great things about them. Back to work after a week off!
      Last edited by jpod999; 06-03-2016, 04:29 PM.

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
      Transaction feedback
      - jpod999

Comment

PSA- MasterPro halfshafts from O'Reilly's are a pain in the ass. The inner boots are a little too thick right at the flange which makes the bolts super tough to get in as they pinch/drag rubber as you push them in and then tighten them down. A few bolts even managed to catch up on the band itself. It really just looks like it's a bad design, this is my fourth time doing a diff on an E30 and I have never had this issue as I've always reused the halfshafts.

You see the two little bits of rubber that are sticking up around the clamp? That's what I'm talking about.

keywords:masterpro e30 axles halfshafts installation
        Last edited by jpod999; 06-27-2016, 09:03 AM.

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
        Transaction feedback
        - jpod999

Comment

nice work man! this is making me want to get to work on my car again!
          sigpic
          The "Because Race Car" M60 V8 Build Thread
          On Instagram Straight Flexin' #BecauseRaceCar

Comment

Originally posted by ncrmtrsprtsE30 View Post
            nice work man! this is making me want to get to work on my car again!
            Thanks, I have some more progress to post but I'm waiting until this particular part of the project is finished. Stay tuned!

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
            Transaction feedback
            - jpod999

Comment

I finally have my rear suspension back together, I can't believe it took this long to be honest.

-Diff mounting point reinforcements from Garagistic
              -Rear swaybar reinforcements from Garagistic
              -80a subframe bushings from Garagistic
              -80a rear trailing arm bushings from Garagistic
              -80a diff bushing from Garagistic
              -S2.93 with new output shaft and cover seals
              -MasterPro axles
              -New FAG wheel bearings on both sides
              -New rotors
              -rebuilt calipers (probably should have painted these but meh)
              -new Textar brake pads and sensor
              -braided stainless brake lines from Ireland Engineering

The one thing I haven't installed yet is my Garagistic secondary diff mount as I have seemingly misplaced ALL the hardware it came with. When I realized this I was pissed! I am going to install this as it sits right now as it should be easy enough to install the secondary mount later on (when the hardware hopefully surfaces).

I'm hoping to get this all on the car this weekend, hopefully it doesn't fight me too much!

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
              Transaction feedback
              - jpod999

Comment

Update: Got everything installed! It wasn't too tough, but being my first time doing this there were definitely some hiccups. Feels good to have that project back up into the car, nice to have that garage space back.

Next up the front subframe will come out. I have to repair the cracks in the motor mount areas which will subsequently be strengthened with Garagistic reinforcement plates. Then I will modify the steering rack mounts to lower them down for the E46 rack I have from Rack Doctor. This will gain me clearance to the oil pan, maybe eventually I'll modify the oil pan so I can ditch the subframe spacers. After the subframe goes back in the front suspension can follow it in.

In this phase I will also weld on the transmission mount extenders from Garagistic. Once everything is back in I can do my first motor test fit!

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
                Transaction feedback
                - jpod999

Comment

Great idea to refresh everything in stages before the swap get into full swing. I'm having to go back and slowly finish refreshing suspension now that the car is active. Keep up the good work!
                  1987 325i-M60b44 swap

Comment

It sounded like a good idea at the time, just adds sooooo much more work! Basically, all of the things I've wanted to do to my car over the course of 12 years of ownership is happening right now. I have definitely been very overwhelmed a couple of times in the last few months haha.

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
                    Transaction feedback
                    - jpod999

Comment

Can't believe I missed this.
                      Si vis pacem, para bellum.

New Hawtness: 1995 540i/6 Claptrap
                      Defunct too: Cirrusblau m30 Project
                      Defunct (sold): Alta Vista

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

I've been working on the front subframe for the last few weeks. I welded the cracks on the motor mount tabs, then I welded in both motor mount tab reinforcement plates, followed by welding on the swaybar reinforcements. I was almost finished modifying the steering rack mounts for clearance but then my Harbor Freight angle grinder caught fire. Like, I actually saw flames. So now I have to see if they will replace it 6 months after I bought it.
                        Last edited by jpod999; 07-27-2016, 01:27 PM.

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
                        Transaction feedback
                        - jpod999

Comment

6 months? Sounds about the average life span of something from HF. HA!

How bad were your subframe cracks? I should check mine.

Comment

Originally posted by shiboujin View Post
                            6 months? Sounds about the average life span of something from HF. HA!

How bad were your subframe cracks? I should check mine.
                            I know right, I should have known better than to get their angle grinder.

Here are the cracks:
                            Originally posted by jpod999 View Post
                            Passenger side:

Driver side:
                            Keep in mind that I have 262k on an M42.

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
                            Transaction feedback
                            - jpod999

Comment

Subframe project completed:

-Welded motor mount tab cracks
                              -Welded in both motor mount tab reinforcement plates from Garagistic
                              -Welded in swaybar reinforcement plates from Garagistic
                              -Modified steering rack mounts for E46 purple tag rack to increase oil pan clearance

The wife and I are celebrating our one year anniversary this weekend down on the Central Coast so this subframe won't be going back into the car until at least Thursday of next week.

Then I have to rebuild the suspension that all bolts to it. After that the car will be able to sit down for the first time in months, I'm excited for this!

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
                              Transaction feedback
                              - jpod999

Comment

Wow im amazed at how many s50/m60 swapped e30 there are in the bay area, im in the middle of swapping a s50 into my friends 89 e30 325i, located in brentwood here would love to see what you have brewing up, keep it up looks like you are almost there , as far as obd compliant i already have talked with the guys at Las positas college where they have a referee station there, they seem to be really cool and relaxed, i have 3 cars to get Bar'd soon

Conrad

Comment

Working...
                                X