Project Overly Ambitious

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sr71sss View Post
    Wow im amazed at how many s50/m60 swapped e30 there are in the bay area, im in the middle of swapping a s50 into my friends 89 e30 325i, located in brentwood here would love to see what you have brewing up, keep it up looks like you are almost there , as far as obd compliant i already have talked with the guys at Las positas college where they have a referee station there, they seem to be really cool and relaxed, i have 3 cars to get Bar'd soon

Conrad
    Yup! The Bay Area has a super strong E30 scene and has for years. Welcome to r3v!

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
    Transaction feedback
    - jpod999

Comment

installed my front subframe today. I used the included Garagistic subframe spacer hardware but they were too long:

I ended up using two stock bolts for the front mounting holes and the extended Garagistic bolts with stacked washers for the rear two mounting holes. You can see the gap in the above picture.

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
      Transaction feedback
      - jpod999

Comment

It's finally back down on the ground!!!

Here's the full suspension rebuild list:
        Rear:
        -Diff mounting point reinforcements from Garagistic
        -Rear swaybar reinforcements from Garagistic
        -80a subframe bushings from Garagistic
        -80a rear trailing arm bushings from Garagistic
        -80a diff bushing from Garagistic
        -S2.93 with new output shaft and cover seals
        -MasterPro axles
        -New FAG wheel bearings on both sides
        -New rotors
        -rebuilt calipers (probably should have painted these but meh)
        -new Textar brake pads and sensor
        -braided stainless brake lines from Ireland Engineering

Front:
        -Motor mount tab crack repair
        -Garagistic motor mount tab weld-in reinforcements
        -Steering rack mount modification (direct E46 rack bolt in, no spacers)
        -Garagistic sway bar weld-in reinforcements
        -Garagistic subframe spacers
        -Offset Garagistic poly CABs rotated down ala MonkeyMadness
        -New FEBI control arms
        -New Karlyle sway bar endlinks
        -Rack Doctor rebuilt E46 330i steering rack with E36 tie rods
        -Rebuilt calipers
        -New Textar brake pads and sensor
        -New rotors
        -braided stainless brake lines from Ireland Engineering

Phew! I just finished moving to a new house, one with a garage large enough to house the car. I'm excited to be able to work on it in my own home finally!

Next up, 6spd tranny mount extensions will be welded on. Next weekend I hope to be able to do my first test fit. The intention is to be able to mount the motor and tranny in the car, then load it up on a flat bed and bring the car to my new house.

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
        Transaction feedback
        - jpod999

Comment

I got the toe to a much more acceptable, "I'll roll somewhat straight now", state today. Small steps, small steps.

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
          Transaction feedback
          - jpod999

Comment

Saturday afternoon was a HOT day, so naturally that's when my dad, roommate Kevin, and I decided to shoehorn the engine and transmission into my car. It took us about an hour and a half from start to finish to get them bolted into the chassis. I tried at first to do it with the tranny crossmember bolted on, but quickly pulled it off to gain clearance.

I beat in the firewall a little bit, but didn't go overly crazy, with the motor in place there is a good inch or inch and a half clearance to the coolant crossover pipe using the mounting holes closest to the firewall (Garagistic mounts).

My drivers side engine mount isn't lining up as you can see in the photo above. I think I remember in reading 36brua's thread that he had this same issue and modified the mount. Has anyone else run into this issue?

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
            Transaction feedback
            - jpod999

Comment

Subframe spacers... so you didn't notch the oil pan?
              My current E30 M62B44 swap

Comment

Originally posted by wspellmann View Post
                Subframe spacers... so you didn't notch the oil pan?
                No, I haven't gone down that road yet. Eventually I would like to but I already bit off a lot more than I can chew on this project so that will have to wait.

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
                Transaction feedback
                - jpod999

Comment

I feel like that's the way these V8 build are. You devise a plan in your head and it seems easy and you can get it done quick.....2 years later and the car finally sees the pavement
                  1989 325i LS Swap (Money Pit):https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=244933
                  COTM Feb 2019: https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=428404

Comment

Originally posted by Pootis View Post
                    I feel like that's the way these V8 build are. You devise a plan in your head and it seems easy and you can get it done quick.....2 years later and the car finally sees the pavement
                    Haha yup, it really is quite a lot of work!

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
                    Transaction feedback
                    - jpod999

Comment

What eng mounts are you using ?
                      I used the condor mounts that have a through bolt from each end, so the threads are offset. They may need to be 'clocked' /rotated to sit flush.
                      My CA legal M60 swap

The happening in our garage

Comment

Originally posted by 36brua View Post
                        What eng mounts are you using ?
                        I used the condor mounts that have a through bolt from each end, so the threads are offset. They may need to be 'clocked' /rotated to sit flush.
                        Garagistic mounts, the bolt goes right through the center of the mount on this one I think. When I pull it back out I'll look more closely.

I got the dash out today with the help of a friend and my wife, progress!!

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
                        Transaction feedback
                        - jpod999

Comment

Nice progress. Keep up the good work

Comment

I had the same problems with subframe spacer bolts being too long and my engine mounts don't line up properly either. I contacted garagistic about the subframe bolts and never got a response from them. Not sure what to do about the engine mounts at this point.

On another topic, do you have a plan for the throttle cable? Like what cable are you planning to use?

Comment

Originally posted by ArtFoodBMW View Post
                              I had the same problems with subframe spacer bolts being too long and my engine mounts don't line up properly either. I contacted garagistic about the subframe bolts and never got a response from them. Not sure what to do about the engine mounts at this point.
                              Doesn't really make sense right? I have yet to contact Garagistic but I too am expecting it to be tough to get a response. If I do, I'll update here!

On another topic, do you have a plan for the throttle cable? Like what cable are you planning to use?
                              It's been months since I planned this out and it looks like I didn't write anything down for this on my spreadsheet I have going, but I think I was planning on running an E34 or E39 throttle cable. What is your plan?

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
                              Transaction feedback
                              - jpod999

Comment

E34 throttle cable works well, that's what we went with on our m62 swap.
                                1987 325i-M60b44 swap

Comment

Working...
                                X