Project Overly Ambitious

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jpod999 View Post
    Doesn't really make sense right? I have yet to contact Garagistic but I too am expecting it to be tough to get a response. If I do, I'll update here!

It's been months since I planned this out and it looks like I didn't write anything down for this on my spreadsheet I have going, but I think I was planning on running an E34 or E39 throttle cable. What is your plan?
    Please do update!

Originally posted by Zacm829 View Post
    E34 throttle cable works well, that's what we went with on our m62 swap.
    I was planning to use the m20 cable (prior to doing any research) so I'll probably use an e32/e34/e39 cable from the junkyard, assuming there is one in the yard.

Ill probably use the garagistic billet bushing things too (Can't see how they could screw those parts up...)

Comment

The column came out this weekend and the steering lock assembly has been transferred over to the non-airbag column. I also pulled out my clutch and brake pedals- I remember installing these on an auto to manual swap I did a few years back and can't believe I was actually able to do it back then! It's a serious pain to get the pivot bolt out!

Here is a shot of the non-airbag column with the steering lock assembly installed:

It was pretty easy to do. Pull the lockring off the shaft and cut a slit in the black conehead bolt big enough to fit a flat head screwdriver- remove screw and pull off steering lock assembly.

Here is a comparison of the two different types of columns:

Work marches on!
      Last edited by jpod999; 10-20-2016, 09:17 AM.

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
      Transaction feedback
      - jpod999

Comment

Good work! Love the idea of a M60/62 E30, but have other projects. Glad you are still trucking away!
        sigpic
        Project: 87' 325iS... 325iS
        88 Alpine 325i
        1/2 88 325iX

Comment

Originally posted by dugly52 View Post
          Good work! Love the idea of a M60/62 E30, but have other projects. Glad you are still trucking away!
          Thank you sir!

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
          Transaction feedback
          - jpod999

Comment

Every time I see you post and I see your white e30 in the picture of your post, I get so jealous of how nice your car looks. This build is also wonderful.

Comment

Originally posted by jeenyus View Post
              Every time I see you post and I see your white e30 in the picture of your post, I get so jealous of how nice your car looks. This build is also wonderful.

Thanks! I unfortunately don't have those wheels anymore but I'm hoping the V8 makes up for it ;)

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
              Transaction feedback
              - jpod999

Comment

Amazing build, looks to have allot of potential, i'm just as balls deep as you right now subframes off, reinforcing all the things, all the poly is getting installed, full 0 mile rebuild on S50B30 for my '89 sedan.

Can't wait to see your build finished & spinning tires
                Bazooka Photography (Facebook, Website, Flickr) :borg:

Comment

Originally posted by iBazooka View Post
                  Amazing build, looks to have allot of potential, i'm just as balls deep as you right now subframes off, reinforcing all the things, all the poly is getting installed, full 0 mile rebuild on S50B30 for my '89 sedan.

Can't wait to see your build finished & spinning tires
                  I can't wait to feel the suspension after all of this work, good luck on your project!

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
                  Transaction feedback
                  - jpod999

Comment

Column installed! It wasn't as straightforward as I thought it was going to be.

Apparently BMW changed the column opening on the firewall sometime in '85, they opened it up quite a bit. The column I bought is from an '84 so when I went to bolt it up, it was no where near correctly lined up. Long story short, I cut up the stock firewall mounting plate that came on my car and welded it to the '84 plate to get it all to line up. It ended up working out perfectly!

Here's the firewall hole in the later cars, I think that the hole on the earlier cars were much smaller and circular:

This is a bad picture but it's the only one of the welding process I got. You can see the shape of the early mounting plate on the left side:

Here's the finished product:

Bolted up, seen from the other side of the firewall:

Installed!

Now I guess I'll move on to the brakes? I still need to buy the Wilwood pedals and the clutch master, I already have the brake masters and the Garagistic mounting bracket.

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
                    Transaction feedback
                    - jpod999

Comment

Started reading your thread. Some nice work being done. Can't wait to see the final results, but also enjoying the process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by htseng View Post
                        Started reading your thread. Some nice work being done. Can't wait to see the final results, but also enjoying the process.
                        Thank you!

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
                        Transaction feedback
                        - jpod999

Comment

I finished up my E46 sourced steering linkage. I did this for a few reasons. First- after the column swap the stock linkage would no longer work so a new one needed to be made or purchased. Second- this linkage is much slimmer than the stock E30 unit, space needed for the drivers side exhaust.

I bought the two stock E46 pieces for about $90 on ebay, much cheaper than the Flaming River stuff.

Last night I pulled the ABS pump. I want to finish removing all the brackets I don't need, clean the bay, and then spray it in white so that I don't have to keep looking at the cosmoline.

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
                          Transaction feedback
                          - jpod999

Comment

nice work so far

i have some tips on the e46 knuckle send me a message

-
                            Project
                            Parts for Sale
                            Feedback
                            YouTube Channel

Comment

We ended up having some clearance issues with our driver side header clearing the two e46 shafts. We ended up welding the inner and outer sleeves to gain some clearance over using bolts. Just a heads up!
                              1987 325i-M60b44 swap

Comment

Originally posted by Zacm829 View Post
                                We ended up having some clearance issues with our driver side header clearing the two e46 shafts. We ended up welding the inner and outer sleeves to gain some clearance over using bolts. Just a heads up!
                                Interesting...Alex (iwantspeed) was telling me how his E46 shaft developed a bunch of play even though it was bolted down tightly with nylocks and that I should weld mine up. Seems like there's another vote for them to be welded!

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
                                Transaction feedback
                                - jpod999

Comment

Working...
                                X